Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EarthBound

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 27, 1994

A 1994 role-playing game starring a young boy named Ness on his quest to save the world. The game and its quirky humor have garnered a dedicated cult following among RPG fans.

Why No Re-release?

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Dreamfall31

Earthbound is definately one of Nintendo's most well known and revered games ever made. Any clue why they have never re-done it? They went back and made all of the classic Mario games with their Super Mario Advance series and A Link To the Past. I find it hard to believe that Nintendo has NEVER re-released Earthbound in any form for North America. They did the GBA one for Japan but it was never released here. I only played it over about decade ago and it was a ROM. I never finished it, but loved the hell out of it. I'd much rather play it in an official fashion that doesn't require me to go and buy a SNES. Any idea why it's never been re-released here in North America, or I guess any other regions?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By august

The game has a bunch of Beatles tunes in it and the Beatles rights holders are notoriously litigous.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red

I honestly have no idea. Considering the whoring out Nintendo does of all its franchises, I'm flabbergasted as to why they haven't touched Earthbound.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By neoepoch

@august said:

The game has a bunch of Beatles tunes in it and the Beatles rights holders are notoriously litigous.

This. Also the irrational reason that Nintendo of America hates it. They really don't but remember, irrationality.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@august said:

I just heard about this recently. It's disheartening.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

@neoepoch said:

@august said:

This. Also the irrational reason that Nintendo of America hates it. They really don't but remember, irrationality.

Actually, to my understanding, NOA had asked NCL to at least alter the music so that they can release it without threat of legal action, but NCL refused.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Undeadpool

This is my favorite game of all time, but even I'd hesitate to call it "one of their most well-known." I mean seriously, the reason Mother 3 (Earthbound 2) never made it stateside was because of Earthbound's abysmal sales in the North American market.

And I never knew about the Beatles songs! What songs are in it and when?

Ub3rSlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Ub3rSlug

@neoepoch said:

@august said:

It seems like Super Smash Bros. is the only time this series gets any love, which I'd credit more to Sakurai than anything else.

Also, I first thought august's comment about Beatles song references in Earthbound was a joke. Crazy!

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @august

Change the music.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

@NekuSakuraba said:

@august

Change the music.

As I said before, NOA asked NCL to do just that. They refused.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Dreamfall31

Sucks...I'm sure it would sell better tnan most of the crap released for the DS/3DS

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Sarumarine

I remember when Earthbound came out and it had a HUGE honking box because they packaged a strategy guide in it. It was especially funny in rental stores with the huge Earthbound box sitting next to regularly sized SNES boxes.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By rentfn

http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Musical_Allusions

This site has a list of all the songs and references.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By rentfn

@Sarumarine: That is why I grabbed it. Bigger is better right :)

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Sarumarine

@rentfn: It certainly caught my attention. Although I had to grow a little older to appreciate such a quirky ass game. There was one point where I thought I wasted a key item and broke the game. It was actually just Orange Kid's fake device.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.