Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Electronic Arts

Company »

EA is one of the largest publisher/developers in the video game industry.

(Discontinued) Service Updates

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By indieslaw

I found this list to be particularly depressing:

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

This is the list of games that will be, and have been, shut down by EA. Just a long list of someone's shattered dreams.

I have international friends who still play Sims 2, I wonder if this will cut them off.

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Yep especially for consoles all EA servers are bound to go offline 1 or 2 years after the game comes out.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Seems fair to me. Can't keep something around forever for nostalgia sake. These things cost money.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember when me and my brother wanted to duke it out in EA MMA only to find "Fuck you, we're not server supporting this title anymore." It's part of the reason this whole "let's go digital" thing is really tricky to me. Flip a switch and you own a useless piece of plastic or code.

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@magzine: Yes but EA is notorious for shutting down servers extremely quickly while most other publishers on consoles keep the online up for at least 3 years. You are lucky to get a full year of server support for an EA title, even with them now charging people for online passes, which you would think would allow them to keep servers up longer. EA just wants as much profit as possible and its why their policy is shut down servers very quickly to force you to buy whatever new game they have out or might have out in a few years.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@magzine said:

Seems fair to me. Can't keep something around forever for nostalgia sake. These things cost money.

Or you could just build your systems such that they don't require external servers? Most Xbox 360 games don't need them - everything is handled by Microsoft. That's what you pay for when you buy Gold. But EA wants everything to go through their internal systems, which means they have to run severs. This is ENTIRELY the fault of EA at least on the 360.

(Note: I am less familiar with how PSN works when it comes to games. Maybe EA has no choice there.)

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MAGZine

@lazyhoboguy: My guess is that EA doesn't want to keep a whole bunch of servers running and people maintaining them so that a couple hundred people can play their copy of FIFA 06.

@lebkin: Having Microsoft run the servers is just delaying the inevitable. Games hosted by Microsoft will go down eventually... just a bit later than EA. End result is still the same.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

March 29, 2013 -- Online Services Shutdown - Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes for PC

Less than one year? Amazing. Glad that games cost nothing to make, or that would have been an embarrassing waste of time and money for everyone involved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.