Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Eidos Interactive

Company »

Eidos was an English based developer and publisher behind such games as Tomb Raider, Age of Conan, and Hitman. Since a buyout from Square Enix, the company is now know as Square Enix Europe.

Goodbye Eidos, hello Square Enix Europe

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64

Joystiq reports that the Eidos reorganization is done and they are renamed Square Enix Europe.  For the rest of the details, click the link.  Also, what do you guys think about the name?  Cool? Stupid?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

To be honest I'm not so sure what to think. Since it's just a name change I guess there isn't really much to say is there?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust
    @JJOR64:  

A smart one as the Eidos reputation was in much worse state than Square Enix, after all the review scandals and the poor tomb raider games.   

And Square Enix is a trusted trademark.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw  Online

I like the new name. Not sure I'd want to have my games branded under the Eidos name if I were the big-wigs in Square Enix, so it makes sense. The quality of the games needs to be ramped up, so it's kind of a wait-and-see for me.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By rjayb89

Only things I get from Square Enix are numbered Final Fantasy's that aren't MMOs and from Eidos, uh, nothing really. So good news all around.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I like the new name. Square Enix definitely has a better reputation than Eidos.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By Forcen

Should this page be renamed now that the company is renamed? Or will it look weird on all the pages for games that have been published by Eidos in the past?

For example: The Batman: Arkham Asylum page will say that it was published by Square Enix Europe when it says Eidos on the box.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CL60
    @rjayb89 said:
    " and from Eidos, uh, nothing really. So good news all around. "
    Hitman? Tomb Raider?
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JJOR64
    @Forcen said:
    " Should this page be renamed now that the company is renamed? Or will it look weird on all the pages for games that have been published by Eidos in the past?  For example: The Batman: Arkham Asylum page will say that it was published by Square Enix Europe when it says Eidos on the box. "
    Hmmm......  Technically we should rename the page or we could make a new one for it.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By dbz1995

We are in help...of a mod.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @Forcen said:
    " Should this page be renamed now that the company is renamed? Or will it look weird on all the pages for games that have been published by Eidos in the past?  For example: The Batman: Arkham Asylum page will say that it was published by Square Enix Europe when it says Eidos on the box. "
    Hmmm......  Technically we should rename the page or we could make a new one for it. "
    Needs a rename with Eidos set as an alias.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Godwind
    @Jeust said:
    " @JJOR64:    A smart one as the Eidos reputation was in much worse state than Square Enix, after all the review scandals and the poor tomb raider games.    And Square Enix is a trusted trademark. "

Square Enix has a lot of credibility in my opinion of quality.  They have really lost their edge since the merger.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeust
    @Godwind:  

They did, but they have a lot of talent nevertheless.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Godwind
    @Jeust said:
    " @Godwind:   They did, but they have a lot of talent nevertheless. "
    A lot of FORMER talent.

You are the guy that said they like Metroidvania style castlevania over the older games due to the "inclusion of a storyline."

Don't get me wrong, they have made a lot of great games.  However, ever since the merger, never been the same.

Keep in mind that Enix's greatest games came from developers outside of the company such as Tri-Ace and Quintet.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Eidos was no longer a brand to be excited about, this is probably a good thing.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Brunchies

Eidos might get some more attention with this new name, they really need it since their reputation hasn't been that good.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By beforet

I guess the chance of a Legacy of Kain sequel is dead in the water now...well it always was, but the hope is now gone.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeust
    @Godwind:  

Yep, i stand by it. 

And you are right... but i think that the decrease in quality happens because they are doing something that, besides Atlus, not many japanese companies are doing: inovation. 

If they don't, they'll crumble under their own weight. 
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Godwind
    @Jeust said:
    " @Godwind:   Yep, i stand by it.  And you are right... but i think that the decrease in quality happens because they are doing something that, besides Atlus, not many japanese companies are doing it.  Inovation.  "
    Innovation doesn't suck so much.  Also, most of their quality comes from the side of developers outside of Square Enix itself.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rjayb89
    @CL60: I did like the Batman.  The Batman game.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jeust
    @Godwind: i think they are testing so much because they want to bring what worked and innovate the final fantasy franchise.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Godwind
    @Jeust said:
    " @Godwind: i think they are testing so much because they want to bring what worked and innovate the final fantasy franchise. "
    So how about releasing a game with good ideas to begin with?  Testing the waters is retarded and is evident of their ability to demonstrate their knowledge of good ideas.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jeust
    @Godwind: it's similar to what Namco Bandai did with tales of vesperia. 

They tested on the xbox360 and then released the final version the ps3.

At least squares realeases a new game with each test. lol
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Godwind
    @Jeust said:
    " @Godwind: it's similar to what Namco Bandai did with tales of vesperia.   They tested on the xbox360 and then released the final version the ps3.  At least squares realeases a new game with each test. lol "

No, they have been remaking a lot of games or publishing games from other developers.  Seriously, what was the latest game made by Square Enix themselves that have been SOOO GOOD and isn't a remake.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jeust
    @Godwind: 

Namco concerning Tales of Vesperia said that released on the xbox 360 so they get financed to bring it to the ps3, so you can say they tested it first on the xbox.

About square, i liked the final fantasy XII, though many appear to dislike it.
    MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MetalR

Square Enix logo on my Hitman V? NOOO!

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Adamantium

It's a good move for both companies, but I miss the days it was just Square. Every time they acquire another studio they add a word to the name. One day we'll have games presented by "Square Enix Europe Freestyle BlackBox Hoochie-Coochie Misnomer." I can't wait.  :P

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheHBK

Square Enix Sucks.  Eidos sucks.  What are they gonna do now?  Make Kane and Lynch Fantasy 14?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Godwind

@Jeust said:

" @Godwind:   Namco concerning Tales of Vesperia said that released on the xbox 360 so they get financed to bring it to the ps3, so you can say they tested it first on the xbox.  "

No, they developed a game for one platform to finance the port of the same game to another platform.

@Jeust said:

" @Godwind:     About square, i liked the final fantasy XII, though many appear to dislike it. "

Liking a game and measuring its quality is two different games.  I have had fun with many games that are pieces of crap.  They have been able to make great games without having to test the waters.  A good developer is able to implement a game with good ideas.
    Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pinkshley1

I have a lot of bad memories which I affiliate with the Eidos name. Project Snowblind anyone? 

So them using a new name will make it so that I dont immediately judge their games negatively.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @rjayb89 said:
    " Only things I get from Square Enix are numbered Final Fantasy's that aren't MMOs and from Eidos, uh, nothing really. So good news all around. "
    If you have only played FF from Square Enix, you really should play Chrono Trigger it is, in my opinion the greatest JRPG ever made.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rjayb89
    @JeffGoldblum: 
    So many games, so little time.  I've always been curious about Chrono Trigger, considering the art-style used and how much I've heard about it being the best RPG ever, so I've added it to my GameQ for GameFly.  Oddly enough, the DS version was released on my birthday, so I can only expect good things from this.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jeust
    @Godwind said:
    "
    @Jeust said:

" @Godwind:   Namco concerning Tales of Vesperia said that released on the xbox 360 so they get financed to bring it to the ps3, so you can say they tested it first on the xbox.  "

No, they developed a game for one platform to finance the port of the same game to another platform.

@Jeust said:

" @Godwind:     About square, i liked the final fantasy XII, though many appear to dislike it. "

Liking a game and measuring its quality is two different games.  I have had fun with many games that are pieces of crap.  They have been able to make great games without having to test the waters.  A good developer is able to implement a game with good ideas. "
    Tales of Vesperia on the ps3 is very different of the xbox version.  

The game was rushed to respect the deadline, and some content was cut from the final version. 

Also sony "threaten" Namco to deliver more content or it wouldn't allow the game to be ported to the PS3. 

So all and all you have two different games. 

For me Final Fantasy XII is an amazing game, and i loved the gameplay. The story is different, but has it's appeal nevertheless. For me it has a lot of quality.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Claude

I smell money. Eidos has lots to offer in names, let the games begin.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PureRok
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @rjayb89 said:
    " Only things I get from Square Enix are numbered Final Fantasy's that aren't MMOs and from Eidos, uh, nothing really. So good news all around. "
    If you have only played FF from Square Enix, you really should play Chrono Trigger it is, in my opinion the greatest JRPG ever made. "
    Or Dragon Quest; it's been way better than Final Fantasy for a while. I mean, Final Fantasy I, VI and IX are still great, but Dragon Quest just trumps the rest of Final Fantasy.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#36  Edited By Symphony
    @Godwind said:

" @Jeust said:

A lot of FORMER talent.  You are the guy that said they like Metroidvania style castlevania over the older games due to the "inclusion of a storyline."  Don't get me wrong, they have made a lot of great games.  However, ever since the merger, never been the same.  Keep in mind that Enix's greatest games came from developers outside of the company such as Tri-Ace and Quintet. "
    You've got a point about Enix's greatest games coming from outside development studios. My favorite games of theirs -- E.V.O. The Search for Eden was developed by Almanic, while Soul Blazer and Illusions of Gaia (and Actraiser, which I didn't actually much care for -- blasphemy, I know) were developed by Quintet. Okay I guess Star Ocean also deserves a mention as it was developed by Tri-Ace... come to think of it which Enix games were in-house...? Dragon Quest?

@Jeust said:
    " @Godwind: it's similar to what Namco Bandai did with tales of vesperia.   They tested on the xbox360 and then released the final version the ps3.  At least squares realeases a new game with each test. lol "

I see you're a fan of Sankaku Complex's theory of "Vesperia was a beta on the 360 lawl"... except for the fact it was released a year prior and had they not done any updates people would have whined. That and the fact that games do that all the time on the SAME console. Remember Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution? Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance? Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance? Even SE has done it with Final Fantasy X: International Edition.

So the idea that the original release was merely a beta in order to produce a "final" version is laughable. If so, was the original release of Final Fantasy X also a beta?

-----

As for the name change... SE Europe won't be making Final Fantasy so I couldn't give a toss one way or another, to be perfectly honest >.> SE's non-FF titles have been massively underwhelming of late -- Last Remnant was horrible, Infinite Undiscovery was crap, and Star Ocean 4 was bad (but the combat was really addictive and there was a good game underneath all the melodrama, poor dialogue, and bland characters trying to shine through).
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeust
    @Symphony:  

I love a good conspiracy theory. 

But from what i read it add up pretty well. 

Then why is the name of the game the same, if there is so much new content?  Maybe a indication that it belongs there... :p 
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Symphony
    @Jeust said:

" @Symphony:   I love a good conspiracy theory.  But from what i read it add up pretty well.  Then why is the name of the game the same, if there is so much new content?  Maybe a indication that it belongs there... :p  "

Because it's coming out on a different console but it IS ultimately the same game.... There's no need to embellish on the title when there isn't a similarly named title already existing on the console. Trusty Bell / Eternal Sonata didn't get a new name when it was released on the PS3, nor did the expansions for GTA or Fallout 3...

edit: I can has grammar?
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By vidiot

I'll be blunt: Good Riddance. 

Eidos has a lot of great properties under their belt, I am supportive of Square's takeover. In their final days, Eidos made a ton of...let's be blunt again: Stupid decisions. The Kane and Lynch fiasco practically ruined any form of reputation they had, as well as taint an entire profession which wounds I don't think will ever fully heal. They pushed Tomb Raider: Underworld during an over-crowded holiday season, and hoped for returns from that title that were pretty ridiculous. There were of course, other properties they simply ignored.

Where was I?

I don't think it's just a name change, but even if it was, it still helps. I think over time, this will be win/win. Square desperately needs a reality check on how to keep current against western game development, overtime I think this acquisition will have it's positives. There's also the possibility of a joint project of some-sort, and my personal nerd hope: a western take on Final Fantasy, which regardless of quality is simply just something I want to see, the concept fascinates me :P 

@Symphony said:

" @Jeust said:

" @Symphony:   I love a good conspiracy theory.  But from what i read it add up pretty well.  Then why is the name of the game the same, if there is so much new content?  Maybe a indication that it belongs there... :p  "

Because it's coming out on a different console but it IS ultimately the same game.... There's no need to embellish on the title when there isn't a similarly named title already existing on the console. Trusty Bell / Eternal Sonata didn't get a new name when it was released on the PS3, nor did the expansions for GTA or Fallout 3...  edit: I can has grammar? "

Oh, for godsake. Both of you! Grrrr!/Barking noise

Sony requires developers to add extra content to you port if it was not released at the same time as a traditional multi-platform title. If your game has taken a year to be released on the PS3, tough luck, start making extra content for it. 
    Examples: Bioshock, Alone in the Dark, insert title here.
    Yes, there were portions of Vesperia's content that was planned, removed, and then added in for the PS3 release. This happens all the time in game development, Namco simply had an opportunity to add it back in. There is no conspiracy theory. 
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Symphony
    @vidiot said:
    "@Symphony said:

" @Jeust said:

Because it's coming out on a different console but it IS ultimately the same game.... There's no need to embellish on the title when there isn't a similarly named title already existing on the console. Trusty Bell / Eternal Sonata didn't get a new name when it was released on the PS3, nor did the expansions for GTA or Fallout 3...  edit: I can has grammar? "

Sony requires developers to add extra content to you port if it was not released at the same time as a traditional multi-platform title. If your game has taken a year to be released on the PS3, tough luck, start making extra content for it. 
    Yes, there were portions of Vesperia's content that was planned, removed, and then added in for the PS3 release. This happens all the time in game development, Namco simply had an opportunity to add it back in. There is no conspiracy theory.  "
    Why are you grring at me? You're on my side!

We win! TKO!
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By vidiot
    @Symphony said:

" @vidiot said:

"@Symphony said:

" @Jeust said:

Yes, there were portions of Vesperia's content that was planned, removed, and then added in for the PS3 release. This happens all the time in game development, Namco simply had an opportunity to add it back in. There is no conspiracy theory.  "
    Why are you grring at me? You're on my side!  We win! TKO! "
    Typical Canadian: My founding fathers died for the ability for me to bark menacingly at those I want too, without forethought.
    Besides, I thought we were at war? Are we at war? We should be at war. I declare war.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Symphony
    @vidiot said:
    "Typical Canadian: My founding fathers died for the ability for me to bark menacingly at those I want too, without forethought.
    Besides, I thought we were at war? Are we at war? We should be at war. I declare war. "
    Canada surrenders unconditionally. Betcha didn't see that coming, didja! Now what are you gonna do, huh? Your plans have been foiled! Foiled, I say!!
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By vidiot
    @Symphony said:

" @vidiot said:

"Typical Canadian: My founding fathers died for the ability for me to bark menacingly at those I want too, without forethought.
    Besides, I thought we were at war? Are we at war? We should be at war. I declare war. "
    Canada surrenders unconditionally. Betcha didn't see that coming, didja! Now what are you gonna do, huh? Your plans have been foiled! Foiled, I say!! "

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU ARE NO FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To be fair though, last time I checked Canada's kinda a state. We would be invading ourselves. It seems a bit redundant.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jeust
    @Symphony: 

There are no winners.

I just used that example, as showing that there is worse than creating a new game for each experiment. :p
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Godwind
    @Symphony said:
    " @vidiot said:
    "@Symphony said:

" @Jeust said:

Why are you grring at me? You're on my side!  We win! TKO! "
    Hey Einstein, I'm on your side.

@Symphony said:
    " @Godwind said:

" @Jeust said:

A lot of FORMER talent.  You are the guy that said they like Metroidvania style castlevania over the older games due to the "inclusion of a storyline."  Don't get me wrong, they have made a lot of great games.  However, ever since the merger, never been the same.  Keep in mind that Enix's greatest games came from developers outside of the company such as Tri-Ace and Quintet. "
    You've got a point about Enix's greatest games coming from outside development studios. My favorite games of theirs -- E.V.O. The Search for Eden was developed by Almanic, while Soul Blazer and Illusions of Gaia (and Actraiser, which I didn't actually much care for -- blasphemy, I know) were developed by Quintet. Okay I guess Star Ocean also deserves a mention as it was developed by Tri-Ace... come to think of it which Enix games were in-house...? Dragon Quest?

@Jeust said:

I see you're a fan of Sankaku Complex's theory of "Vesperia was a beta on the 360 lawl"... except for the fact it was released a year prior and had they not done any updates people would have whined. That and the fact that games do that all the time on the SAME console. Remember Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution? Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance? Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance? Even SE has done it with Final Fantasy X: International Edition.

So the idea that the original release was merely a beta in order to produce a "final" version is laughable. If so, was the original release of Final Fantasy X also a beta?

-----

As for the name change... SE Europe won't be making Final Fantasy so I couldn't give a toss one way or another, to be perfectly honest >.> SE's non-FF titles have been massively underwhelming of late -- Last Remnant was horrible, Infinite Undiscovery was crap, and Star Ocean 4 was bad (but the combat was really addictive and there was a good game underneath all the melodrama, poor dialogue, and bland characters trying to shine through). "

I am usually right babe.  Time to put on the shades.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.