Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 26, 2009

Action video game hero Matt Hazard returns (for the first time) in this comedic video-game-themed third-person shooter for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

S-Rank Blog Posts #4: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Phr4nk0

So it's been a lot longer than I thought it would be inbetween posts. I've basically finished 2 games (Dark Void and Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazzard) in the time between the last post and this one, but Dark Void glitched on me. This leaves me unable to unlock the last achievement and incredibly annoyed and frustrated. I'll try not to get too down on that fact but I'm constantly trying for completion so having this happen is a major bummer. Seeing as I'm in the mood to pour shit all over Dark Void we'll start by talking about that. 

I remember watching all the teaser videos and developer interviews and then reading comments about how awesome the game looked and how people were looking forward to it. I remember thinking "Am I the only one who thinks the game looks pretty average, why's everyone getting all excited about it?" Then reviews started coming out and basically mirrored my thoughts, but all of them seemed to think Dark Void had promise and that it was dissappointing that it didn't live up to it all. I never saw such promise... why do I have the game then? Because it cost me $5, thats why. At the time I thought $5 for what was sure to be a pretty easy 1000 points by playing an average, but by most accounts not bad or painful game, how could I pass that up? I wish I did now. 

What makes me more annoyed is the fact that I checked out Dark Void's achievements and everyone was talking about how Grease Monkey was glitched and offering up all these tips and tricks to help. Now I'm happy I found that and followed those hints and precautionary measures because it popped for me, but nowhere did I find anything about Book Worm glitching. Until it happened to me and I searched specifically for 'Book Worm Glitched' I found a few things about it being glitched. Now before anyone says just play it again/delete your save and start again... Nah son, it ain't work like that here. See Grease Monkey is unlocked by purchasing all the upgrades for your guns and jetpack and Book Worm for finding all the collectable journal entries in the levels. Capcom apparently thought it would be cool to tie the progress of these achievements to your Gamer Tag. So no matter if I delete my save\wipe my cache when I jump into the game my Gamer Tag says I have all of the journals so they don't reappear in the game. 

What makes me more annoyed is the precautions you take for Grease Monkey involve only buying upgrades in game at supply boxes and to disconnect from Xbox Live before you purchase your last one. So if it doesn't unlock the fix is to delete your Gamer Tag, connect to Xbox Live and recover your Tag again, thus returning your Tag to the state it was in when you disconnected and try again. Now if I had of known Book Worm was glitched I would have used the same precautions. Also I was planning to go for Grease Monkey but decided to do Book Worm first, and seeing as I try to get all my achievements online (so people can't accuse me of cheating) I plugged my ethernet cable back in just to get the last journal I needed. Then it didn't pop, and I pretty much shat my pants. I tried deleting my profile and recovering quickly to see if it hadn't registered yet but no dice. Fucked in the ass, by this god damn achievement. 

So now I'm super pissed and at the mercy of Capcom's good graces to release what is sure to be an easy patch. Just check the progress of the achievements tied to your Gamer Tag when the game boots up, but I know how things work, it'll never happen. Capcoms moved on, Dark Void was a major failure and they're trying to put as much distance between them and it as possible. So I'll be stuck here forever it seems. I was so annoyed that I looked up and found out how people glitch their Gamer Tags to unlock achievements and found out it's pathetically easy with the right programs. I haven't glitched it and don't plan on it now I've cooled down but maybe one day if I ever hit 99.9% completion and it's the one achievement standing in my way of 100% I might cave in. I don't see it as cheating because I went through and found every single journal in the game, used a guide to make sure, it should have unlocked but because of sloppy coding I'm denied something that is rightfully mine. The thing stopping me from doing it is the threat of having my score wiped. It would probably be the end of my playing Xbox, losing 3-4 years of Gamerscore. 

Not to mention that Dark Void likes to just lock up sometimes for no apparent reason. I played around 3/4 of the game in 1 sitting, went to bed then when I booted it up the next time it would lock up right before the main menu would load. I checked online and people have had it lock up on them in movies, inbetween level loads all over the place. I had to try installing, clearing my cache, playing it offline without the patch, downloading DLC, deleting DLC, uninstalling with patch before giving up and playing something else, only to try it again the day after and have everything work again. Now add to that to the DLC I mentioned above which 'should' add 250 Gamerscore to the game. But this is also glitched all to hell, you can unlock the achievements but they don't add to your Gamerscore. The Game shows only the original number of achievements when you look at it in the dashboard. It's another fuck up. I got all but 2 of the achievement in the DLC before deciding to fuck the game off and just move on. 

If I seperate myself from all the hate expessed above, Dark Void is OK. It's nothing new or special, but the shooting, flying around using a jetpack and exploring the world is decent. You could have some fun playing this game, it is fairly short though. If you have any interest in achievements avoid or atleast take special care. Enough about Dark Void, you are dead to me until you get a patch, on to Matt Hazard! 

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard is another pretty average game. It got some pretty average reviews aswell, but I for one enjoyed it. It's silly jabs at gaming tropes, call backs to styles of games from the past, parodies of some of the Gaming Industries most iconic characters and games arn't the most intellectually stimulating, but then again I didn't expect that. It's got some funny scenes and interesting concepts which kept me engaged through out, plus I love Wolfenstein 3D. It is however just a straight forward Cover-Based Shooter, you shoot things... from behind cover, before you move on to shooting more things. The guns feel decent and the shooting action is pretty good, it started to drag a bit at the end but in the end I would say I enjoyed the ride. 

The achievements are also fairly easy, I only had some trouble with 2 of them. Some are silly (Take 5. which you get for pausing the game for the first time), some easy (It's HAZARD TIME! for starting your first game) and some are little throw away jokes tied to the removal of a game feature. You even get one if you watch the whole credits. The two I had trouble with were Bedlam Basher and Observe the Grenade. Bedlam Basher requires you to melee a Bandit from behind. Now enemies have this annoying ability to always face you, even when encased in ice. The way you need to do this is by shooting them in the leg or shoulder so they stagger and quickly get behind them for a melee attack. It's not easy and I had to try for a good 30 minutes before getting it. You can try to get behind them as they spawn in, but this never seemed to work for me as they're immune to damage (or melee atleast) untill they're ready to go and then they instantly turn to face you. 

Observe the Grenade requires you to kill 3 Testers with 1 grenade. The best place to do this is when you are fighting the last wave of guys at the last boss. You need to have saved a Grenade Launcher in your inventory untill now. Testers are the enemies in the pink suits, just try and get the enemies to clump together and get a direct hit. This took me over 3 hours of trying one night, only to turn it on the next morning and get it first go. 

Apart from those two it's an easy 1000. You have to play the game twice (once to unlock the hardest difficulty, although I am told there is a cheat to unlock it from the get go) but by playing it twice it ment I didn't have to grind anything like shooting 50 explosive objects, shooting 30 potted plants, getting 20 super shields or whatever they are. Once again, not a "must have AAA title" but enjoyable. That brings me near the end of the stack of average games I only got because they were super cheap. Which means it might be a while before I get to post some more blogs. I might concentrate on finishing off some left over achievements in the games I have now though so I could be back faster than I think. 

I am closing in on the fabled 100 000 GS. Being in the mid 98 000's right now. I could hit it fairly soon depending on what I decide to do. I'll probably post something about that when that happens too. Until next time!

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Phr4nk0

So it's been a lot longer than I thought it would be inbetween posts. I've basically finished 2 games (Dark Void and Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazzard) in the time between the last post and this one, but Dark Void glitched on me. This leaves me unable to unlock the last achievement and incredibly annoyed and frustrated. I'll try not to get too down on that fact but I'm constantly trying for completion so having this happen is a major bummer. Seeing as I'm in the mood to pour shit all over Dark Void we'll start by talking about that. 

I remember watching all the teaser videos and developer interviews and then reading comments about how awesome the game looked and how people were looking forward to it. I remember thinking "Am I the only one who thinks the game looks pretty average, why's everyone getting all excited about it?" Then reviews started coming out and basically mirrored my thoughts, but all of them seemed to think Dark Void had promise and that it was dissappointing that it didn't live up to it all. I never saw such promise... why do I have the game then? Because it cost me $5, thats why. At the time I thought $5 for what was sure to be a pretty easy 1000 points by playing an average, but by most accounts not bad or painful game, how could I pass that up? I wish I did now. 

What makes me more annoyed is the fact that I checked out Dark Void's achievements and everyone was talking about how Grease Monkey was glitched and offering up all these tips and tricks to help. Now I'm happy I found that and followed those hints and precautionary measures because it popped for me, but nowhere did I find anything about Book Worm glitching. Until it happened to me and I searched specifically for 'Book Worm Glitched' I found a few things about it being glitched. Now before anyone says just play it again/delete your save and start again... Nah son, it ain't work like that here. See Grease Monkey is unlocked by purchasing all the upgrades for your guns and jetpack and Book Worm for finding all the collectable journal entries in the levels. Capcom apparently thought it would be cool to tie the progress of these achievements to your Gamer Tag. So no matter if I delete my save\wipe my cache when I jump into the game my Gamer Tag says I have all of the journals so they don't reappear in the game. 

What makes me more annoyed is the precautions you take for Grease Monkey involve only buying upgrades in game at supply boxes and to disconnect from Xbox Live before you purchase your last one. So if it doesn't unlock the fix is to delete your Gamer Tag, connect to Xbox Live and recover your Tag again, thus returning your Tag to the state it was in when you disconnected and try again. Now if I had of known Book Worm was glitched I would have used the same precautions. Also I was planning to go for Grease Monkey but decided to do Book Worm first, and seeing as I try to get all my achievements online (so people can't accuse me of cheating) I plugged my ethernet cable back in just to get the last journal I needed. Then it didn't pop, and I pretty much shat my pants. I tried deleting my profile and recovering quickly to see if it hadn't registered yet but no dice. Fucked in the ass, by this god damn achievement. 

So now I'm super pissed and at the mercy of Capcom's good graces to release what is sure to be an easy patch. Just check the progress of the achievements tied to your Gamer Tag when the game boots up, but I know how things work, it'll never happen. Capcoms moved on, Dark Void was a major failure and they're trying to put as much distance between them and it as possible. So I'll be stuck here forever it seems. I was so annoyed that I looked up and found out how people glitch their Gamer Tags to unlock achievements and found out it's pathetically easy with the right programs. I haven't glitched it and don't plan on it now I've cooled down but maybe one day if I ever hit 99.9% completion and it's the one achievement standing in my way of 100% I might cave in. I don't see it as cheating because I went through and found every single journal in the game, used a guide to make sure, it should have unlocked but because of sloppy coding I'm denied something that is rightfully mine. The thing stopping me from doing it is the threat of having my score wiped. It would probably be the end of my playing Xbox, losing 3-4 years of Gamerscore. 

Not to mention that Dark Void likes to just lock up sometimes for no apparent reason. I played around 3/4 of the game in 1 sitting, went to bed then when I booted it up the next time it would lock up right before the main menu would load. I checked online and people have had it lock up on them in movies, inbetween level loads all over the place. I had to try installing, clearing my cache, playing it offline without the patch, downloading DLC, deleting DLC, uninstalling with patch before giving up and playing something else, only to try it again the day after and have everything work again. Now add to that to the DLC I mentioned above which 'should' add 250 Gamerscore to the game. But this is also glitched all to hell, you can unlock the achievements but they don't add to your Gamerscore. The Game shows only the original number of achievements when you look at it in the dashboard. It's another fuck up. I got all but 2 of the achievement in the DLC before deciding to fuck the game off and just move on. 

If I seperate myself from all the hate expessed above, Dark Void is OK. It's nothing new or special, but the shooting, flying around using a jetpack and exploring the world is decent. You could have some fun playing this game, it is fairly short though. If you have any interest in achievements avoid or atleast take special care. Enough about Dark Void, you are dead to me until you get a patch, on to Matt Hazard! 

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard is another pretty average game. It got some pretty average reviews aswell, but I for one enjoyed it. It's silly jabs at gaming tropes, call backs to styles of games from the past, parodies of some of the Gaming Industries most iconic characters and games arn't the most intellectually stimulating, but then again I didn't expect that. It's got some funny scenes and interesting concepts which kept me engaged through out, plus I love Wolfenstein 3D. It is however just a straight forward Cover-Based Shooter, you shoot things... from behind cover, before you move on to shooting more things. The guns feel decent and the shooting action is pretty good, it started to drag a bit at the end but in the end I would say I enjoyed the ride. 

The achievements are also fairly easy, I only had some trouble with 2 of them. Some are silly (Take 5. which you get for pausing the game for the first time), some easy (It's HAZARD TIME! for starting your first game) and some are little throw away jokes tied to the removal of a game feature. You even get one if you watch the whole credits. The two I had trouble with were Bedlam Basher and Observe the Grenade. Bedlam Basher requires you to melee a Bandit from behind. Now enemies have this annoying ability to always face you, even when encased in ice. The way you need to do this is by shooting them in the leg or shoulder so they stagger and quickly get behind them for a melee attack. It's not easy and I had to try for a good 30 minutes before getting it. You can try to get behind them as they spawn in, but this never seemed to work for me as they're immune to damage (or melee atleast) untill they're ready to go and then they instantly turn to face you. 

Observe the Grenade requires you to kill 3 Testers with 1 grenade. The best place to do this is when you are fighting the last wave of guys at the last boss. You need to have saved a Grenade Launcher in your inventory untill now. Testers are the enemies in the pink suits, just try and get the enemies to clump together and get a direct hit. This took me over 3 hours of trying one night, only to turn it on the next morning and get it first go. 

Apart from those two it's an easy 1000. You have to play the game twice (once to unlock the hardest difficulty, although I am told there is a cheat to unlock it from the get go) but by playing it twice it ment I didn't have to grind anything like shooting 50 explosive objects, shooting 30 potted plants, getting 20 super shields or whatever they are. Once again, not a "must have AAA title" but enjoyable. That brings me near the end of the stack of average games I only got because they were super cheap. Which means it might be a while before I get to post some more blogs. I might concentrate on finishing off some left over achievements in the games I have now though so I could be back faster than I think. 

I am closing in on the fabled 100 000 GS. Being in the mid 98 000's right now. I could hit it fairly soon depending on what I decide to do. I'll probably post something about that when that happens too. Until next time!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.