Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EA Sports MMA

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

EA Sports MMA is a mixed martial arts game for the Xbox 360 and PS3, developed by EA Tiburon.

EA Enters The Octagon (Or A Reasonable Facsimile Thereof)

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    I feel like I'm staring at a can of Full Throttle.
    If you're into the mixed martial arts scene, you probably already know this, but there's a world outside of the UFC. I bring this up because UFC 2009 Undisputed just came out, and now EA Sports is looking to get into the MMA game with the appropriately titled EA Sports MMA.

The game is scheduled to hit in 2010 for the PS3 and Xbox 360. EA Tiburon is handling development. I have to imagine the roster will have to focus on fighters that aren't under contract to UFC, since around 80 or so dudes just showed up in the game THQ released last month. Considering those are some of the most famous mixed martial artists in the world, it'll be interesting to see EA's game develop. Maybe they'll get ex-WWE guy Bobby Lashley in it or something? OK, fine, I'm not that well-versed in the MMA world once you leave the friendly confines of the Octagon. So I'll just have to assume that there are enough other big-name fighters out there in the XFC or something to make an interesting non-UFC roster.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    If you're into the mixed martial arts scene, you probably already know this, but there's a world outside of the UFC. I bring this up because UFC 2009 Undisputed just came out, and now EA Sports is looking to get into the MMA game with the appropriately titled EA Sports MMA.

The game is scheduled to hit in 2010 for the PS3 and Xbox 360. EA Tiburon is handling development. I have to imagine the roster will have to focus on fighters that aren't under contract to UFC, since around 80 or so dudes just showed up in the game THQ released last month. Considering those are some of the most famous mixed martial artists in the world, it'll be interesting to see EA's game develop. Maybe they'll get ex-WWE guy Bobby Lashley in it or something? OK, fine, I'm not that well-versed in the MMA world once you leave the friendly confines of the Octagon. So I'll just have to assume that there are enough other big-name fighters out there in the XFC or something to make an interesting non-UFC roster.
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#2  Edited By JackiJinx

I don't care what his wife may think, Moore needs to get that tattoo on his back.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Crono11

I really liked UFC so I'm looking forward to see how EA tries to top it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Milkman

Bobby Lashley was the first one who came to mind for me too. And Kimbo Slice.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187
    @Jeff: Not only does it have the Full Throttle thing going, but it also have some of the Freekstyle thing going on as well...
    XJGunz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By XJGunz

Randy Couture was also not in UFC Undisputed 2009. Maybe they could take him?

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By vendetta

I doubt we see any big names in this from Zuffa owned property (either UFC or Pride). Will be interesting to see how this plays out, but if it's anything near the quality of the Fight Night series then us MMA fans are in for a treat.

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By vendetta
    @XJGunz:

Doubtful, he's currently under contract with Zuffa. He wasn't in the UFC video game because he was involved in a contract dispute with Zuffa when the game was developed. I wouldn't be surprised if he's added to the UFC game via DLC, though.
    OzzerOzby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OzzerOzby

Strikeforce has a pretty solid roster of fighters, especially after the collapse of Elite XC. I'm actually alittle surprised that EA hasn't tried to get a deal with them.

Also, as an MMA fan I have to say that that logo is incredibly generic.

Axis_of_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Axis_of_Evil

WEC.....Urijah Faber   The California Kid...

Sunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sunshine

WEC / UFC fighters all have to sign exclusive deals to ensure their likeness isn't used on a non-UFC approved project. While this prevents a lot of well-known fighters from being in the EA game, they're plenty of still-active pride/k1/Sengoku/Strikeforce/Affliction guys out there (Eg. Fedor, Josh Barnett, Jeff Monson, most of the Gracies, the Shamrocks, Vitor Belfor, JZ, Shinya Aokia, Saku, Kid Yamamoto, etc.)

MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MacGyver

I want to play the MMA game!

Will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Will

Could be a hell of a roster, Bob Lashley, Fedor, the DREAM fighters COULD shape up to be a awesome game

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24

I need to play UFC first, haha. Still, nice to see some competition in the market. Competition = improvement

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By tekmojo

I hope they do, so then THQ can force more energy on future UFC titles, and make 'em come out within shorter intervals.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are fucked on the roster but I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do.  As much as I love the basic gameplay of UFC there are a ton of problems around it.  The career mode sucks, the character customization stuff could be a lot deeper, and the online play is majorly flawed. As much as I like the gameplay it is a little weird and in its own gameworld (as far as the fighting styles being standup vs ground, and then the weird way ground transitions work and everything).  Bring on the competition.

The logo sucks though.  Only thing worse and more predictable than the tribal tatoo design would have been some barbed wire.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By papercut

Fedor Anyone?

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By vaiz

Why does this seem to me like EA going "ME TOO =(!"?

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PercyChuggs
    @papercut said:
    " Fedor Anyone? "
    Fedor can't sell video games to an American audience.

Baffles my mind why EA would do this game if they weren't confident they could get the UFC license. Why can't both THQ and EA have it? It shouldn't be any different than the NHL or the NBA.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By tekmojo
    @PercyChuggs said:
    "
    @papercut said:
    " Fedor Anyone? "
    Fedor can't sell video games to an American audience.Baffles my mind why EA would do this game if they weren't confident they could get the UFC license. Why can't both THQ and EA have it? It shouldn't be any different than the NHL or the NBA. "
    UFC licensing is very different than of other sports. MMA fights still aren't sanctioned in every U.S. state. Owners of the UFC name, Dana White, and co-founder Frank Fertitta probably know the reason why. I'm guessing they were looking for other options in producing future UFC games, and I'm guessing the two sides didn't agree on one thing or another. Good question though.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TwoOneFive

the UFC game is decent, but... i mean come on guys, you know this will be better right?

ps, they couldn't have made a better logo. its very fitting. and totally badass looking. 
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox

They're gonna buy the exclusive license out from under THQ.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PercyChuggs said:
    "
    @papercut said:
    " Fedor Anyone? "
    Fedor can't sell video games to an American audience.Baffles my mind why EA would do this game if they weren't confident they could get the UFC license. Why can't both THQ and EA have it? It shouldn't be any different than the NHL or the NBA. "
    Well the NFL has exclusive right.  But anyways, this makes me feel pretty confident that EA will put out a quality product.  Without the UFC license the game will have to stand on its own, otherwise it wouldn't be worth making.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fedor11!!!

gzl5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gzl5000

No fighters from the UFC or WEC will be in this (WEC is owned by Zuffa as well), but there's a large talent pool from DREAM and Sengoku in Japan, and Strikeforce and Affliction in the States. My question is, how many current fighters in those organizations signed the UFC's exclusive lifetime videogame rights contract before they left? Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski were in Undisputed even though their contracts had ended well before the game was finalized. We could see big names like Babalu, Nick Diaz and others left out if they've signed the lifetime rights contract.

dQuarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dQuarters
    You know, the odd prospect of an unlicensed EA Sports franchise seems really promising at this point. Especially this sport.

And since odds are good that it will be a better game to play, EA should really piss THQ and the UFC off by letting people share "coincidental lookalike", custom characters online.
    On that note, I also hope they don't go cherry picking contracts with retired or misc. league fighters either. That would be a decidedly "Midway" thing to do, and that's gotta be not-good. Just give me some badass dudes and gals ! ) to kick in the throat with a ton of customizables and I'll be peachy keen for months!
    Know what EA? If you don't pull a blitz on this one, I'll forgive you for burger king.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Kazona

Bleh

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Media_Master

sounds like the next franchise for EA

stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By stafax

Couture and Frank Shamrock have both been in talks with EA about licensing agreements for this game.  I would expect EA will probably try to get any other mma legend in this game as well such as Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Dan Severn, and Don Frye.  I also expect that anyone from the Affliction and Strikeforce promotions are all up for grabs as well: Fedor, Andrei Arlovski, Jake Shields, Robbie Lawler, Antonio "Little Nog" Nogueira.  Also, just like Fight Nights, I expect the career modes to have a bunch of made up characters to fight against.

dansllvn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dansllvn

Stop mentioning Lashley and Slice like they are great MMA fighters.  Fedor, Barnett, Lawler, Alvarez, Sheilds, Thompson, Ayoki, Sakurai, Arlovski, S.Smith, Shamrocks, Gracies, Sobral, Diaz, Overeem, and about a thousand other fighters should be mentioned long before these guys.  Plus, Kimbo Slice is going to be on the new season of the Ultimate Fighter.  Not that he'll win but whatever, he's a freakshow for a few laughs.

stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By stafax
    @dansllvn: I agree with you about people keep mentioning Lashley and Slice as if they are established MMA fighters. Lashley has fought anyone credible yet and is still in the little leagues, and Kimbo is STILL trying to prove he's more than a youtube star. I will give credit to Lashley though, for working his way up and not trying to rush his way through. I still think it's a joke that Lesnar wins only one fight in the UFC before getting his title shot (which I think he only won because he got a lucky shot to Couture's temple).  But either way, people need to calm down and wait for Lashley to work his way up before they get all giddy about how amazing he is.  I'm not saying the same for Kimbo because he's a joke. Who the fuck is Seth Petruzelli? or Sean Gannon? I dunno, but they look like a couple of nobodies who whopped Kimbo pretty hard.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BigBoss1911

If mayhem miller is in it count me in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.