EA Announces A Trio Of Downloadable Games For Release In 2011

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The EA Partners program will be responsible for the release of several more downloadable games on XBLA, PSN, and the PC in 2011. This morning, EA revealed a trio of downloadable games set for release next year, all of which are coming from independent and relatively unknown studios. The platforms for these three games--Warp, Gatling Gears, and The Fancy Pants Adventures--are the usual ones: PC, Xbox Live Arcade, and PSN.

Since EA announced three wildly different games at the same time, we've tried to make it a little easier to process and digest all this information by using a list to separate each game from the other. Take a gander just below to learn what we know about each game and each developer involved.

== TEASER ==

Warp
Despite an announcement press release, EA and developer developer Trapdoor are keeping rather tight-lipped about Warp, a "unique stealth action game features a top-down sci-fi world with a distinctive art style, addicting levels, hazardous traps and challenging puzzles." Warp appears to be Trapdoor's first project, and it's set for release next summer.

Gatling Gears
Vanguard Games must have bought those office couches and chairs in a hurry. After just two months or so in existence, the studio (which was founded by the two co-founders of Guerrilla Games) has announced its first game, Gatling Gears, which is based in the "same Mistbound universe" as last year's downloadable release Greed Corp. Gatling Gears introduces twin-stick shooting and a new hero, Max Brawley, to the fledgling series, and should be released in Spring 2011.

The Fancy Pants Adventures
If you're a fan of Flash-based games, you've probably already stumbled upon The Fancy Pants Game at some point. If you haven't, well, you can go play the side-scrolling and hand-drawn platformer at this link right now. Over The Top Games, Borne Games, and an internal EA outfit are all working to bring this game to PSN and Xbox Live Arcade this Spring 2011 and will be adding in a new world, a new story, and new modes of play to this console versions.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The EA Partners program will be responsible for the release of several more downloadable games on XBLA, PSN, and the PC in 2011. This morning, EA revealed a trio of downloadable games set for release next year, all of which are coming from independent and relatively unknown studios. The platforms for these three games--Warp, Gatling Gears, and The Fancy Pants Adventures--are the usual ones: PC, Xbox Live Arcade, and PSN.

Since EA announced three wildly different games at the same time, we've tried to make it a little easier to process and digest all this information by using a list to separate each game from the other. Take a gander just below to learn what we know about each game and each developer involved.

== TEASER ==

Warp
Despite an announcement press release, EA and developer developer Trapdoor are keeping rather tight-lipped about Warp, a "unique stealth action game features a top-down sci-fi world with a distinctive art style, addicting levels, hazardous traps and challenging puzzles." Warp appears to be Trapdoor's first project, and it's set for release next summer.

Gatling Gears
Vanguard Games must have bought those office couches and chairs in a hurry. After just two months or so in existence, the studio (which was founded by the two co-founders of Guerrilla Games) has announced its first game, Gatling Gears, which is based in the "same Mistbound universe" as last year's downloadable release Greed Corp. Gatling Gears introduces twin-stick shooting and a new hero, Max Brawley, to the fledgling series, and should be released in Spring 2011.

The Fancy Pants Adventures
If you're a fan of Flash-based games, you've probably already stumbled upon The Fancy Pants Game at some point. If you haven't, well, you can go play the side-scrolling and hand-drawn platformer at this link right now. Over The Top Games, Borne Games, and an internal EA outfit are all working to bring this game to PSN and Xbox Live Arcade this Spring 2011 and will be adding in a new world, a new story, and new modes of play to this console versions.
#2 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

Well, at least PC isn't shafted, per se.

#3 Posted by MJHAYLETT (437 posts) -

Downloadable games are great :D Sometimes!

#4 Posted by Twazuk (178 posts) -

Hey! Fancy Pants was pretty fun. Wonder what they'll bring to the downloadable table.

#5 Posted by Redbullet685 (6027 posts) -

Fancy Pants is pretty good.

#6 Posted by DrX25 (1489 posts) -

Weird that three studios are working on Fancy Pants

#7 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

A comment on the first page?
Fancy pants IS good

#8 Posted by CornBREDX (4820 posts) -

Ok so I played the fancy pants adventures online. Interesting concept, and really good animation but the controls are awful. They  will probably fix that though. It's kinda like a mix of Mario and Sonic (leaning more heavily on a sonic influence). Will be interesting to see how it is as a full fledged game.

#9 Posted by karatetron (690 posts) -

Fancy Pants was kind of fun.

#10 Posted by RJPelonia (853 posts) -

Hey, congrats to Brad Borne. Definitely didn't see this coming. In the midst of him working on World 3 and this downloadable release, guy must be working his ass off.

#11 Posted by sharma55 (458 posts) -

Fancy Pants!!!!!

#12 Posted by Zaapp1 (657 posts) -

Making people pay for expansions to free flash games?  Are you sure this isn't an Activision release?

#13 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -

Fancy pants!

#14 Posted by TurboMan (7406 posts) -

what the hell... I remember playing FPA on newgrounds.com like six years ago... 

... weird.

#15 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

Fancy Pants as a PSN/XBLA game is amazing news :D

#16 Posted by Bigsquig (6 posts) -

Why no Wiiware? I get why Warp isn't on wiiware, but the other two should be just fine.

#17 Posted by DeF (4808 posts) -
@Bigsquig said:
" Why no Wiiware? I get why Warp isn't on wiiware, but the other two should be just fine. "
I bet nobody wants to deal with the filesize limit BS like Team Meat is currently doing
#18 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

'Addicting levels'...Jesus, when will America learn that the word is 'Addictive' 0_0

#19 Posted by armaan8014 (5333 posts) -
@Raymayne said:
" 'Addicting levels'...Jesus, when will America learn that the word is 'Addictive' 0_0 "
haha yeah :D
#20 Posted by MattyFTM (14345 posts) -
@Zaapp1 said:
" Making people pay for expansions to free flash games?  Are you sure this isn't an Activision release? "
I'm sure it's not an expansion, it will be a fully fledged new game. And it worked for Meat Boy, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Fancy Pants.
#21 Posted by MacGeorge (177 posts) -

Fancy Pants is fucking AWESOME!
#22 Posted by UberExplodey (928 posts) -

Fuck. Yes. Fancy Pants.

#23 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" @Zaapp1 said:
" Making people pay for expansions to free flash games?  Are you sure this isn't an Activision release? "
I'm sure it's not an expansion, it will be a fully fledged new game. And it worked for Meat Boy, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Fancy Pants. "
People have been throwing around this "expansion to a free flash game" ever since Shank came out. It still slightly confuses me.
#24 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

Flash to Live Arcade games make me very happy.
#25 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

I already saw ads for Fancy Pants while playing Madden today.

#26 Posted by Necrozilla (21 posts) -

Keeping an eye on Warp and Gatling Gears. Don't forget about Microbot (also from EA), which is a twin-stick shooter inside a human body that looks splendid.

#27 Posted by RichieJohn (525 posts) -

So happy about Fancy Pants! Best flash games I've played. He worked on Mirrors Edge 2D for EA and that was great!

#28 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -

Fancy pants was cool when I played it, but that was a long time ago.  Who knows, a console version might be okay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.