Earth Defense Force 4 announced

#1 Edited by AjayRaz (12477 posts) -

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/12/3319806/earth-defense-force-4-detailed-dated-sort-of

so, after the disappointment that was Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (save for the Inferno ending), they've gone ahead and announced Earth Defense Force 4 for them Japanese folk for PS3 and 360 with online co-op. it's by Sandlot, the dudes who made EDF2017, and pretty much every other EDF game except EDF:IA. thank god for that.

anyway. i'm crossing my fingers that this game comes to North America because i absolutely adored EDF2017 and EDF:IA was fun for a bit before i realized how boring it actually was.

edit: oops. it looks like this was announced a year ago and it's only being detailed now. nice going, me. well.. there ya go! online co-op. could somebody also attach this to the EDF4 page please?

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (15176 posts) -

Hmm... hope this one is good. The second one was underwhelming.

#3 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Really, all I needed was online, 4 players, and more enemy types. And possibly more varied levels, but thats a mute point when every building is just flattened within a few minutes anyways.

#4 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

why does it say earth defense forces on that image?

#5 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

Glad to see Sandlot back at the helm.

#6 Edited by Sploder (917 posts) -

I liked insect Armageddon but there wasn't enough enemy variety and it got boring after a while. Especially fighting those giant mechs that take like ten minutes to kill.

#7 Posted by Sackmanjones (4762 posts) -

Insect Armageddon was a real disappointment, looking forward to this now though!

#8 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

As long as it doesn't turnout like that boring shit fest Insect armageddon, then its all good.

#9 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

Excellent! EDF 2017 was a real unexpected gem and one of my favorite games of this generation. Sadly, I'm part of the crowd that wasn't a fan of IA, I think it just lacked the scale 2017 had which really took away a lot of the magic. Hopefully with Sandlot behind this, it'll be back to the good old days of you, a rocket launcher, and 1000 giant red ants!

I just hope this has another level where you get to fight off an invasion of giant robots rising up from the sea. That was totally the best level in 2017.

#10 Posted by csl316 (9509 posts) -

Just gimme giant laser walker fortresses and an even more impossible mothership.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11415 posts) -

...Neat?

#12 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

Images all up ins.

#13 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I only played Insect Armageddon and that game.....wasn't very good.

#14 Posted by Gamer_152 (14113 posts) -

@AjayRaz: If you need a topic moved please PM the mod team.

To be honest I'm a little surprised they can manage to keep this series going like this, but more power to them I guess.

#15 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

its everything i wanted EDF 2017 HD with four player coop :D

#16 Posted by rubberluffy (476 posts) -

Holy crap I loved ED2017. More please.

#17 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -
#18 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

*cricket noises*

#19 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

@guided_by_tigers: You didn't play the right one. EDF:IA was done by Vicious Cycle Software out of North Carolina and was kind of atrocious without any of the Japanese weirdness that came with EDF 2017. 2025 looks to be coming out of Japan again, which can only be a good thing. If you have a 360 or a Vita, I would HIGHLY recommend grabbing EDF2017, which is the far superior game.

#20 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

I got so excited when I saw this thread since I thought they had finally revealed a US release date. Now I'm sad again.

And @krakn3dfx is correct. EDF 2017 is way better than the bland and soulless EDF: IA. Really looking forward to rocking a Lancer in EDF 2025.

#21 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -
#22 Edited by Skwire (15 posts) -

It looks like from the video that krakn3dfx posted, that it's going to release on the 4th of July in Japan. The price is 6,980 Yen, so approximately 70-75 $. Doesn't look like it's going to be a budget priced game unfortunately.

#23 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

@skwire: Amazon is listing the normal price as $49.99 US, and a current sale price of $43.19.

I guess $50 is the new budget price these days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.