EA Announces More Online Service Shutdowns

• 79 results
#51 Posted by cgoodno (172 posts) -
@Bones8677 said:
" Pay extra money to play on the servers that they'll eventually shut down. Great plan EA. >_> "
None of these games involved the need to buy an online pass if you bought it used.  In addition, only people who buy used games from the last year would need to buy an online pass, not people who bought the game new.
#52 Posted by Bones8677 (3360 posts) -
@cgoodno said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" Pay extra money to play on the servers that they'll eventually shut down. Great plan EA. >_> "
None of these games involved the need to buy an online pass if you bought it used.  In addition, only people who buy used games from the last year would need to buy an online pass, not people who bought the game new. "
I know it's for used games, and that these game servers do not have Project 10 Dollar in place. But I still wouldn't put it pass them that they will continue this practice of shutting down servers that used players have to pay to play on. Especially if they continue to move forward with Project 10 Dollar. 

Believe me they'll find any excuse to attach that to all of their future games. The President of EA said it himself that they are focusing on attaching online features to all of their games. Having such features means they can implement Project 10 dollar to all of them.
#53 Posted by cgoodno (172 posts) -
@Bones8677 said:
" @cgoodno said:
" @Bones8677 said:
None of these games involved the need to buy an online pass if you bought it used.  In addition, only people who buy used games from the last year would need to buy an online pass, not people who bought the game new. "
I know it's for used games, and that these game servers do not have Project 10 Dollar in place. But I still wouldn't put it pass them that they will continue this practice of shutting down servers that used players have to pay to play on. Especially if they continue to move forward with Project 10 Dollar.   Believe me they'll find any excuse to attach that to all of their future games. The President of EA said it himself that they are focusing on attaching online features to all of their games. Having such features means they can implement Project 10 dollar to all of them. "
You seem a bit jaded on the topic of EA, perhaps on other companies as well.  I'm just going to wait until they do something wrong before I complain about it, or act like it's what they are doing in the first place.
#54 Posted by Bones8677 (3360 posts) -

, @cgoodno said:

" @Bones8677 said:
" @cgoodno said:
" @Bones8677 said:
I know it's for used games, and that these game servers do not have Project 10 Dollar in place. But I still wouldn't put it pass them that they will continue this practice of shutting down servers that used players have to pay to play on. Especially if they continue to move forward with Project 10 Dollar.   Believe me they'll find any excuse to attach that to all of their future games. The President of EA said it himself that they are focusing on attaching online features to all of their games. Having such features means they can implement Project 10 dollar to all of them. "
You seem a bit jaded on the topic of EA, perhaps on other companies as well.  I'm just going to wait until they do something wrong before I complain about it, or act like it's what they are doing in the first place. "
I'm jaded about Project 10 Dollar, not EA.
#55 Posted by JStaunton (209 posts) -
@GeekDown said:
" Why do they even bother putting multiplayer in so many games? Seems pointless, but I guess this is just another reason why you should never buy sports games. "
Yeah, offline multiplayer in sports games sucks balls...
#56 Posted by Dany (8018 posts) -

why does EA bother having their own online system for games? Just leave it to Microsoft to handle it

#57 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2877 posts) -

Battle for Middle Earth was amazing. I still occasionally pick it up and play it. 

Sad to see the servers shut down...

#58 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8553 posts) -

Maybe it's part of their strategy of keeping everyone up to date with their newest versions of the game.

#59 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3687 posts) -

Well I was never going to get that top 50 NHL 08 thing anyways

#60 Posted by LordAndrew (14588 posts) -
@erstgr: Welcome back. I was worried you had died. No wait. I dont' think "worried" was the right word. I hoped everyone who created you and approved your use died a horrible, horrible death.

Yeah, that's it. Hoping, not worrying.
#61 Posted by LordAndrew (14588 posts) -
@cgoodno said:
" I hope people understand that these closures represent approximately 1% of the current online peek gamers on their servers... "
That won't console those who happen to be among the 1%, or might be among the 1% in the future.
#62 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12630 posts) -

Battle for Middle Earth and sequel are the only titles that catch my eye. From what I remember, both were fairly well made RTS games.

#63 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2729 posts) -

So, the old sports games?
#64 Posted by LordAndrew (14588 posts) -

How many more months do you figure they'll wait before shutting down the online multiplayer in the PS2 version of Madden 11? We're at five months now.

#65 Posted by Kayrack (316 posts) -
@LordAndrew:  Probably not long, they are almost getting to the point where as each new one comes out the old one is shutdown.  I am not a fan of this and really hope they dont start killing some of the other EA titles as I still enjoy picking those up from time to time. I hope they keep them up for a while but things dont look promising.
#66 Posted by KeepThisKoupon (95 posts) -

NOT FIFA 07!!!

#67 Posted by DevWil (974 posts) -

getting upset about this is crazy. 

anybody who likes a sports game enough to play it online will have a version of it that isn't three years old.

#68 Edited by jonnyboy (2867 posts) -

So I guess February 8th will be the last time you gets to see anyone in an England shirt play in the 2008 European Cup, because I sure as fuck don't remember it happening that summer, useless dickheads.

Sometimes I wish we could just send out the virtual squad.

#69 Edited by Adaptor (202 posts) -

Imagine EA paying for a guy that reboots a couple of servers once in a while for a couple of years. Must be a huge expense for them...  If they would just come out and say that they want you to buy the newest version of their sports games at least it would be honest. 

09 and 10 versions of games, really?

#70 Posted by bitcloud (681 posts) -
@TadThuggish And XBL p2p that people pay for is still pathetic. Why would EA pay for servers that no one is using?
#71 Posted by mattymattmatt (70 posts) -

Seems like the normal business decision to me.  I can certainly understand why people would be upset if their game is being shut down, but in the greater picture, these games don't really represent all that much.  If it's an operating loss for the business, then it only makes sense for EA to shut them down.  

#72 Posted by perfectlyretro (7 posts) -

EA might find it surprising for me to rob them of my money. 

No thanks EA. Good luck though.

#73 Edited by WrathOfBanja (370 posts) -

But Round 3 was the good one.... 
Hate you EA.

@Rayfield said:

" YO YOU LIKE DEM ONLINE SPORTS GAMES WE MAKE? WELL PONY UP FOR THE NEW ONE COZ WE JUST BROKE DA ONE YOU GOT YEEEAAHH "

I lol'd
#74 Posted by FireBurger (1536 posts) -

That's such bullshit. Shutting down servers for an '09 game is inexcusable. Two years? 

That's like if IW shut down COD4 servers when MW2 launched. No one would stand for it. I don't play any of these games, but that's fucking garbage.

#75 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

I only bought a copy of Battle for Middle Earth to occasionally pop it in and play with a buddy. 

#76 Posted by damnboyadvance (4172 posts) -

"EA notes specifically that the EA Sports games scheduled for shutdown represent around a mere 1% of activity across all EA titles."

Of course they would say that. I highly doubt that the actual percentage is that low.

Bullshit. I'm writing a well thought out letter to EA, possibly with attached sexually suggestive stick people.

#77 Posted by Enigma_2099 (152 posts) -

Yeah... online play is the future of gaming... just as long as you keep paying for the newest releases. And if you don't, we'll just bash you in the kneecaps...

#78 Posted by KaosAngel (14251 posts) -

...this wouldn't have happened on PC.

#79 Posted by BoomWav (6 posts) -

This screenshot of BFME looks really good!

#80 Posted by ironapollo (13 posts) -

hmmmm

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.