Did you play this game on an SNES or emulator first?

#1 Posted by Derachi (95 posts) -

I'm going to be honest, I played it on an emulator before I found a real copy. You?

#2 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

While I know of the game I've never actually played it myself.

#3 Posted by Tearhead (2157 posts) -

Played it on an emulator. Never finished it though.

#4 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Never played Earthbound.

However, since I never owned a SNES and only played it occasionally and friend's houses, the majority of SNES games I played later, emulated on other platforms.

#5 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

Played it on the real deal back in the day. My friend had a copy, with the giant players guide and everything.

#6 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -

I keep my SNES hooked up just for this game.

Played a fan-dubbed version of the GBA sequal on an emulator.

#7 Posted by havelava (175 posts) -
@Tearhead said:
" Played it on an emulator. Never finished it though. "
#8 Posted by TheMasterDS (2042 posts) -

Yo, they aint making money off the game anymore in America. Therefore, throwing money at it while you could be throwing your money at new releases in which the guys what made it make the money off its success is dumb. That said, I've had 10 dollars in Wii Points ready for it, which means really, I've already paid them.

I never got the original, and I would never, because used games are just as bad as stolen games, except that it wastes money that could go into the actual industry.

#9 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

I rented this game from Hannaford, a super market, when it came out. They let you have the guide with it too. I must have rented it about 15 times. Each weekend till I beat it.

#10 Posted by Seiken_Enhasa (101 posts) -

I bought it in 1995 for around 100 dollars. Unfortunately I no longer have the box, and the strategy guide is a little worse for wear. The cartridge itself still works perfectly, though.

#11 Posted by captainzhao (30 posts) -

rented this game so much. never owned it. oh to be my age now back when stores couldn't give these things away...

#12 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

played it on the snes with my homie. such a fantastic game.

#13 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

SNES!!!

#14 Posted by Happy (261 posts) -

SNES! First RPG I ever played.

#15 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

On a SNES.  I own the actual cartridge.

#16 Posted by ElCapitan (401 posts) -

SNES. Bought it new at the store too.

#17 Posted by Bobby (91 posts) -

I found it for $15 at a Best Buy when they were clearing out their Super Nintendo games. I played it on this little 8 inch TV I had set up on my desk, which had a visual distortion in it that magnified the second line of text. There was something so awesome about playing at my desk, though, that I stuck with it the entire game. 

#18 Posted by flawless988 (61 posts) -

I actually found it at my local video rental place. A year or so later I met someone who happened to have it, he said it came with his SNES, so he let me trade it for my Super Mario All-stars.

#19 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

Never even heard of the game when I was a kid. The first time I heard of Ness was from Super Smash Brothers for the N64. I didn't even know what game he was from then. I found that out around 5 years ago.

#20 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

SNES via Superwildcard.  Then I bought the cartridge when it became available in Australia a year later.

#21 Posted by JBG4 (400 posts) -
@TheMasterDS:
I completely disagree that used games are the same as stealing them... I enjoy searching for older copies of my favorite games from the past. I really want to have the original package in the games that I buy now, therefore, I buy all recently released titles new. However, out of print titles from the old days are what I buy used. So no, it is not the same as stealing in all situations. 

I played Earthbound on my old SNES back in the day.
#22 Posted by masternater27 (918 posts) -

Emulator.

#23 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

I still have my SNES version. 
I bought it on release day (or rather my parents did) as a reward for a good report card.

#24 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Emulator, but I only lasted maybe fifteen minutes.

#25 Posted by MercuryCrusader (257 posts) -

Rented it back in the day, then bought it.  Awesome.

#26 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

Played it on an emulator, I'm still playing it and intend to beat it. I wasn't born early enough to get the actual cartridge.

#27 Posted by Dalai (7016 posts) -

Believe it or not, Earthbound was my first day-one purchase ever. I'm mad hardcore, yo!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.