My E3 Top FIve

Posted by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I'm a little biased because I'm a big Metal Gear fan, but I honestly think MGSV is the visually best-looking next game I saw at E3. Battlefield 4 single player was really impressive too, but I'll give it to Metal Gear since it's open world. Also, the gameplay. The gameplay in Metal Gear has traditionally been somewhat decisive, but I think it's excellent. Adding open world to the mix raises the gameplay possibilities substantially. Plus, I've always wanted an open-world stealth game. The fact that Metal Gear turned out to be that game is just icing on the cake.

Final Fantasy XV

Apparently Square Enix and I are on the same page. I've been been on the Versus train since the thing was first announced way back in 2006, and I've been beating the "Versus should be a main entry in the series" drum for just about as long. This game was always the most interesting thing to carry the "Fabula Nova Crystallis" branding, and based the scant information out there the most interesting thing Squeenix has worked on in several years. It could totally fail to live up to the hype, but that E3 trailer made the game look pretty rad and I'm more excited than ever to get my hands on the game.

Super Mario 3D World

In my opinion Super Mario 3D Land is the best Mario game since Super Mario World, and I'm so thrilled that Nintendo chose to go that 3D Land direction for the next big Mario console game because it's exactly what I wanted. I'm a little worried that they might oversaturate this style of Mario game like they've been doing with the New Super Mario Bros. series, but I'll save those complaints for Super Mario 3D World 2. For now I'm super excited to play 3D World.

Destiny

I personally believe that Bungie is one of, if not the best shooter developer out there. They seem to be one of the very few who actually understand game design and I love their sandbox-style approach to combat in the Halo series. They appear to be carrying all of this in Destiny, while throwing in some heavy RPG elements and a persistent world. I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Super Smash Bros.

I wasn't going to include Super Smash Bros. here in my top five because, while it looks great, it looks like ... more Smash Bros. However, I feel it deserves special mention because Nintendo is doing what Capcom seems incapable of; respecting and doing justice to one of the most iconic and popular characters/franchises in gaming history. Well done.

Honorable Mention

• Titanfall
  • Mercenary Kings
  • The Division
  • The Crew
  • Battlefield 4
  • Hotline Miami 2

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.