Really enjoyed this

#1 Posted by RainVillain (480 posts) -

I went into this expecting something superficial but with striking visuals, but in the end this game had a lot of depth and was a lot of fun to play. Right behind L.A Noire, Portal 2 and LBP2 for my fave of the year, right now. I surprisingly enjoyed it more than Catherine, which I also enjoyed quite a lot.

I think the game is worth experiencing for its art style, regardless of one's interest in character action games (imo not as fun/fluid as Bayonetta, but maybe as good as God of War). The soundtrack is top notch as well.

Check it out if you haven't. Now on to Deus Ex HR and Devil Survivor Overclocked...

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

It's weird how little coverage I've seen of this game, at least on Giant Bomb. I'll make sure to play it soon.

#3 Posted by csl316 (8674 posts) -

Gotta say that after a few levels, the art really seems to add so much to the experience. And the gameplay is fun, but I'm curious how it'll evolve over the course of the game.

I'll say that IGN's 5.0 had me second guessing it, but so far so good!

#4 Posted by believer258 (11907 posts) -

How is this game as good as God of War? I played the demo through to the end and it was the same damn thing over and over and over. No combos, no real fancy stuff, just attack attack attack jump some do it again. 

God of War had really fun combos and interesting and challenging enemies to kill, and it constantly threw different ones at you. And it split up the action with some puzzles (and you eventually realize that a good third of the game is one huge puzzle). Does this game have any thing like that? 

I'm not trying to attack your opinion, I'm asking what's so good about it. Other than art. Art does not make a game.

#5 Posted by csl316 (8674 posts) -
@believer258 believe it or not, but the combat has some depth. It's quite fun, creative as hell, has some great boss battles, and some stunning set pieces. And sweet ass art : )

Regardless, I hit some glitch where killing an enemy freezes the game for a split second. Started after getting the 50 beloveds achievement, and saw some people on gamefaqs had the same issue. Anyone here got any tips to fix it?
#6 Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -

It seems like most of the people hating on this game only played the demo. So... maybe the demo was really crappy? I only played the retail game and loved it.

#7 Posted by sweaty_betty (13 posts) -

lets play unlimited saGa...

#8 Posted by minotaka (320 posts) -

Think its great! still gota play more though :(

#9 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

I'm not a fan of concept art, but after I finished this game I went through the concept art and really marveled at it. This game is so beautiful I want to hang it on my wall.

@believer258: Because if you play it mashy, it'll only be mashy. The trick is the timing and when you're safe. If you mash it out, he does 3-5 attacks, if you take short pauses between each strike, he does guard break attacks. There's the charge attack which has its uses if you time it properly, the 'lift up' attack for some air stuff but I didn't use it that much, and then the quick dodge. The game becomes figuring out when to strike through the enemies, rather than just mash-mash-mash the attack button.

#10 Posted by believer258 (11907 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I'm not a fan of concept art, but after I finished this game I went through the concept art and really marveled at it. This game is so beautiful I want to hang it on my wall.

@believer258: Because if you play it mashy, it'll only be mashy. The trick is the timing and when you're safe. If you mash it out, he does 3-5 attacks, if you take short pauses between each strike, he does guard break attacks. There's the charge attack which has its uses if you time it properly, the 'lift up' attack for some air stuff but I didn't use it that much, and then the quick dodge. The game becomes figuring out when to strike through the enemies, rather than just mash-mash-mash the attack button.

Timing is only part of an action games' combat. Sure, you really need good timing to save your skin when the going gets tough, but the combos, weapons, and everything else has to be fun as well. The demo of this game only demonstrated timing and, from what I remember, only one attack button. One attack button is not enough for an action game such as this.

It's been a while since I played the demo, though. It's still on my 360 and I'll check it out again, but I don't think it will impress me anymore than it did the first time. It's just a bunch of fancy art, which at least for me cannot carry a game past the first few minutes.

#11 Edited by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Brodehouse said:

Timing is only part of an action games' combat. Sure, you really need good timing to save your skin when the going gets tough, but the combos, weapons, and everything else has to be fun as well. The demo of this game only demonstrated timing and, from what I remember, only one attack button. One attack button is not enough for an action game such as this.

It's been a while since I played the demo, though. It's still on my 360 and I'll check it out again, but I don't think it will impress me anymore than it did the first time. It's just a bunch of fancy art, which at least for me cannot carry a game past the first few minutes.

Maybe you don't understand. The timing of your button press actually changes the nature of the attack in important ways. I'm not saying that it's Bayonetta class, but that game isn't good because it uses 4 buttons, it's good because it rewards skillful play. And it's not God of War. God of War is about hitting the light and heavy attack buttons for 30 seconds and then walking to the next room, this is about throwing two attacks, dodging, throwing two more, switching targets and using guard break powers and then a charge attack to stun the target, using purify to switch weapons because the Arch is no damn good against Gale enemies, and so on.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11907 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@believer258 said:

@Brodehouse said:

Maybe you don't understand. The timing of your button press actually changes the nature of the attack in important ways. I'm not saying that it's Bayonetta class, but that game isn't good because it uses 4 buttons, it's good because it rewards skillful play. And it's not God of War. God of War is about hitting the light and heavy attack buttons for 30 seconds and then walking to the next room, this is about throwing two attacks, dodging, throwing two more, switching targets and using guard break powers and then a charge attack to stun the target, using purify to switch weapons because the Arch is no damn good against Gale enemies, and so on.

I understood perfectly. I don't need to be told how the combat works when I've already played the fucking demo. I still think it's underdeveloped and could have been much, much more interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.