Rise on Enoch

Posted by RedJimi (37 posts) -

A theology student finds it interesting when somebody tries to make a biblical game. I for one crave for a Warhammer-type strategy set with the ark of the covenant as superweapon while struggling in David's shoes to make it all work in Israels favor. While I'm aware of the many failures the Book has faced in the licence game front I'm quite thrilled when anybody takes a shot at it. Bible hasn't had many successful, realistic or even remotely properly done games in the past. Who could perform such a feat? Who could succeed where others have failed? Enter my favorite people (after the Jews), the Japanese.
Japanese mindset of weirdness combined with apocalyptic materials and remarkable freedom from biblical strictness can be full of Win. There are no real limits of interpretation and the material is unknown to the great masses.  I give it a go-go, this can work in our favor.
The heavier exegesis is not necessary on such non-canonical works, as nobody really cares what the text really says. I can almost see the time when all theology students have to play Xbox games to pass their exams'n stuff. Games are interpretations of our culture and bible should be an inherit part of that. This kind of work should be supported by any christian realising the future possibilities of the gaming industry.

PS. I have seen a video about the sermon against the pokemon and I think that guy needs to do his homework before returning to the pulpit. That was political agenda with a touch of hermeneutical suicide.

#1 Posted by RedJimi (37 posts) -

A theology student finds it interesting when somebody tries to make a biblical game. I for one crave for a Warhammer-type strategy set with the ark of the covenant as superweapon while struggling in David's shoes to make it all work in Israels favor. While I'm aware of the many failures the Book has faced in the licence game front I'm quite thrilled when anybody takes a shot at it. Bible hasn't had many successful, realistic or even remotely properly done games in the past. Who could perform such a feat? Who could succeed where others have failed? Enter my favorite people (after the Jews), the Japanese.
Japanese mindset of weirdness combined with apocalyptic materials and remarkable freedom from biblical strictness can be full of Win. There are no real limits of interpretation and the material is unknown to the great masses.  I give it a go-go, this can work in our favor.
The heavier exegesis is not necessary on such non-canonical works, as nobody really cares what the text really says. I can almost see the time when all theology students have to play Xbox games to pass their exams'n stuff. Games are interpretations of our culture and bible should be an inherit part of that. This kind of work should be supported by any christian realising the future possibilities of the gaming industry.

PS. I have seen a video about the sermon against the pokemon and I think that guy needs to do his homework before returning to the pulpit. That was political agenda with a touch of hermeneutical suicide.

#2 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@RedJimi said:

"  Enter my favorite people (after the Jews), the Japanese. Japanese mindset of weirdness combined with apocalyptic materials and remarkable freedom from biblical strictness can be full of Win. "

@RedJimi said: 

" from biblical strictness can be full of Win. "

@RedJimi said: 

"   

full of Win.

"
#3 Posted by Aronman789 (2671 posts) -

I want a game based on that one giant undead army. 
 And one where you are one of the fallen angels trying to stay alive in hell, you know, trying to fight off the demons and fire. 
I imagine hell as a fiery cavern with a fortress in the middle where the fallen angels are held up in, trying not to die.

#4 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -

Gonna at least rent if not buy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.