I can't figure out if I like this game or not

#1 Posted by bushpusherr (809 posts) -

I'm about half way through Chapter 6 at this point and I'm very divided.

I really like the look of the game and how often it changes. The environments are pretty crazy and ridiculous, and that makes getting to the next one kind of exciting. The stained glass platforming section has been especially memorable so far.

But what the fuck is goin on with the rest of the game? It's impenetrable. The dialogue is non-nonsensical and frivolous. There are tons of random pseudo boss fights that I can't tell if are of any consequence at all, considering the same thing seems to happen when I win or lose. I also seem to be moving through areas before I've even completed the objective that I've been sent there for in the first place. Also, there are a few too many random enemy encounters that pop up, and the combat really isn't finding my favor.

For those that have played through it, does it keep up this cryptic throughout? Does it make any more sense as it goes along? I realize I need to bring back the 7 fallen angels, but everything else is just fucking non sense. Also, the phone conversations about me as if I'm not right there are getting kind of annoying.

#2 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I loved it. It is not very penetrable though and is not going to get much better but that is part of what makes it so great.

#3 Posted by rubberluffy (471 posts) -

I'm sure will be here soon to tell you how awesome it is, but I'll beat him to it. I didn't really pay any attention to the story because I was too busy looking at the prettiness of it all and I found the combat to be really fun, and even funner when I got the shieldfists (Veil). I like how the combat is a bit rhythm based, if you just mash attack you might not ever know that timing your presses does different combos.

#4 Posted by ZagZagovich (769 posts) -

Yes, it keeps being cryptic and you probably won't be satisfied with the ending. It's one of those where they expected to get a sequel no matter what. Gameplay gets more demanding in terms of platforming and you have probably seen all that the combat can give you in the game. The art style is cool though. I ended up really hating the game but it sure looked pretty for a few levels. BTW those Freeman letters are probably the only source of cohesive information in the game so if you want to get more of what's going on collect them.

#5 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

I've been playing it on and off since picking it up at Gamestop with some christmas money, and I'm right about where they start introducing Fire Nephiliim's(which are god-damn terrifying), and I'm starting to really enjoy it. It's been a good week or so since that though, so maybe I'll try to finish it this coming weekend.

As far as I'm concerned, the music and environments are worth the $20 I paid.

#6 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

I like the idea of delving into Christianity in a video game(excluding Dante's Inferno because that game was a steam pile of crap and using christian mythology in that game was just a way to grab peoples attention and make them seem edgy), but the game itself isn't really my thing.

#7 Posted by Bam_D_Leprechaun (795 posts) -

I still need to pick this game up, unfortunately it's also still 40$

#8 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@rubberluffy said:

I'm sure @Video_Game_King will be here soon to tell you how awesome it is, but I'll beat him to it. I didn't really pay any attention to the story because I was too busy looking at the prettiness of it all and I found the combat to be really fun, and even funner when I got the shieldfists (Veil). I like how the combat is a bit rhythm based, if you just mash attack you might not ever know that timing your presses does different combos.

If the Video_Game_King likes it, it must be a little obscure and suck.
#9 Posted by falserelic (5468 posts) -

I had this game sense December and I still enjoy playing it. I've been trying to get a platinum in this game. So far I been trying to get the Godlike trophy which is hard as shit to get.

#10 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@Claude said:
@rubberluffy said:

I'm sure @Video_Game_King will be here soon to tell you how awesome it is, but I'll beat him to it. I didn't really pay any attention to the story because I was too busy looking at the prettiness of it all and I found the combat to be really fun, and even funner when I got the shieldfists (Veil). I like how the combat is a bit rhythm based, if you just mash attack you might not ever know that timing your presses does different combos.

If the Video_Game_King likes it, it must be a little obscure and suck.
*High Five*
#11 Posted by ShaggE (6554 posts) -

You love it. It's your absolute favorite game, and the fanart will soon follow. When GB announce an Endurance Run of it, it will be the best day of your life.

... I can't back any of that up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.