Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2015

Concept »

The twenty-first annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 16-18, 2015 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

Do game reveals/trailers before E3 make you more or less excited for E3? Or does it matter?

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Poll Do game reveals/trailers before E3 make you more or less excited for E3? Or does it matter? (68 votes)

More! That means we'll get to see these games at the expo. 9%
    Less, I want to be surprised to see these big reveals at E3 rather than a few days before. 54%
    Whatever. As long as there are games I'm happy. 37%

With some major game announcements being made before E3 such as XCOM 2, Fallout 4 and Hellblade as well as trailers for already announced games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and the Ratchet and Clank game/tie-in to a movie, thought I could make this poll to see what your thoughts are on these big trailers/reveals right before E3. Does it make you more excited for the show? Does it make it less exciting because you want the shock factor to see these games for the first time at the press events? Or do you not care because the games will be at E3 anyways?

• 
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Less for sure but ultimately whatever. E3 is clearly waning in importance. I do miss it being a huge thing with surprises but I get why it's not from the developers and publishers points of view (and even the media's).

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

It oddly makes the reveal a little less exciting actually. During E3 I'm primed to get fuckin hype.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Less excited, but Jeff explained on the latest bombcast why everyone's doing it so I can at least understand it.

Still, though, is there even gonna be anything new at E3 at this point? I'm worried we're just gonna be watching all the trailers that we already saw this week again during those press conferences.

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather get an officially released trailer or information that some offscreen footage or premature post on an international Amazon page, but both are worse than announcements during a conference.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather see these trailers get out of the way for gameplay demos

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If trailers and announcements now mean we get gameplay footage at the shows, that makes me more excited for E3.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I like a little game trailer trickle before E3, builds the hype!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's kind of both? I'm super happy about knowing Fallout 4 is a thing (with hopefully more than just the trailer playing at Bethesdas' conference), but at the same time I still like sitting in the GB chat going "Holy shit!" with everyone else.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

E3 has always been more a season than a set of days to me.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Certainly not less excited for E3, but I am concerned that there will be fewer of the big "wow" moments left in the conference. Recent E3's have seen fewer "just one more thing" surprises, games that came out of nowhere, but we were still getting the excitement of seeing first looks for games we knew were coming already. I wanna see gameplay and new trailers and all that, but I also want the expo to feel special like a celebration of all things gaming.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less excited. E3 to be is all about the overwhelming amount of announcements and excitement. Something to remember. People should be talking about it afterwards about how it was the best E3 ever or whatever. Jeff says you can't "win" E3 but look at the Sony PS4 conference, weeks, months even years later we look back at that and think man that stuff was nuts and we haven't seen stuff like it. We compare it to Microsoft's and say omg what were they thinking. If fallout had been announced live, it would have been awesome. Immediately followed by Doom 4 or something. Just big game after big game. Waves of indies. Whoever can bring the biggest army of games and new stuff wins IMO.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't know...

I just like to hope that they're throwing all this out there now to make room for whatever else they have lined up. If the press conferences are just going to be recaps of all this shit, then I'm gonna be super bummed out.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Strife777

It's not the end of the world, but it does take a bit of the magic away from the event. Obviously, there's always going to be new things revealed no matter how much other stuff was beforehand, but half the time, the "new" stuff is leaked in some way or rumored.

I'm most excited by the unexpected.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally I'd say it doesn't really have an effect on me, but that Ratchet and Clank trailer bought me a ticket on the hype train.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Doesn't matter to me all that much since I haven't cared too much about E3 in years.

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally I'd say it doesn't really have an effect on me, but that Ratchet and Clank trailer bought me a ticket on the hype train.

Really? I mean it looks really nice graphically. This is a prime example of why Insomanic is so behind Naughty Dog for these last two past console generations. There is no innovation, or big risks. For a game to play like the early 2000's for 2016 is barebones/boring

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snakeitachi: I disagree, the new Ratchet and Clank game and Sunset Overdrive both look beautiful and colorful while still having an art direction that isn't going for photo realistic. I thought Sunset Overdrive had some great third person action that didn't crib Gears of War like most others games have for the past 5 years. The traversal and parkour elements were pretty awesome once you unlocked the air dash and wall run; it took a bit of time. But it kind a sucked trying to go back to other (like Unity) third-person action games after Sunset; they just feel too slow and not butter smooth.

As to the topic, no I really don't mind all the 'leaks' and pre-E3 announcements. I just accept that starting in April and going up to E3 that we have good chance about hearing about new games or information on games that have been announced, but have been dormant on the news front for some time. I mean it's not like, most of us aren't going to watch the conferences, so who cares; they will have a couple of secrets.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

@spoonman671 said:

Really? I mean it looks really nice graphically. This is a prime example of why Insomanic is so behind Naughty Dog for these last two past console generations. There is no innovation, or big risks. For a game to play like the early 2000's for 2016 is barebones/boring

I don't agree with this at all. Outside of the stunning presentation, the Uncharted games really aren't innovative in the slightest. I like those games a ton, but they're standard third person, cover based shooters. The Last of Us is another thing entirely, but to say the Ratchet games haven't tried anything new is innacurate.

People might not have cared for FFA or All 4 One, but they were trying new things, even Nexus and Crack in Time messed with the formula just enough in places, in fact I'd say that Insomniac have done a much, much better job of changing up their formula than ND have in the past generation.The Jak games are mechanically far more interesting than any of the Uncharted games.

ND are mostly loved for their incredible voice and story stuff and Insomniac match them easily. Just because Ratchet is cartoony doesn't stop it from being of an incredibly high quality. The same goes for Sunset Overdrive.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm somewhere between 'whatever' and 'less' over all I just like seeing new game sand trailers just, whenever, but I kind of like the hype bomb of "oh holy shit guys, look what was just announced' that E3 can bring, especially during the live stream.
    Like at this point when the Giant Bomb guys are watching the streams and commenting over them, some of the trailers that get shown will be less "holy shit, what is this? oh shit, that is this?" and more "Oh yeah, that thing we know about already."

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always watch the press conferences with friends on Twitch or Skype. It makes it much less fun when everything is revealed before the show. There haven't been any "oh daaaaaamn!" moments in a few years. No surprises. Just everything that was leaked and revealed in the weeks prior to the show. It's hard to get excited about the actual show anymore. I like this time of year, but the show and press conferences are hardly an event anymore.

I'm just hoping to see extended gameplay of some stuff. Cinematic trailers do absolutely nothing for me.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Less, but I don't play many new releases anyway. So kinda don't care how I find out.

But given the choice it would be nice to have the Spectacle of E3 insanity.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It doesn't matter. E3 for me is a time to watch Giant Bomb talk about stuff almost non stop. I don't care about the game reveals more than "oh cool another one of those" or "oh cool that looks interesting."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.