Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Earth & Beyond

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Sep 24, 2002

Published by EA and developed by Westwood Studios, Earth & Beyond is one of the first non-fantasy MMOs.

Screw Star Trek I am playing this!

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By PufferFiz

How am I playing this since EA shut this game down 6 years ago? Well some Good modders out there have finally been able to get a server up. They had to recreate all the stats, and they are still working on it so it is still in beta, But seems like the game I remember playing all those years ago.

So if you are into the space mmo thing and Don't want to spend any money I invite you to try this out.
    Sign up on their forums here to get all the downloads and view the how to and what not

If you get on let me know and we can team up some time. :D

Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda

awesome i played this game years ago and was totaly pissed to hear it was being shut down so they could use the servers for sims online. im interested in being able to play now.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Tell me a bit more about it? 

PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda

it looks like a mod community is building a server and emulating the game. from what the site says its in beta setups and has lots of active users. if this gets working well im definitely going to look into playing it on the private server there setting up. this game was basically the first non fantasy (knights and castles) style mmo ever and was also Westwood studios final game before being purchased and eventually shut down by EA. mass effect was actually partialy inspired by this game. the N7 on Sheapord's armor is an obscure reference to earth and beyond.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FunExplosions
    @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
    " it looks like a mod community is building a server and emulating the game. from what the site says its in beta setups and has lots of active users. if this gets working well im definitely going to look into playing it on the private server there setting up. this game was basically the first non fantasy (knights and castles) style mmo ever and was also Westwood studios final game before being purchased and eventually shut down by EA. mass effect was actually partialy inspired by this game. the N7 on Sheapord's armor is an obscure reference to earth and beyond. "
    Game looks cool. But in terms of it being the first non-fantasy mmo... there's this game, too. According to the wiki, it came out before Earth and Beyond.
    I might try this game in a few months, when basic bugs and server issues are solved.
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PufferFiz
    @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
    " it looks like a mod community is building a server and emulating the game. from what the site says its in beta setups and has lots of active users. if this gets working well im definitely going to look into playing it on the private server there setting up. this game was basically the first non fantasy (knights and castles) style mmo ever and was also Westwood studios final game before being purchased and eventually shut down by EA. mass effect was actually partialy inspired by this game. the N7 on Sheapord's armor is an obscure reference to earth and beyond. "
    I know they say beta but it is pretty much the retail game. Been playing for a while (lv 37) and everything is there. What they are still working on is balancing mobs and what not and server stability. What I am surprised about is that they get about 1000$ worth of donations a MONTH. that is a LOT for a community like this.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @PufferFiz said:
    " @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
    I know they say beta but it is pretty much the retail game. Been playing for a while (lv 37) and everything is there. What they are still working on is balancing mobs and what not and server stability. What I am surprised about is that they get about 1000$ worth of donations a MONTH. that is a LOT for a community like this. "
    Can you tell me about the game? You might win yourself a new player. 
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PufferFiz
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @PufferFiz said:
    " @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
    I know they say beta but it is pretty much the retail game. Been playing for a while (lv 37) and everything is there. What they are still working on is balancing mobs and what not and server stability. What I am surprised about is that they get about 1000$ worth of donations a MONTH. that is a LOT for a community like this. "
    Can you tell me about the game? You might win yourself a new player.  "
    It is a starship exploration and combat game. So unlike star trek you do not fight out of ship. You only get out to go into star bases to buy stuff and what not. Out side of that you spend your time exploring the universe and fighting monsters. The exp system is done very well in that you get exp in 3 types, combat/trade/exploration. so when ONE of those fills up you get a level. This makes leveling fast and varied. So depending on your class it may be easier to explore then to fight and what not. Also exp is not set. It is determined by the level of the type. So if your combat lvl is 13 and you kill a lvl 13 mob you get 1000exp, anything below that you get less and visa versa. This is good as it forces players to move location so it is not just grinding in the same spot of weeks on end.  There are quests and what not to take, the job board is still missing but they ARE working on it so hopefully that gets in soon so there are more things to do. 

That is all I can think of right now, feel free to ask me an questions.
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @The_Laughing_Man:  it has a huge map to explore. the game has three unique races that  are all direct descendants the human race from earth. all three races are uneasy with each other but manage to uphold a very loose peace. all three races have two class types. you can freely drive your ship wherever you feel and dock at various stations and platforms and walk freely around inside to visit shops and interact with other players avatars.you can "fast travel" by engaging warp drives there is no teleporting per say as the only way to warp to another location is by using various jump gateways that connect the different systems and planets. you can also visit several planets surfaces and travel around just above the ground and visit cities there. the different races and classes specialize in different weapon types and other specs. an expantion pack was going to bring more content and add the missing third class for every race but was never released as EA shut the retail games servers down to "pursue other developments" even though they likely just needed the server hardware to run more sims online junk even though that game eventualy died as well.

dude its a great game im really interested in playing it again i just wish the website they built was a bit more streamlined and easier to locate the information i wanted.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PufferFiz
    @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  it has a huge map to explore. the game has three unique races that  are all direct descendants the human race from earth. all three races are uneasy with each other but manage to uphold a very loose peace. all three races have two class types. you can freely drive your ship wherever you feel and dock at various stations and platforms and walk freely around inside to visit shops and interact with other players avatars.you can "fast travel" by engaging warp drives there is no teleporting per say as the only way to warp to another location is by using various jump gateways that connect the different systems and planets. you can also visit several planets surfaces and travel around just above the ground and visit cities there. the different races and classes specialize in different weapon types and other specs. an expantion pack was going to bring more content and add the missing third class for every race but was never released as EA shut the retail games servers down to "pursue other developments" even though they likely just needed the server hardware to run more sims online junk even though that game eventualy died as well.  dude its a great game im really interested in playing it again i just wish the website they built was a bit more streamlined and easier to locate the information i wanted. "
    Yeah, well just sign up for the forums (yes you HAVE to do that), go to the download section and get all of that. got to the net-7 page and sign up there (this is the the account you actually login with) start up net-7 launcher and force update. then start the game, should work!
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Coombs

I'm a little confused on how to sign up for this
    Is it to late to get into now? 
    When I go to the only download page I can find on the board I get This

PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @PufferFiz:  does the game still have the basic story quests and such even without the job bulliten boards or is it just wandering around and blowing stuff up? also are the god damned Vrix in the emulated version?
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @FunExplosions: lol i stand corrected. i guess i could say its the first mmorpg in space and not just on the surface of a planet lol
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PufferFiz
    @Coombs said:
    " I'm a little confused on how to sign up for this
    Is it to late to get into now? 
    When I go to the only download page I can find on the board I get This "
     You have to sign up for a forum account first or the download section will not work. It sounds bad, but this way they can keep track of useres if the server user list gets screwed up or has to be wiped.

@PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
    " @PufferFiz:  does the game still have the basic story quests and such even without the job bulliten boards or is it just wandering around and blowing stuff up? also are the god damned Vrix in the emulated version? "
    oh yes the story stuff is still there. it is just before there would be a place to get extra side missions the admins would post, that is no there. All(or most) of the NPC quests are still good. And  not sure about vrix, maybe?
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Coombs
    @PufferFiz: 
    Oh ok,  I was holding off on signing up to the forum because it prompts you for your Server, Race & profession that your using in the game, And since I wasn't playing the game yet I figured I'd probably want to do that before filling that out.

What server are you on?
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @Coombs: i think they got only one server available.

@PufferFiz: if i remember right towards the closing of the game and its shutdown the damned vrix started showing up all over the damned place. someone told me that the game ended with the vrix destroying earth or some randomness.
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PufferFiz
    @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
    " @Coombs: i think they got only one server available.

@PufferFiz: if i remember right towards the closing of the game and its shutdown the damned vrix started showing up all over the damned place. someone told me that the game ended with the vrix destroying earth or some randomness. "
    Well I was not there for the end so not sure. My understanding is the game is set after the SUNSET update.
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @PufferFiz:  i dont remember what all the different updates were or which one sunset was.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Coombs
    @PNut_Buttr_Panda: 
    So maybe I'm just retarded but I can't get this to work......

Everything seems to be going fine but then it says "Couldn't find the patch, Try again later."

I don't know, 
    EnB-Up.exe   is the patch file right?
    Where do I install it to?

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PufferFiz
    @Coombs said:
    " @PNut_Buttr_Panda:  So maybe I'm just retarded but I can't get this to work......  Everything seems to be going fine but then it says "Couldn't find the patch, Try again later."  I don't know,  EnB-Up.exe   is the patch file right? Where do I install it to?   "
    no you need to point it to client.exe in the release folder
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @PufferFiz: how do you point it it to client.exe? i guess i dont understand what your trying to say.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pazy

I tried to play this a few months ago but even after updating I couldent even get my system to load it, im not sure if its incompatable with my system or it couldent connect to the server but I quickly moved on. I still keep wanting to play it though, I remember the concept being cool so I might go look up some gameplay and see if I want to try to get it to work again.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PufferFiz
    @PNut_Buttr_Panda said:
    " @PufferFiz: how do you point it it to client.exe? i guess i dont understand what your trying to say. "
    This is what the net-7 launcher should look like. 

No Caption Provided
    @Pazy said:
    " I tried to play this a few months ago but even after updating I couldent even get my system to load it, im not sure if its incompatable with my system or it couldent connect to the server but I quickly moved on. I still keep wanting to play it though, I remember the concept being cool so I might go look up some gameplay and see if I want to try to get it to work again. "

I know It took me a while to get it to run on my vista laptop. turns out the certificates where not in the right section.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Coombs
    @PufferFiz: 
    I pointed it to client.exe,  Still says it can't find the update
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PufferFiz
    @Coombs said:
    " @PufferFiz:  I pointed it to client.exe,  Still says it can't find the update "
    try this.
    click the launcher button(top left)
    and click force update.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.