Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2013

Concept »

The nineteenth annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center on June 11-13, 2013.

My Top 5 Games of E3 2013.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Edited By DarthOrange

Hey duders, E3 was pretty damn spectacular this year. Between the two big press conferences by Microsoft and Sony and the surprisingly strong showing by Nintendo, I would argue this has been one of the best Electronic Entertainment Expos in years. Even though I am only mentioning my top five here I think there were easily four times as many great games that were shown this week.

5. Mario Kart 8

He's SexyToad, the sexiest.
    He's SexyToad, the sexiest.

Nintendo is finally going to get online play right this time, I can feel it in my bones. Honestly though, even if they don't Mario Kart games are still ridiculously fun to play locally and even if they only nail that I will be happy. It looks like they are bringing back everything from previous Mario Karts into this game with the exception of the Double Dash stuff which is great, I was afraid that the motorcycles would not be returning. The promise of online that is more then just racing suggests to me that they are also going to be allowing Balloon Battle and Coin Runners which is pretty great. A lot of this is wishful hoping on my part but even at its worst, Mario Kart is pretty damn good.

4. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Realistically furry monkeys, even Saints Row doesn't go this far.
    Realistically furry monkeys, even Saints Row doesn't go this far.

Donkey Kong in full high definition glory showing an amount of detail I never thought I would see from him. That fur looked amazing and the art style continues to be gorgeous. And then there is that four player co-op. I really like local cooperative games, and at the moment Nintendo is one of the few companies in the industry still pumping out these kinds of games. I love that these games also are always packed with more secrets then any sane person would ever be able to find on there own. I know some people are disappointed that the studio didn't make another Metroid, but I am honestly glad that they are not just going to put Donkey Kong back in a box never to be seen staring in his own platformer for another decade.

3. The Crew

Livin' life a quarter mile at a time.
    Livin' life a quarter mile at a time.

I'm not going to lie, when I was watching the Ubisoft stream and saw a car game trailer start up I groaned. Another racing game? However, after seeing the gameplay that they showed this has become my most anticipated racing game. This giant open world MMO racing game seems like like it is basically Destiny with cars. And also there is customization! When was the last time we got a truly great arcade racing game that had customization and cops? Midnight Club L.A.? We are long overdue for another game like this, and I applaud Ubisoft for attempting to make something this ambitious unlike those other next gen racing games which seem to just be prettier versions of current gen racing games.

2. inFamous: Second Son

Is this the magnet tar pit trap?
    Is this the magnet tar pit trap?

One of my favorite games this generation was inFamous 2. I love superheroes and Sucker Punch created the best superhero game to date with its sophomore effort on PS3. Everything I have seen of Second Son looks even better. His smoke powers alone seem like they would be enough to carry the entire game and yet Sucker Punch has stated that he will still have more powers. The main character looks interesting and the traversal looks like it will be even more fluid then it was in the previous games. Hopefully with this game coming out early in the console generation Sucker Punch will finally get the attention it deserves as a developer on the level of Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica.

1. Super Mario 3D World

I like chicken, I like liver.......
    I like chicken, I like liver.......

This game looks like a blast to play. They are finally bringing back the Super Mario Bros. 2 crew in a 3D game. Once again, I love me some local multiplayer, and this game just looks absolutely fantastic. And it looks like each character will play differently unlike the New Super Mario Bros. games. Luigi once again jumps like a goof and Princess Peach can float again.The visuals also look stunning. It is great to finally see Mario in high definition. I personally never got the chance to play 3D Land on the 3DS so I personally do not feel any fatigue for the style. Also there is a power up that gives Mario a cat suit. Is this game enough to save the Wii U from the trouble it is in? I don't know. What I do know is that I cannot wait to get my hands on this game later this year.

-

So what games did you duders like the most from E3 this year and why?

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Didn't expect to see SM3DW as the #1 game tbh. I also thought Second Son looked incredible, even though I didn't really care for Infamous 1 all that much. Other than that, can't say I wasn't excited for the new Metal Gear (again, haven't been super into the past ones, but I'm WAY into this one), Mirror's Edge 2, New Smash Bros should be sick if I ever get a WiiU, and Watch_Dogs still looks neat.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So I see you're a Nintendo fan.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Crew looks kinda cool.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

One out of five aint bad...

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So I see you're a Nintendo fan.

My sentiment too.

But that's not a bad thing, to each their own.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I don't think it's because people have any fatigue for the style in 3D world. I think people, including me, a HUGE fan of the 3DS game expected a hell of a lot more after the Galaxy games. Maybe, possibly (should have!) something that makes the unique pad a big part of the game.

It seems crazy to think that even Sega's Sonic game seems far more inventive than the big core Mario game.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By Little_Socrates

Being waaaay behind on E3 this year, I'm pleased that somebody is excited for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. For the record, I didn't want Retro going NEAR another Metroid; I was much more interested in something new for the studio. But that game looks good, and I'm glad it isn't that kind of weird "bummer-good-game" that most E3 press announcements tend to be.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#10  Edited By Slag

@darthorange Not at all what I was expecting from you. I thought you were a #teamSony kinda guy. I gotta admit I totally paid no attention to Nintendo's conference because I don't have a WiiU. Now you've got me curious to what was in it.

for me FFXV has my interest the most, just because I have no idea where Square is going with this one. It could great or it could be absolutely terrible.

Quantum Break also has me curious, I'm hoping ti will eventually come to PC. Because I really don't want to get a XBone

After that Deep Down/Dragon's Dogma 2. I loved loved Dragon's Dogma. but it wasn't there really. It's a system seller for me though.

p.s. I don't think Gorillas have fur. Pretty sure it's considered hair since they are primates.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By DarthOrange

@slag said:

@darthorange Not at all what I was expecting from you. I thought you were a #teamSony kinda guy. I gotta admit I totally paid no attention to Nintendo's conference because I don't have a WiiU. Now you've got me curious to what was in it.

for me FFXV has my interest the most, just because I have no idea where Square is going with this one. It could great or it could be absolutely terrible.

Quantum Break also has me curious, I'm hoping ti will eventually come to PC. Because I really don't want to get a XBone

After that Deep Down/Dragon's Dogma 2. I loved loved Dragon's Dogma. but it wasn't there really. It's a system seller for me though.

p.s. I don't think Gorillas have fur. Pretty sure it's considered hair since they are primates.

I love the PlayStation and would still consider it my preferred platform but I like Nintendo stuff as well.

As for the gorillas with fur, Iwata specifically said during the E3 Nintendo Direct "look at the realistic fur on Donkey Kong." Maybe primates have fur in this universe?

@jasonr86 said:

Though Infamous looked cool. But @darthorange is a bitch.

You're face!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@darthorange: did he really? I guess that does make it canon then.

hah wow! Maybe Donkey Kong is a mutant Gorilla. Part Donkey part Gorilla.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.