Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3

Concept »

The Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) was a video game industry trade show held annually since 1995. It was usually held in the late spring or early summer in Los Angeles, California.

Bungie Studios Won't Have E3 Presence

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

Bungie's workin' on something, whatever it is.
    As 343 Industries begins to assume the role of Halo's caretaker from Bungie Studios, there are fewer and fewer things for Bungie to talk about publicly. The company is quietly working on its new, ambitious and unannounced project with Activision. Possibly nipping speculation in the bud, Bungie has ruled out an E3 presence.

"We won’t officially be at E3 this year," said community content writer Eric Osborne in the latest Bungie Weekly Update late last week. "Remember the Band-Aid approach I talked about last week? This is what it feels like in practice. Sorry for the sting. We wanted to make sure you didn’t get whipped into a rumor-fueled frenzy only to have your expectations unceremoniously dashed during expo week."

This would also seem to say that any Halo announcements, games or otherwise, are now a 343 joint.

If you're feeling down, that technically doesn't rule out some video teasing Activision and Bungie's collaboration. And since we're desperate for any information about the project, I went through those Activision memos that came my way a few weeks back. There's nothing revelatory inside, however.

== TEASER == "2011 will also mark a year when we will achieve significant development milestones working with Bungie on their groundbreaking new gaming universe," said Activision COO Thomas Tippl in one of the memos.

"Bungie is one of the world’s most gifted developers with one of the best track records in the industry," said Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg in another. "Our long-term partnership with Bungie will bring the world into a whole new gaming universe and is built on a host of industry firsts. We are setting the stage for the success of this project now."

Like I said, nothing too exciting. Activision is jazzed about working with Bungie. Surprise!
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

As 343 Industries begins to assume the role of Halo's caretaker from Bungie Studios, there are fewer and fewer things for Bungie to talk about publicly. The company is quietly working on its new, ambitious and unannounced project with Activision. Possibly nipping speculation in the bud, Bungie has ruled out an E3 presence.

"We won’t officially be at E3 this year," said community content writer Eric Osborne in the latest Bungie Weekly Update late last week. "Remember the Band-Aid approach I talked about last week? This is what it feels like in practice. Sorry for the sting. We wanted to make sure you didn’t get whipped into a rumor-fueled frenzy only to have your expectations unceremoniously dashed during expo week."

This would also seem to say that any Halo announcements, games or otherwise, are now a 343 joint.

If you're feeling down, that technically doesn't rule out some video teasing Activision and Bungie's collaboration. And since we're desperate for any information about the project, I went through those Activision memos that came my way a few weeks back. There's nothing revelatory inside, however.

== TEASER == "2011 will also mark a year when we will achieve significant development milestones working with Bungie on their groundbreaking new gaming universe," said Activision COO Thomas Tippl in one of the memos.

"Bungie is one of the world’s most gifted developers with one of the best track records in the industry," said Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg in another. "Our long-term partnership with Bungie will bring the world into a whole new gaming universe and is built on a host of industry firsts. We are setting the stage for the success of this project now."

Like I said, nothing too exciting. Activision is jazzed about working with Bungie. Surprise!
    Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Samaritan

Finally! About stinkin' time too! :D

Edit: Is anyone really surprised by this?
    RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RobertOrri

Amazing that they don't want to show off their stuff...

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By fillmoejoe

Hoping for a teaser video of some sort.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By leebmx

Still feels horrible those 2 working together...

Mason_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Mason_M

Yeah, I'm definitely interested in Bungie's next project whatever it is.

Baraka528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Baraka528

the elusive bungie game, it'll be shown when they are ready.. i mean look how great halo became, they definitely have the knowledge.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By datarez
    @leebmx: I agree.  I tend to not buy Activision as a guideline for myself but I really like Bungie.
    TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

I swear I heard somewhere Bungie was working on some sort of RPG, but I can't be entirely sure... time to get waiting for 2012-2014.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By craigbo180

I think they should show up and announce something. They are just trying to throw us off.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jimbo

That's because Bungie are working on a console (&PC) MMOFPS with Blizzard.  I read it right here in this memo, which I'm not going to show you.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By big_jon

lame

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Agent47
    @leebmx: You know if they created the next mayorily popular shooter I wouldn't be surprised.And if they failed I wouldn't be surprised neither.If it is not a shooter game....then they would have caught me off gaurd.
    Dohers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dohers

I thought the whole of Activision didn't have an "official" E3 presence last year but were basically there. They just had their own side event instead. I hear they spent 775 million dollars on it.

Forkstik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Forkstik

Strange that they would say "officially", could mean that someone from either Activision or Bungie could be there in some unofficial form, like as teaser or trailer. 

ChrisInCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ChrisInCali

Doesn't break my heart, I've never played a Bungie game that truly impressed me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dumb. I wanted to see Bungie's new project.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By ez123

"Bungie's workin' on something, whatever it is"   

Indeed
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ch13696

They won't officially be there, but I'm sure you may see some head developers browsing around and seeing what's in store for the next year.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By 234r2we232

You can tell they're already panicking

"Guys, I called up Microsoft and they said we can't make any Halo games or games with Master Chief in them... so what do we do?"

"Halo Chief Wars ODST"

"UR HIARED!"
    blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By blacklab

I feel your pain, Bungie people. I won't have E3 presence either.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vexxan

I'm no hardcore Halo fan but I'm very curious about what they're up to...

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Pop

I hope they show a trailer or something and I'm like 70% sure it's gonna be a shooter.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By ProfessorEss

No official presence doesn't mean either Sony or MS haven't locked down the rights to show a teaser for the next Bungie product to give their press conference a big p-pow.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NegativeCero

All I'm hoping is that it doesn't turn out to be an MMO. 

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By leebmx
    @Agent47: @Agent47 said:
    " @leebmx: You know if they created the next mayorily popular shooter I wouldn't be surprised.And if they failed I wouldn't be surprised neither.If it is not a shooter game....then they would have caught me off gaurd. "
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is a shooter either and I am sure it will be very popular, that is the reason after all that Activision wanted to deal with Bungie; becuase they sell shitloads of games.
     I have never been a fan of Halo but I have always been under the impression that Bungie were a company who had an intimate and concerned relationship with their customers wheras Activision don't. This is why these 2 working together does not feel good, although according to what I have read Bungie have negoticed a much looser deal than say IW did, (for example I don't believe Activision will own whatever property Bungie create) so maybe it can be a mutually beneficial realtionship where Bungie can use Activision's marketing power to promote their game without being forced to release a new iteration every year. We will see.... 
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By xpgamer7

I'm happy about this. Games like Brink were shown off too early and lost their appeal. Other than the anticipation it also gives Bungie more time to polish and work on their game.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TorMasturba
    @leebmx said:
    "
                    @Agent47: @Agent47 said:
    "
                    @leebmx: You know if they created the next mayorily popular shooter I wouldn't be surprised.And if they failed I wouldn't be surprised neither.If it is not a shooter game....then they would have caught me off gaurd.
                "
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is a shooter either and I am sure it will be very popular, that is the reason after all that Activision wanted to deal with Bungie; becuase they sell shitloads of games.
     I have never been a fan of Halo but I have always been under the impression that Bungie were a company who had an intimate and concerned relationship with their customers wheras Activision don't. This is why these 2 working together does not feel good, although according to what I have read Bungie have negoticed a much looser deal than say IW did, (for example I don't believe Activision will own whatever property Bungie create) so maybe it can be a mutually beneficial realtionship where Bungie can use Activision's marketing power to promote their game without being forced to release a new iteration every year. We will see.... 

"

IW originally had the same deal until Activision realised the COD series' potential and tightened grip that they had on IW's future intellectual properties and subsequent sequels.

At the time the deal probably looked nice and crispy for IW's head people but that was because they were being promised big fat paycheques dependant on their success. And we all know where it went from there.

Did they ever get payed their deserved paycheques through the court case?

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By stackboy

I'd still be surprised not to see something either before or very soon after E3, from Bungievision.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By captain_clayman

aww.

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By m0rdr3d

Well, that sucks.  I'm seriously interested in seeing what they can do free of Microsoft and Halo.

But, hey, maybe this means Bungie is able to call all the shots pertaining to their game.  That'd be good.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Kyle

Bummer : (

Avatar image for geneticblueprint
    GeneticBlueprint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GeneticBlueprint

I'm interested to see what they'll do next. I'm not getting my hopes up though because everything after Halo 2 was just won crushing disappointment after the next. Part of that is MSs fault though, I suppose.

notorietyh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By notorietyh

I'm goign to go out on a limb and guess that Bungie show up at Sony's presentation, like Gabe last year.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

How is this a surprise? Put on some real news.
    monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By monkeyking1969

To be honest I would rather more developers took the point of view of not showing anything until there was something substantive to show.  If on May 31st of any give year you game is still 13+ months away then I do not want to see you game, I do not want to see screen grabs, and I do not want your weenie executives making mewing noises about the cool game they cannot show yet.

There are already too many games coming out in the next 11 months to waste time or energy about games that are 14, 18 or even 24 months away.      

Avatar image for deactivated-6036cbdda761a
    deactivated-6036cbdda761a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bungie is actually only called Bungie these days. They dropped the "Studios" when they went independent. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.