Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2013

Concept »

The nineteenth annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center on June 11-13, 2013.

Ubisoft's E3 2013 Press Briefing: Repeat Business

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

Give this to Ubisoft: Their press conferences are rarely boring. Something about the company's general sensibility lends itself to a certain brand of goofy fun. Granted, last year's press conference was almost a little too loose, with banter between hosts Aisha Tyler and YouTube personality Tobuscus having a less-than-coordinated experience working with one another. Still, when it came to the games, there was good, weird, occasionally unexpected stuff there.

I am as excited for Rayman Legends as anyone. I think I'm just burned out on watching demos for a game that really ought to have been out already.
    I am as excited for Rayman Legends as anyone. I think I'm just burned out on watching demos for a game that really ought to have been out already.

This year's conference featured similarly good, weird, and occasionally unexpected stuff. In fact, much of it was extremely similar, weird, occasionally unexpected stuff to last year's showing. There was a Rayman Legends demo (which we only got because Ubisoft delayed the game half-a-year to make it multiplatform), there was yet another Splinter Cell: Blacklist trailer, we got a Just Dance demo, we got a new Watch_Dogs trailer (which wasn't nearly as exciting as the lengthy demo shown last year), and though it was a different Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed IV scratched many of the same itches that the trailers for AC III did in 2012--and there wasn't even a gameplay demo for that one.

Thankfully, there were a few newcomers and surprises peppered into the exceedingly "usual" portions of this year's event. The show opened with the debut of a new Rocksmith game, featuring a freshly shorn Jerry Cantrell playing guitar alongside his own band's tracks, and seeming only halfway sure that Alice In Chains' music would actually appear in Rocksmith 2014. South Park: The Stick of Truth got a brief new trailer which didn't show us much that we hadn't seen before, but did manage to provided a nebulous "holiday" release date. There were even two new Trials games, Trials Fusion and Trials Frontier, which will be released for next-gen consoles and iOS, respectively.

More exciting were the two new games shown at the event. The Crew, a new multiplayer-focused driving game from the studio behind Driver: San Francisco, received a lengthy demo that showed off its premise of players infiltrating different criminal organizations across America. The way the game blended multiplayer and single-player objectives in a lobby-less environment was pretty cool, and though the actual game didn't look nearly like the all-CG trailer first shown, The Crew was, to me anyway, the most exciting thing Ubisoft showed.

Others might have been more enamored with Tom Clancy's The Division, an open-world RPG from Massive Entertainment that takes place during a ludicrously complicated near-future scenario. It literally took three minutes of pure exposition to even get to the game demo, and all I really got from it is that there is some kind of terrible money virus that destroys society for some reason. The gameplay showed players in a tactical battle against some unnamed nefarious force at a police station in New York City. After using cover and some light squad tactics, the team looted the ruined station before retreating outside to face more intense attacks. It's tough to say from the brief demo exactly what it is about The Division that makes it stand out from other combat-heavy games, but it at least looked pretty interesting.

Massive's The Division was certainly an intriguing prospect, but didn't we just get a third-person action game set in a semi-dystopic America to close the show last year?
    Massive's The Division was certainly an intriguing prospect, but didn't we just get a third-person action game set in a semi-dystopic America to close the show last year?

Granted, it looked interesting in many of the same ways Watch_Dogs looked last year. The two games are different, of course, but closing out the show with yet another paranoia-fueled third-person action game was emblematic of the somewhat repetitive vibe of this year's Ubisoft conference. Even Aisha Tyler (thankfully detached from last year's co-host) seemed to be going to the same well of jokes she relied on last year, wearing a #girlwood t-shirt in reference to last year's use of the term. Still, even with a perhaps slightly overly familiar vibe, many of Ubisoft's games ranged from interesting looking to actually pretty exciting. I mean, yeah, we've seen Rayman Legends a million times now, but how great does Rayman Legends still look, right?

As is customary, we'll have more on Ubisoft's lineup from the E3 2013 show floor.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Cramsy

Really excited with what we've seen at e3 so far

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Time_Lord

The Divison plus Oclus Rift I would die and go to heaven

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Glad they got rid of Tobuscus!

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That The Division, an Open World MMO, is not coming to PC blows my mind (and also saddens me, cause the game looked pretty interesting)

Black_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Black_Otter

I am extremely excited for The Division and The Crew!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

It was a press conference, all right. It didn't leave enough of an impression for me to say much more than that.

BLipp18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BLipp18

Im almost 100% sure theres going to be an AC4 demo at Sony, and possibly even a Watch Dogs demo too.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh Ubisoft.. The Division looks really interesting.

SoundChaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time_lord said:

The Divison plus Oclus Rift I would die and go to heaven

Well.. It's a third person game, so that complicates things considerably if you want to use the Oculus Rift. (it's primarily made for first person games). Mirror's Edge 2 with Oculus Rift, now we're talking.

Akujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What was up with the giant jiggling boobs in the Ray man Legends section lol. I was like "oh jeeze people.. really?"

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stimpack

Aisha kind of rocked the house on that one. Most times I can't stand the stage personalities they put up there, but she's pretty alright.

Also everything about Rayman and the Rabbids absolutely sucks, and Assassin's Creed is played-out garbage.

Watch_Dogs and The Division look like they could be great, but I said the same thing about AC when I first saw that E3 trailer. Here's to hoping! Also a good showing for those car-loving gamers out there.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Tireyo

I think Ubisoft did really good this year.

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akujin: MAN, I was thinking the same thing exactly! What the hell was that?! I was literally the only one in my group here who said anything about it at all. That said, they're French and their children prostitute themselves, so... I guess it makes sense.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Manatassi

Ok come on Alex you don't have to be that Jaded all the time... The Division looked friggin awesome and they made it extremely clear what that game was and what the premise entailed.

Putting it simply: A super virus spreads at a bad time of year causing chaos and you are part of a team designed to maintain national stability in such an instance. pretty straightforward.

Between The Crew, Watchdogs, Rayman Legends and The Division Ubi had an extremely impressive looking lineup in my opinion.

baltimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I want to play South Park: The Stick of Truth.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Crew is friggin Fast and Furious the Game...I am Sold.

I had no idea the Division was an open world RPG, seems to be a lot of those coming in the soonish Gen. That could make thigns interestin

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wished those Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia rumors were true...maybe they'll be at Sony?

Avatar image for cuttablefurball
    cuttablefurball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tireyo643: Yeah they had a good number of games I would actually buy if they came out right now.

dOm_CaTz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ubisoft: The Trailer.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Brendan

I liked this one. I've been reasonably pleased with all of them so far. A few interesting things at each.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody else get an Alpha Protcol vibe from The Division's combat? It looked more RPG than pure shooter to me. If so, I think that makes it far more interesting than it would otherwise be, but I doubt it'll be a popular choice.

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By graf1k

Ubisoft and EA win E3.....

WHAT THE FUCK?!

deathinstinct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deathinstinct

Aisha did great! Like Ubisoft's tone throughout and enjoyed the games they showed. Especially Watch Dogs, Division, and South Park.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Ubisoft's conferences. They're so wonderfully, terribly brilliant. It's always entertaining, if nothing else.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mrfluke

ubisoft and Ea did real well, its a great E3 so far

Xavis00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Xavis00

I was hoping for more information on Rainbow Six: Patriots.. Like if it was still in development even.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By myslead

all in for Watch Dogs and The Division.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By me3639

Is this the same title used in every Nintendo conference?

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Division, The Crew and Watch Dogs are all games I'd like to play as soon as possible. The Division looked almost like a zombie-less Day Z in terms of the open world, survival, etc. The Crew is like a Fast and the Furious MMO it seems (which is a great thing).

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Division, The Crew and Watch Dogs are all games I'd like to play as soon as possible. The Division looked almost like a zombie-less Day Z in terms of the open world, survival, etc. The Crew is like a Fast and the Furious MMO it seems (which is a great thing).

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sirdesmond

StoffInator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foxmulder: oh god yes. I don't mind the female host tho (sorry forgot her name, it's late) but she is pretty good. Minus that geek shirt she had on.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#33  Edited By MeatSim

You want see more gameplay then CGI trailers? too bad.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Phished0ne

@foxmulder: oh god yes. I don't mind the female host tho (sorry forgot her name, it's late) but she is pretty good. Minus that geek shirt she had on.

I love Aisha Tyler, she is very funny, a great actress, and amazing on Archer. But i really dont love her has a press conference host. I get it that Ubi wants to throw an attractive female who genuinely loves games out there to host their show, but please just bring back Joel Mchale. Having Joel out there makes me forget im watching a press conference and excuse the corny-ass jokes as part of some co-marketing with The Soup.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm mildly interested in what The Division is about. A military open world game sounds interesting. I just hope it's an actual open world and not large maps segmented by levels.

darkest4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By darkest4

The Division looks pretty dang good. I think they kind of did it a disservice by attaching the Tom Clancy name to it though, some people will just brush it off and ignore it as another Tom Clancy game without giving it a look. Shoulda just named it a new IP and let the game speak for itself.

I don't play racing games at all but I have to say that The Crew is the first time I'm considering buying one, which is quite a feat for them to get me curious about a racing game. That game looks pretty interesting with the whole US map, the fast and furious vibe and so on.

Watch Dogs looking good as always.

Good on Ubisoft for doing some interesting things.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL, atleast the Division didn't have zombies. That's a start I suppose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.