Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 05, 2011

Insect Armageddon is the fourth installment of D3's line of budget-priced shooters featuring online and local co-op modes, and a new Swarm survival mode.

If I'm honest with myself, 2017 was the better game

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

There are a lot of reasons to enjoy Insect Armageddon over 2017, the online multiplayer, survival mode, better performance among them. Unfortunately, handing the reigns over to a U.S. developer has stripped it of a lot of the cheese factor that came with poor translation and the overall budget feel of the original. Plus, this game seems much, much shorter. I understand there are 4 troop types to play and level up now, but some of my favorite stuff from the original were storming the ant tunnels and how the game just seemed to go on forever, and there were different locations, like the beach.

Also, the forced cheesiness is pretty horrible. Hearing some soldier yell, "This is like a videogame I played on time!" just makes me cringe, not laugh, like hearing some monotone voice in the first one say, "Come over here so I can kill you."

I'll probably spend some time leveling up a few of the classes to see the weapons, but overall it's kind of a letdown after waiting 4 years for my next silly, B-movie game fix.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By WickedCestus

I've always kind of wanted to play 2017 due to the cheese factor, but the new one doesn't interest me at all.

Ken_Foo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Ken_Foo

The question is how can you make a better game than the previous one that was liked partly for how bad it was?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Devil240Z

2017 was better. But EDF 2 was the best. IA is clearly the weakest of the series but its still alarmingly good.

M_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By M_33

I agree that I had more fun in 2017 then Armageddon, though that isn't saying that I didn't like Armageddon. Part of the amazingness of 2017 was that it had me laughing the whole way through. Watching ants fly off into space after a blast from my favourite shotgun and the different pitched screams that you heard when shooting your entire squad with a grenade launcher never seemed to get old.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By falserelic
    @Krakn3Dfx: I agree I had much more fun in 2017. I liked the designs of enemies better in 2017. There are more varied levels,and the weapons felt strong and have impact. The campaign was also much longer. In insect armaggedon the campaign was short. The weapons felt weak and aren't much fun to use. There are less varied levels in this game,and the enemies aren't as epic from the ones in 2017. The only features I like was the online and armor classes. Other then that I found myself getting quickly bored of the game.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.