OK, Matt Hazard. You Win.

• 67 results
Posted by Jeff (3464 posts) -
From this angle, it just kind of looks like a regular shooter.
When the game Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard was first announced, I was immediately put off. The whole "viral" nature of the game's announcement and subsequent fake development back story just felt like it was trying too hard. Then, once the game was actually announced and D3 and Vicious Cycle started talking about it, it just sounded too weird. Too "game-within-a-game." Too clever, even. I don't know. Whatever it was, it just completely put me off.

I'm still not entirely sold on the Eat Lead (as I haven't really seen it running), but there's a humor to the game's achievements that I can certainly appreciate. Xbox360Achievements has posted up a list, and here are a few that jumped out at me...

• It's HAZARD TIME! - Start your first game. - 15 points
  • Take 5. - Pause the game for the first time. - 5 points
  • ...Where Credit Is Due - Watch the credits from beginning to end. - 60 points

It's worth noting that aside from a secret 100 point achievement, that 60 pointer for the credits is the highest-scoring achievement in the game. That's pretty good. It'd be really funny, though, if that achievement was practically impossible to get. Like, maybe the credits are six hours long. Or maybe there's some stupid-hard gameplay associated with the credits. I'd be way into that.

Either way, you never know what it is about a game that's going to put it on your radar. Sounds like a lot of people got on-board once they heard that Will Arnett and Neil Patrick Harris were going to be doing voices. For me, it's these stupid-in-a-good-way achievements that leave me wanting to know more.

What do you think? Any interest in this seemingly self-aware third-person shooter?
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3464 posts) -
From this angle, it just kind of looks like a regular shooter.
When the game Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard was first announced, I was immediately put off. The whole "viral" nature of the game's announcement and subsequent fake development back story just felt like it was trying too hard. Then, once the game was actually announced and D3 and Vicious Cycle started talking about it, it just sounded too weird. Too "game-within-a-game." Too clever, even. I don't know. Whatever it was, it just completely put me off.

I'm still not entirely sold on the Eat Lead (as I haven't really seen it running), but there's a humor to the game's achievements that I can certainly appreciate. Xbox360Achievements has posted up a list, and here are a few that jumped out at me...

• It's HAZARD TIME! - Start your first game. - 15 points
  • Take 5. - Pause the game for the first time. - 5 points
  • ...Where Credit Is Due - Watch the credits from beginning to end. - 60 points

It's worth noting that aside from a secret 100 point achievement, that 60 pointer for the credits is the highest-scoring achievement in the game. That's pretty good. It'd be really funny, though, if that achievement was practically impossible to get. Like, maybe the credits are six hours long. Or maybe there's some stupid-hard gameplay associated with the credits. I'd be way into that.

Either way, you never know what it is about a game that's going to put it on your radar. Sounds like a lot of people got on-board once they heard that Will Arnett and Neil Patrick Harris were going to be doing voices. For me, it's these stupid-in-a-good-way achievements that leave me wanting to know more.

What do you think? Any interest in this seemingly self-aware third-person shooter?
Staff
#2 Posted by StarFoxA (5144 posts) -

Haha, I like how the credits one is worth 60 points.

#3 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

First I've heard of it. Love the achievements though. There's a lot to be said for achievements...

#4 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

NPH loving makes me want to play it.

#5 Posted by Seram (192 posts) -

I think movies should give people money somehow if they watch the entire credits in the theater. I'd have a lot of money.

#6 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6139 posts) -

I've been looking forward to this one since GamePro ran a feature on it.  It definitely looks to be worth a rental at the very least.

#7 Posted by GobiasIndustries (356 posts) -

GOB is the fucking lead voice actor, I'm buying this game day one.

#8 Posted by Quater (47 posts) -

I was way on board ever since I heard about the concept for the game and saw the first major trailer. That was a long while ago though, and I hadn't heard anything for a long time so I kinda forgot about it. I'm glad to be reminded like this. To be honest, I think disliking something for being "too clever" says more about you being a dumbass than anything else. The only thing that could go wrong is if the game ends up thinking it's more clever than it actually is, kinda like the Simpsons Game, which gave itself a big pat on the back for being satirical while simultaneously having some of the dumbest and most outdated gameplay in recent memory.

#9 Posted by agentboolen (1758 posts) -

Pause button achievement has me in for at least trying it lol...  Reminds me of the simpsons game hit start to start the game achievement.

#10 Posted by MatthewMeadows (588 posts) -

Is this actually a game, or some sort of joke?

#11 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

This sounds like an awesome game. Gob and NPH are in it, so why not play it? And with these achievements...yeah, it looks awesome.

#12 Posted by MrMiyagi (929 posts) -

This is hilarious.

#13 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I hope the game is just jam packed with funny stuff and references rather than having lengthy boring battles.  I kind of liked The Simpsons game as a 'joke game', laughed way more playing than then while watching the movie.

#14 Posted by JoblessTerence (349 posts) -

Haha! Maybe the credits will be like the end of Guitar Hero 3 and you'll have to do something ridiculous, like you said.

#15 Posted by Nakirendral (57 posts) -

Never heard of this game before this posting, but if Gob is in it I will keep my purchasing cash ready for the Giant Review.

#16 Posted by Matches_Malone (47 posts) -

Wow, really? Will Arnett and Neil Patrick Harris are lending their voices?  That should be interesting. I have not seen much on this game, but it immediately reminded me of Armed and Dangerous.

#17 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

I think we need more self-referential games.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this.

#18 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -

Hilarious achievements!

#19 Posted by Mjolnir (456 posts) -

First time hearing of this game for me as well, but if this kind of humor is present throughout I might just have to try it. And easy points are always nice.

#20 Posted by Synister_Gamer (43 posts) -

Hmm...Sounds pretty cool, but I got another games that are more importent I need to get first :P

#21 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

Normally, I'd think achievements should be for the more non practical tasks than something like "beat game on hard* or something. But I think these achievements are just too funny to throw away.

Still, I wish achievements and trophies would actually GIVE you something in return for getting them.

#22 Edited by Rodiard (437 posts) -

It will be interesting to see if these achievements are as simple as they sound, or if pausing the game, for instance, refers to some other gameplay element or plot point, and not just the player pressing the Start button.  Even if the gameplay is bad, the humor and unique fourth-wall-destroying parody nature might be enough to carry the game.

#23 Posted by VibratingDonkey (873 posts) -

Well if the "JRPG boss fight" stuff outweighs the "oh look, now there are [insert thing commonly used in games], isn't that hilarious" stuff, I might be interested.

#24 Posted by GreggD (4486 posts) -

I dig it. I've been kind of looking forward to this game since it was announced. Hopefully it's a good parody piece.

#25 Posted by PLWolf (922 posts) -

I'm definitely on board for this one. Going to the top of the Gamefly queue for sure.

#26 Posted by Brackynews (4056 posts) -

During the credits you get a crosshair and have to shoot all the names...TOTALLY RAD!

#27 Posted by WholeFunShow (351 posts) -

Never heard of it.

#28 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

"Still, I wish achievements and trophies would actually GIVE you something in return for getting them."
Well they should start unlocking avatar things I believe on NXE sometime in the future. Either that or there will be sort of a sub group of them that unlock avy items. Just imagine getting your crowbar from HL2, and your head crab plushie hat, and your big ass sword from Soul Calibur, all as accesories and whatnot. Fable british boxers! xD

#29 Posted by Shinedown220 (148 posts) -

Achievements. who needs them? Now, Trophies. Thats where its at!

#30 Posted by HatKing (5875 posts) -
#31 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

omg watch the credits. best fucking achievement ever!

#32 Posted by capfu (13 posts) -

I'm too sceptic about the game - but the trailers are pure tongue in cheek GREAT FUN.

so hope this one gets real goode.

#33 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

Those acheivements are amazing...

#34 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Awesome. And apparently there's a secret 100-point achievement as well. I wonder what sort of ridiculous task you'll have to perform for that one. :)

#35 Posted by Duskulblaka (26 posts) -

I guess it'll be a walk in the park for achievement junkies

#36 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Since it's the closest thing to Duke Nukem we'll ever see again, I'm interested somewhat.

Also, is this article being sarcastic? Or is my sense of humor just not working on the achievement list?

And in the caption, I would gone with a Flintstones reference.

#37 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

Hazard needs head hair

#38 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

I can't wait to subdue some 2D nazi sprites with a supersoaker.

#39 Posted by Erdie (96 posts) -

I'm picking it up.  Mainly because Dead Head Fred was awesome, and I'd like to see what they pull off on a home console.

#40 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
Media_Master said:
"Hazard needs head hair"
Absolutely not! As a person who began balding at a very young age, we need more naturally bald protagonists.

This recent Rod Blagojevich scandle has been great at turning the tide on hair jokes.

#41 Posted by _Phara0h_ (889 posts) -

It's sounds funny it even looks funny, but the short portions of game play I've seen leads me to belief that the game play sucks ballz. 

#42 Posted by MeatSim (10817 posts) -

I like the idea of a Video Game parody video game but it looks like a generic 3rd person shooter so far.

#43 Posted by Wright (637 posts) -

sounds like something worth a quick look =)

#44 Posted by ZombiePie (5629 posts) -

This game is trying way too hard to be funny.

#45 Posted by Kazona (3063 posts) -

Points for pausing a game, and for watching credits roll? Sold!

#46 Posted by CaLe (3944 posts) -

Developers need to be more humorous with their achievements. I appreciate this.

#47 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

HAHA thats the first i have heard of the game, but the achievements thing is pretty funny.

#48 Posted by BeatzUK (10 posts) -

First time I've heard about this game. Sounds....weird. 

#49 Posted by Johanz (248 posts) -

Humor in video games is rare, well, it's often tried, but rarely well executed. Matt Hazard actually made me laugh from what they have shown, the parodies/homages. :)

#50 Posted by John (828 posts) -

I hate games that have a billion secret achievs, like MUA.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.