Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EA Sports UFC

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jun 17, 2014

UFC comes to next-gen platforms via EA SPORTS.

If you like the old games, give this a chance.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nitrocore

I feel like this needs to be said, in fact it was Jeff's tweet that made me want to write this in the first place. Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but since Jeff can send out a massive negative wave with a simple tweet, I feel like a nobody like me should at least try to defend the game on the forums.

It's been said a bunch already, but this is not a game for casual gamers to pick up and button mash, you'll be taken down pretty quickly or you might get lucky and survive, but your luck will run out, and that goes for almost every competitive game out there.

The online championship is where you'll get the most out of the game, but be prepared to learn from your mistakes and improve your weakness's. It's extremely satisfying when you you can go toe to toe with good players and come out on top.

If you don't all learn the moves you're going to have a bad time. I know this because I've had a bad time with the old ones, and a little with this one too. However this game does a good job of showing you the errors of your ways with the challenge mode, which lets you practice in each area of combat and ranks you with a coloured belt, which ultimately means nothing other than knowing you are fully prepared to handle yourself in the octagon.

All this rambling aside, I really do think this is the best UFC game out, and I can't emphasize enough, if you like the old THQ games give this a shot, it's still a UFC game just with a topping of Fight night added to the mix.

If you learn the moves, pay attention to the fighters cliched quotes, and be the best, you're going to have a good time, even if you lose.

bremaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw some gameplay for it and it looks really fun. I enjoyed the THQ versions a lot, and the EA version does look fairly decent and it does look like I can do a lot with it. I wont know how it is for me until I play it though, but I have a feeling it's going to be a decent game.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bremaine: It can be a difficult sell, but if you liked those THQ games you should be good to go though. I do recommend downloading the demo first to get a feel for it, it does have more of a fight night style to it which may put some people off, but once you get into it the combat flows like water, unless you have a bad internet connection, or come across someone else with one.

Mr402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I commend you for keeping a open mind about this game but I respectfully disagree with you completely. If you like the old games especially Undisputed 3 you should not even attempt to play this. At least those games had a logical control scheme that worked. Punches had impact and the counter system was worthwhile and useful. I bought a PS4 specifically for this game and am so glad I rented it after playing the demo. In fact I have to give EA praise for even releasing a demo which to me exposed the faults of this game instantly. It made me cancel a pre-order and instead I rented it from gamefly just to give it a serious chance. After playing it for a couple days it went right back into the mail. Maybe EA will get it right next time.

Mr402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I commend you for keeping a open mind about this game but I respectfully disagree with you completely. If you like the old games especially Undisputed 3 you should not even attempt to play this. At least those games had a logical control scheme that worked. Punches had impact and the counter system was worthwhile and useful. I bought a PS4 specifically for this game and am so glad I rented it after playing the demo. In fact I have to give EA praise for even releasing a demo which to me exposed the faults of this game instantly. It made me cancel a pre-order and instead I rented it from gamefly just to give it a serious chance. After playing it for a couple days it went right back into the mail. Maybe EA will get it right next time.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr402 said:

Don't get why people keep saying this. The control scheme is super similar. Also the submission system in the THQ systems was straight garbage.

Impact is also pretty much the same. I really don't understand the weird negativity, with this game. Maybe it's just typical EA bashing? I have no clue. It's not perfect no, but for the first go around it's a good attempt.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Impact is also pretty much the same. I really don't understand the weird negativity, with this game. Maybe it's just typical EA bashing? I have no clue. It's not perfect no, but for the first go around it's a good attempt.

I don't think its that. Jeff was asked about it on Tumblr and he said one of the reasons he's personally disappointed in it is because it doesn't feel as good as EA's last outing before they had the UFC license.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Yeah my brother thinks this is a better version of the old UFC games too. The ground game still sounds obtuse and not fun but that's just like the old UFC games

It's funny too in some of this criticism for this game, the praise for the THQ ones. Not that they were garbage or anything (I enjoyed them) but where were these fans before? Jeff wasn't playing much of any UFC game, lets get serious.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Yeah my brother thinks this is a better version of the old UFC games too. The ground game still sounds obtuse and not fun but that's just like the old UFC games

It's funny too in some of this criticism for this game, the praise for the THQ ones. Not that they were garbage or anything (I enjoyed them) but where were these fans before? Jeff wasn't playing much of any UFC game, lets get serious.

I seem to remember him diving into all three of the Undisputed games at the time.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Looks like a real winner!

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have only played the demo of the new one but I found the ground game to be very frustrating. It felt really sloppy.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharkethic: I've played like 10 hours of it and not encountered a single problem. There's always glitches in games, so I'm not surprised to hear that this game has one.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, as someone who'd like something that even comes close to an MMA "sim", this shit shouldn't happen

Loading Video...

I mean you shouldn't be able to do those kicks when your stamina is down like Aldo in this clip. And doing 2 of them should zap your stamina bar. It's not the game I was looking for. Which is a shame.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sharkethic: If Gustafsson can pulls that shit off in real life against Johnny Bones this September then Bones has got no shot at defending his title.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@adam1808: I don't meant to suggest he didn't play them (I believe he reviewed them) but I just think they're being held up to be better than they were. To me at least. I think ground game gameplay just hasn't been figured out at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.