Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Earthworm Jim

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 02, 1994

Created by the twisted minds at Shiny Entertainment (led by Dave Perry and Doug TenNapel), Earthworm Jim is a nonsensical side-scrolling platform game that allows the player to venture through the galaxy as an earthworm trapped in a futuristic space-suit to rescue Princess What's-Her-Name.

Earthworm Jim HD didn't turn out so hot.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Having not played Earthworm Jim is quite a few years, I was pretty excited to get my hands on the new "HD" version of the game for XBLA. My biggest mistake was that I did not even bother to get the trial first, and made an immediate purchase. I'm already regretting it. 

While the game itself is still mostly fine, it's bogged down by horrendous controls and movement. Using the analog stick especially just feels awkward due to really loose movement speeds, resulting in poor controlling of the character, whether it be on foot, rocket ship, or submarine. Using the D-pad feels a little better in terms of being able to get a handle on the movement, but still feels weird given the positioning of the d-pad on the 360's controller.

I've also come across various bugs and glitches, such as occasional cases of bad hit and collision detection. There's also a glitch that has prevented me from progressing through Level 5, where a switch that is activated by whipping it, will simply explode and disappear rather than turn on. So far, it has done that to me every time I've tried. Shooting it will also cause it to explode.

The game does look good, though. The graphical overhaul is pretty smooth, although some of the animations look like they are missing a few frames. A few of the changes made to the version are nice, too, such as being able to switch between Plasma shots and normal shots. The 3 original levels added to the game are quite fun, as well. I haven't tried out the multiplayer portion of the game, simply because no one is playing it yet.

This version of Earthworm Jim is not completely terrible. I'm not going to flat-out tell you to not buy it. Just do yourself a favor and try out the demo first. Don't make a blind purchase for the sake of pure nostalgia like I did. You may end up sorely disappointed.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Yep, sounds like Earthworm Jim. 

I'll check out the trial.  Thanks for the heads up.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I got to play a little bit of the multiplayer a little while ago. It is strictly 4-player co-op. It was surprisingly very fun. It's the entire main game with the levels re-designed for co-op. Though the actual "co-op" aspect of it really just revolves around opening doors for other players and the like, it's mainly more of a chaotic nature, not too dissimilar to something like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. 

I did encounter what I'm going to assume is a very bad bug. At the end of each level is a Finish Line that each player must pass through in order for the game to progress to the next level. We neared the end of the first submarine level, when all but one of us died. The remaining player crossed the finish line, but nothing happened. The game didn't go to the next level, we didn't respawn, just...nothing. The guy tried going back a bit, but still nothing. I'm not sure exactly what the reasoning is for this, if any, but it was kind of annoying having to back out of the game and be forced to do this all again.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By TheGreatGuero

The 360's d-pad is so pathetic. It's definitely the controller's biggest flaw. I liked the Earthworm Jim games back in the day, so it's possible I could have ended up buying it blindly too. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll still probably give the trial a shot, though.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By august
    agc8602

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By agc8602
    @OneKillWonder: I had the same problem in Level 5 too, however when I went back to the start, the escalator was going in the right direction.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Hmmm...  Maybe I will wait and see if they fix these bugs before I check it out.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Lukeweizer

Earthworm Jim HD is just what I wanted.  I love it for it's riduculousness. And yo, Spacesuit avatar awards!

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By sjschmidt93

That dissapoints me. Guess I'll try it out.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
    @agc8602:  I noticed that, too. It should be noted, however, that shooting the target and causing it to disappear will force you to restart the level to do it again. Luckily that part is very early on in the level.

Now my progress is only impeded by For Pete's Sake. Nothing to do with this particular port of the game. That level is just one of the most awful fucking things ever devised.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

Waiting for it to be released on the PS3.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond
    @august said:
    One word: Gameloft.
    Yep.  I haven't tried the trial yet but the sound effects and music were really weak compared to the original versions in the videos I've seen.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187
    @Lukeweizer said:
    "Spacesuit avatar awards! "
    SOLD!
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By c1337us

I'd better trail it first then I guess.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I'd almost say Earthworm Jim HD is worth it for the co-op. If you can look past the control issues, then go for it. I've found myself getting used to the loose movement the more I play, though it still makes some stages way harder than they already may be. Co-op is definitely this game's strong point and is by far the best portion of this release.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Emilio

This is what I expected to hear since it is a Gameloft game. 
    I even hear the DSiWare port of the game is pretty much shit. (also by Gameloft)

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CptBedlam
    @august said:

" One word: Gameloft. "

Wow, contributors need to pay more attention to grammar. Missing commas, or "mabile games", really?
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By infininja

Shooting the target in Level 5 always caused the escalator to start moving for me, but I absolutely can't find a way into the bonus Who Turned Out The Lights? area. Did they strip it from the game? :\

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By dutch42

Thanks for the heads up man, I was fully intending to buy in this weekend.
    KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
    @Infininja said:
    " Shooting the target in Level 5 always caused the escalator to start moving for me, but I absolutely can't find a way into the bonus Who Turned Out The Lights? area. Did they strip it from the game? :\ "
    I've heard that they may have, actually. No one anywhere else has been able to get to it.
    delicious_lie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By delicious_lie

in co-op if someone has died before you can all pass the finish line, go back to a continue spot and they will respawn.
    it's really badly implemented. this game has a lot of problems. i doubt this would have any value for me at all if it weren't for nostalgia. the fucking racing bits between levels are soul crushing.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mysterysheep

I actually think it's a pretty good remake and managed to not come across any of the issues that you described. Also, the movement has always been pretty loose in Earthworm Jim and I found using the analog stick to be fine, just takes some getting used to.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23  Edited By JonathanMoore
    @august said:
    Yep, I think we can lock this up or something now, were done here...
    SpaceDandie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By SpaceDandie
    @OneKillWonder said:
    " @Infininja said:
    " Shooting the target in Level 5 always caused the escalator to start moving for me, but I absolutely can't find a way into the bonus Who Turned Out The Lights? area. Did they strip it from the game? :\ "
    I've heard that they may have, actually. No one anywhere else has been able to get to it. "
              I hear that you can find it in Splinter Cell Conviction.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @JonathanMoore said:
    " @august said:
    Yep, I think we can lock this up or something now, were done here... "
    Their Prince of Persia makeover was decent.  I own it on my phone and my 360. 
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

ah I picked up a SF4 gamepad for the 360 with its superior 32 way dpad.  So I can use it on all 2d and fighting games.  So I'm okay in that area...and bugs and glitches...the original earth worm games had those in spades.

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FakePlasticTree

I played the demo last night. I don't know...I really didn't like it. Visually it's very nice, but I found the controls to be absolutely terrible. Hopefully it's a little more improved on the PS3, but I'm not really counting on that. 

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By amoremono1

I love this game, and despite all the negative reviews, Im loving the HD version too.  Just for kicks Ive been doing a side by side level comparison, and though Im not really a gameloft fan, I think they did a fine job.  Havent made it to the supposedly jinxed 5th level though....

Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spoonybard37
    @august said:
    True that.
    Immuniity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Immuniity
    @OneKillWonder: 
    ' Now my progress is only impeded by For Pete's Sake. Nothing to do with this particular port of the game. That level is just one of the most awful fucking things ever devised. '

Bloody oath man. I know theres no doubt a graceful way to get through with minimal health lose but it just felt like every time a asteroid storm came i was stuck taking a boat load of damage even when i was firing (i.e. either forward, up or in at 45 degree angle...) it seemd to let heaps through and damaging me.

Like you said, the biggest flaw with the game is that its a port, early 90's controller and all. Its games like this that remind me that while i may have been just plane terrible at video games when i was young, controls in general were just awkward as hell. I felt the same way when i tried the perfect dark demo, i totally forgot all the pain i had doing simple thing because either the controls weren't responsive enough, or because they were just badly designed.
    thekidWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thekidWicked

Even for the PS3 this is absolute garbage!
    Controls are horrible. 
    Controls are even worse in the Andy's Asteroids level.
    Music is cheesy.
    Jim's voice isn't the same and cheesy as well. 
    The respawn "can of worms" art was so horribly designed...if its suppose to look like Jim it looks more like a peach colored bird.
    Extra added scoreboard artwork at the end of each levels looks like crap.
    Graphics in HD are a joke, they should have gotten the original artist,  David Perry  to re-skin the game (More like the original box cover art would have been doable on modern game systems and absolutely insane).
    What happened to the Snowman mini-boss in What the Heck?
    No  Who Turned Out The Lights?  bonus level...wtf.
    They ruined a classic, but still better than the EWJ 3D for N64.
    Bonus levels and multiplayer are interesting.
    Wish  Doug TenNapel would have done EWJ4 like he hinted years back.
    I hope sonic 4 isn't a disappointment

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.