Join Up With the Earth Defense Force and Stop the Insect Armageddon

#1 Edited by cmcali16 (52 posts) -

cool 

Edit: woooo

#2 Posted by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

My little brother used to love one of these games on the ps2. I never knew it was actually a franchise - a moderately popular one at that. Shrugged it off as some lazy, C-quality budget game.

#3 Posted by RetroVirus (1471 posts) -

So Close!!!

#4 Posted by Googly (245 posts) -

EDF EDF!

#5 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

LOL

I like how they emphasize the fact that it is an "American" Earth Defense Force lol

#6 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

I demand a laser designator for the orbital strike satellite, or as the soldiers call it; "the newspaper". 

That is all.

#7 Posted by WorldDude (90 posts) -

This is gonna be awesome. AWESOME I SAY!

#8 Posted by Butler (384 posts) -

If this is the closest thing to another Starship Troopers game then I'll check it out. Something about fighting giant bugs resonates within me.

#9 Posted by JoeH (197 posts) -

Cant wait to get this game. I spent many a drunken our playing the last game with my mates. This comes out just after my A-Level exams finish aswell...

#10 Posted by Winsord (1225 posts) -

Earth Defense Force is a ton of fun with a friend or two; can't wait. 

Oh, and for those of you who remember level 22 from 2017, "IT'S AN ARMY OF RED GIANTS".

#11 Posted by GunstarRed (5174 posts) -

I can't wait for this!... All I want from this game is  someone to shout "the captains dead" followed by an "EDF EDF EDF EDF" chant.
#12 Posted by Tefferz (13 posts) -

Wait till the end, that's right, you'll be playing "arse defense force" Don't care, am still buying this game!

#13 Posted by Death_Burnout (3797 posts) -

The Japanese in this trailer has made me feel better about it... My problem is the explosions just do not look as epic as they did in 2017. Even the ones in the end of the trailer, as big as they were, were just giant light blooms (which is cool in it's own right)

I dunno! i shall see. As long EDF games are still put out, full stop, I'm cool.

#14 Posted by Feigr (186 posts) -

Insectu Arumageddu!

#15 Posted by Eribuster (489 posts) -
EDF! EDF! 

@Abyssfull
said:
My little brother used to love one of these games on the ps2. I never knew it was actually a franchise - a moderately popular one at that. Shrugged it off as some lazy, C-quality budget game.
It is a budget game. The game series started off as a 2000 yen budget title. This new one is going to be 7140 yen. Oddly, I kinda wish the game was cheaper like its predecessors.
#16 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

They're beating off humans!

#17 Posted by gbrading (2031 posts) -

I see EDF and I think Red Faction these days.

#18 Posted by Sammo21 (3275 posts) -

I can't stand these games. I tried giving the last one a chance and it was a no go.  Being a budget title isnt an excuse in this day when they can pull off amazing stuff.

#19 Posted by melting_window (67 posts) -

Wait, the giant insects created robots? Or did the robots create the giant insects? We might never know.

#20 Edited by fox01313 (5072 posts) -

Foolish Japan, best weapon against giant bugs is even bigger spiders or birds until that threat gets too big. Overall still not too impressed with this franchise.

#21 Posted by Lifestrike (482 posts) -
EDF! EDF!
#22 Posted by GrumpyTheDorf (64 posts) -

Spiders aren't insects  
TROLOLOLO

#23 Posted by cowdrunk (245 posts) -

Insect Armageddon brought to you almost 50/50 by arachnids

#24 Posted by DarkbeatDK (1280 posts) -
@cowdrunk said:
Insect Armageddon brought to you almost 50/50 by arachnids
It's okay for titles to be misleading. It's just how a game called "Modern Warfare" have scores of players fighting each other with shields and knives.
#25 Posted by osuzoo08 (90 posts) -
@Lifestrike said:
EDF! EDF!
as long as I still can hear that from my squad after they are all dead this game will be great. 
#26 Posted by Nottle (1914 posts) -

Should I get the previous one. I heard it was crappy but in the good Deadly Premonition way.

#27 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2382 posts) -

Love Japanese voice overs of English words. Ah ma ghe dawn

#28 Posted by DonChipotle (2750 posts) -

I will gladly play some more EDF. 

#29 Posted by Dark_Lord_Spam (3296 posts) -

New Detroit doesn't look much better than old Detroit.

#30 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I'm receiving a "Stream Not Found" error when I click the video.

#31 Posted by OmegaRadium (60 posts) -

EDF! EDF!

#32 Posted by chilipeppersman (1164 posts) -

well this game looks like garbage......

#33 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -

Never played EDF! 
I am interested!

#34 Posted by ThisJesusfreak (4 posts) -

Where are the swivel-hips?! I loved those :(

#35 Posted by SleepyDoughnut (1211 posts) -

I live near Detroit. Why the hell would any alien invasion target Detroit? 

For one, there's not a lot of people in Detroit anymore. Secondly, hasn't the city been through enough already?

#36 Posted by mewarmo990 (835 posts) -
@Lifestrike said:
EDF! EDF!
#37 Posted by radioactivez0r (846 posts) -

Kinda curious.  Hope Redbox gets it.

#38 Posted by kamiboy (26 posts) -

Wow, in the trailer they are actually trying to bill this whole overseas outsourced sequel thing as being a positive spin. 

I don't know about gamers in Japan, but over where I sit that equals the kiss of death for a Japanese franchise.

#39 Posted by MeatSim (10851 posts) -

But can the Earth Defense Force keep all bugs out of my house this summer?

#40 Posted by Warskull (64 posts) -
@kamiboy said:
Wow, in the trailer they are actually trying to bill this whole overseas outsourced sequel thing as being a positive spin.  I don't know about gamers in Japan, but over where I sit that equals the kiss of death for a Japanese franchise.
Also, can a different dev get just the right mix of things that make a 'bad' c-list game fun?
#41 Posted by HHAP (214 posts) -
@Meatsim said:
But can the Earth Defense Force keep all bugs out of my house this summer?
Now that is when I'll be on board with this game.
#42 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1876 posts) -

Well, I'm sold

#43 Posted by Fishstick (156 posts) -
@SleepyDoughnut: Axel Foley obviously started this mess. His captain is going to be pissed.
#44 Posted by CabbageHat (11 posts) -

I'm really happy they've kept in the giant robots and such, this could be a competent callback to a less-than-competent (yet inexplicably endearing) game. Now all I have to hold out for is for a frame-rate blitzing alien sphere as the final boss again!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.