Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EA Sports MMA

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

EA Sports MMA is a mixed martial arts game for the Xbox 360 and PS3, developed by EA Tiburon.

Fighters in EA MMA Game Banned from UFC?

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By chewii101

There are  rumors going around the sporting world that all the fighters who appeared in the new UFC Undisputed game were forced into life time contracts with UFC. Now it seems that Dana White is taking another step towards the crown of all douches by threatening all fighters who appear in the EA MMA game they will be banned from/kicked out of the UFC. I understand taking measures to protect your product and company but was this really necessary? Dana White's coming out of this looking like the perfect definition of douchebag. And will EA's game suffer due to fighters being intimidated by this threat? Probably, as although MMAs is still a niche sport growing the names do matter to fans I assume. 

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By chewii101

There are  rumors going around the sporting world that all the fighters who appeared in the new UFC Undisputed game were forced into life time contracts with UFC. Now it seems that Dana White is taking another step towards the crown of all douches by threatening all fighters who appear in the EA MMA game they will be banned from/kicked out of the UFC. I understand taking measures to protect your product and company but was this really necessary? Dana White's coming out of this looking like the perfect definition of douchebag. And will EA's game suffer due to fighters being intimidated by this threat? Probably, as although MMAs is still a niche sport growing the names do matter to fans I assume. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

wow, i didn't know that. it is kind of  horrible to hear that. hopefully that stuff is fake that would suck to be in a game to find out u can only work for dana.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

I don't follow MMA but that would suck if the smaller companies folded or a really skilled/respectable guy desperately wanted to move up to UFC.

Maybe it will come back to bite Dana White in the ass if he passes up on a rising star because of this.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By c1337us

I dont follow MMA either, but this doesnt sound like a positive move to me.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Hamst3r

For shame to anyone that praises exclusives of any sort. FUCK exclusives. Fuck them in the face.
    Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Jerr

That would be super shitty, I'm really interested in seeing EA's take on MMA, especially after playing Undisputed. And thats alot of the draw to these games is the fighters.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By Suicrat
    @Chewii101: Whatever, Dana White has a property to protect, and he'll go about doing it any way he wants (under the law, for his sake; lest he be sued). He knows that particular fighters aren't the draw to his property, but the production values and marketing are. The fighters need the UFC more than the UFC needs those particular fighters.

MMA fans just want blood, sure there'll be GSP fans or Brock Lesner fans or whatever in the short term, in the long term when the current pool of fighters are gone, the UFC will still be there, and so will the bloodthirsty fans of the league.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_A_Drain

Wow, I don't follow either but as an outsider, this makes me less likely to buy either game, so everybody loses. What a twat.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By Suicrat
    @Meltbrain: If he doesn't protect his brand, UFC would become just another 3-letter-initialism in the massive ocean-sized soup that is entertainment media.

He may be doing something most would describe as "dickish", but if he doesn't do it, the UFC will be the victim of brand entropy. His sponsors and investors won't shed a tear from this move, they'll stand up and cheer it.
    MMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MMA

I hear that all mma managers were informed that if any of their clients not currently under contract with the UFC sign to be a part of the EA game the will forever be banned for fighting in the UFC.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Naughton

I like how everyone paints Dana White as a dick for this. EA had the chance to get in bed with UFC, and they passed. Now that UFC has proved that they could sell shit-tons of games, they want to make their own MMA game using UFC fighters. If I was Dana White, I'd be pissed as hell, too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Dana white is a fucking asshole.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By mracoon

Here's the story. I've kind of have to agree with him on this, EA didn't want to be involved (and from what it looks like insulted them) when they first approached them but as soon as the game is successful they want a piece of the action.

dreadlocsolja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dreadlocsolja
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gregomasta
    @dreadlocsolja said:

" dana white is doing this because he went to EA before going to THQ. EA said mixed martial arts wasn't a real sport and they wanted nothing to do with it. that's where THQ comes in. dana white is pissed because EA wants to do an MMA game after UFC Undisputed did so well. here's the article http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=mmajunkie-Dana_White_on_EA_Sports&prov=mmajunkie&type=lgns "

Yup, EA's reaping what they sowed.  I won't even bring up Madden.

A couple of Gem's from Dana White.  Reminded me of what EA's all about. 

"EA Sports told us, 'You're not a real sport,'" White said. "'We wouldn't touch this thing. We want nothing to do with this.'"

"We put our asses on the line, THQ and the UFC, to make a video-game deal in the worst economy in the world," White said. "We go out there and do this thing, and it's successful, and now [expletive] EA Sports wants to do a video game. Really? That's not what you told us a year-and-a-half ago."

"You know what the difference is?" White asked. "I'm in the mixed martial arts business. EA isn't.

"EA doesn't give a [expletive] about mixed martial arts. They made that very clear."
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By vaiz

Yeah. As a few of the above posters pointed out, Dana White is perfectly in line making this decision. EA spurned them, and now they want a piece of the action. Why? Money. I'm not an anti-EA crusader, but as a devout MMA fan, I don't want to see an MMA game being made by a company that doesn't respect the sport. I say good for him.

Yes, he's made some dick moves and said some prickish things, and I'm not saying he's a stand up guy, but I support his decision entirely.

That said, if someone like Anderson Silva, GSP, or Machida appeared in the MMA game, I doubt Dana would actually ban them, or even kick them out. That would be bad business, and Dana is first and foremost a businessman.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187

So all of you are saying that it should be okay for current WWE performers to show up in a TNA game? 

-_- 

Look, the UFC fighters are in UFC and they represent UFC.  They do not represent some other MMA thing, and in turn, UFC is trying to make itself a brand name.  You're right - it's business.  Letting other fighters go over to a game that is competing in your category but not directly associated with your brand...that's bad business.  This RUMOR of lifetime contracts for UFC fighters has gotta be bogus, because there is NO LEGAL WAY you can actually tell someone "yeah, you are bound to UFC for the rest of your life, can't fight anywhere else".  My guess would be that UFC fighters signed a likeness rights contract with UFC that says they are not allowed to appear in something that is not official UFC product while under the UFC banner. 

Also, now that I see all this shit with EA...who can blame Dana White for doing this?  I support the Hell out of EA on a lot of things (including defending the fact that Madden doesn't change much in any given year).  However, if Dana's telling the truth on all this shit, then EA deserves it, and the UFC fighters should respect the decision that Dana is making on this stance.

So chill the fuck out, people.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By TwoOneFive

dude, if this is for real, than i say fuck UFC. they think they own people?! its a fucking game for crying out loud. that would be like Tony Hawk getting anyone who appears in SKATE banned fro pro skateboarding.  

getting these fighters and their names in as many places as possible can only benefit everyone. especially UFC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.