EA in the running for Worst company in America

• 60 results
#1 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

The Consumerist is doing a March Madness style bracket to determine what America's worst company is via user voting. EA made the semifinals.

http://consumerist.com/2012/03/a-round-of-applause-please-for-your-worst-company-in-america-2012-semifinalists.html

Do you think EA is even the worst video game company in America? Considering the amount of hate (justified and unjustified) EA gets, it's probably no surprise EA got nominated. However, it's not something that gets mentioned by mainstream media.

#2 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

They're not worse than AT&T.

#3 Edited by Garfield518 (403 posts) -

Via user voting.

Yeah, we don't want things like facts and actual numbers getting in the way of something called the "Worst Company in America."

#4 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I would have voted Gamestop as the worst.

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7050 posts) -

Comcast has to be among the worst. At one point they had lower customer satisfaction ratings than the IRS. Everything I've heard makes me glad I don't have them.

#6 Posted by Spoonman671 (4558 posts) -

EA is one of my favorite publishers.

#7 Posted by me3639 (1725 posts) -

You obviously dont know where i work, but it's the worst.

#8 Posted by falling_fast (2186 posts) -

@Garfield518 said:

Via user voting.

Yeah, we don't want things like facts and actual numbers getting in the way of something called the "Worst Company in America."

#9 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

#10 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

EA is a great publisher. I applaud them for taking risks this generation with new IP and with their EA Partners program. Overall I think they're currently my favorite of the major publishers.

#11 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@Garfield518 said:

Via user voting.

#12 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

There's no way EA is worse than Comcast.

#13 Posted by Stonyman65 (2591 posts) -

You are all wrong. Comcast wins every time.

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

#14 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

That list is balls. They don't have Clear Channel or News Corporation on there, but they have every retail chain imaginable. But yeah, EA sucks pretty bad

#15 Edited by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

It's not so much 'worst company in America' as much as it is 'most damaging for the end consumer'. They named it weird.

edit: The contest, that is. Not necessarily EA.

#16 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:

EA is a great publisher. I applaud them for taking risks this generation with new IP and with their EA Partners program. Overall I think they're currently my favorite of the major publishers.

I don't necessarily agree with a lot of things they've done, but they deserve props for the EA Partners program and bringing out some of my favorite IPs this generation. Mirrors Edge and Dead Space have been some of my favorite games of all time. EA Partners brought me Shadows of the Damned, Crysis, Rock Band and Bulletstorm.

#17 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Comcast should win.

I have no beef with Walmart, Target or UPS.

#18 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6986 posts) -

I don't get the EA hate. 

Ticketmaster should still be in the running, because fuck they're awful.

#19 Posted by Jrad (621 posts) -

Activision has taken up the mantle of 'worst videogame publisher' for a while now, but EA held the crown for years and years, especially amongst PC gamers. I don't think I can forgive EA for doing what they did to Spore, or for their horrid foray into the digital distribution world. Publishers don't deserve any sort of brand loyalty or admiration; they are never responsible for directly improving a game, and their utter focus on the bottom-line holds us back. The completely ridiculous preorder bonuses and Razer Mass Effect tie-in promotions are evidence enough.

#20 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

It's not so much 'worst company in America' as much as it is 'most damaging for the end consumer'. They named it weird. edit: The contest, that is. Not necessarily EA.

Yeah, I should have made that clear. You wouldn't think of Facebook as the worst company, but all those privacy changes probably annoyed a lot of consumers.

#21 Edited by Turambar (6675 posts) -

How did Charter get up there but not Comcast? 

Edit: Nevermind, it was just on the other side. 

#22 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

@Turambar: They're both on there.

#23 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Its a bias poll, also the USPS is not a company.

#24 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

Comcast has to be among the worst. At one point they had lower customer satisfaction ratings than the IRS. Everything I've heard makes me glad I don't have them.

i have them.

I WANT THEM TO FUCKING DIE

#25 Posted by Slag (4001 posts) -

EA ain't great but it certainly isn't nearly the worst company in America.

#26 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Its a bias poll, also the USPS is not a company.

Technically it's not a business, but it certainly operates just like a business, with a CEO called the postmaster general.

#27 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

EA is the boogeyman. I wouldn't trust a user voted poll about most businesses.

#28 Posted by snowninja845 (43 posts) -

why do i not see activision on there?

#29 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

dumb poll on a dumb blog.

#30 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

Cannot it be not a double winner? Both Comcast and EA? I hate them both equally :D

#31 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

EA is bad, but Activision is easily worse. Have been for years. That doesn't change just because they've been more low-key of late.

#32 Edited by Rohok (553 posts) -

Wow, people actually saying EA is their favorite video game publishing company?

People sure are drinking the milk quite a lot these days. I really feel bad for those people. I just really feel bad for them.

#33 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Ctrl F. "Monsanto". 0 of 0. Your list is broken.

#34 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Activision is definitely worse as a company, EA just has more recent controversies.

Also, I was amused by all the people that were shocked that a company called The Consumerist is using consumer opinion.

#35 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

@Rohok said:

Wow, people actually saying EA is their favorite video game publishing company?

People sure are drinking the milk quite a lot these days. I really feel bad for those people. I just really feel bad for them.

You feel bad for them because they enjoy EA's games?

#36 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

I don't hate them as much as I used to. Not a fan of them buying companies and ruining them, but other than that they're ok.

#37 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

Why is Netflix there!?

#38 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

I think EA has mainly been nominated because of the ME 3 ending debacle...

#39 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

@Morrow said:

That wasthe exact thing I was about to say. This feel like yet another backlash against Mass Effect 3. Nerd unite and lash out on that that they hate the most at the moment.

#40 Posted by Andorski (5190 posts) -

There not even the worst game publisher in America, much less the worst company in America. Other than letting Blizzard run autonomously, Activision has done a far worse job of destroying franchises (Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero), milking franchises (focus on yearly releases), and terrible treatment of employees (firing the heads of Infinity Ward). The difference between EA and Activision is that EA has way more franchises the gaming community cares about, so it's a lot more noticeable when they mess up.

#41 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

EA is pretty anti-consumer and hates their employees just as much as the next guy but their evil isn't as widespread as Comcast or AT&T.

#42 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

#43 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

@Dogma said:

@Morrow said:

That was the exact thing I was about to say. This feel like yet another backlash against Mass Effect 3. Nerd unite and lash out on that that they hate the most at the moment.

Well, people are impulsive...

#44 Posted by tescovee (352 posts) -

Wow, how in the fuck can EA even be compared to most of the names on that list. Thats odd that Apple is on there too...I'm not an Apple person but all I hear is "apple is so great!!11!" *slurp* *slurp*. Comcrap, AT&T, Wal-Mart, Ticketmaster and BoA are so much worse, especially on the consumer side.

#45 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@Morrow said:

It doesn't help, but it's certainly not their only problem. Their constant rehashes, overpriced DLC, horrible DRM and general anti-consumer attitude is pretty appalling. Not to mention their renown for buying up developers, only to either completely destroy them or outright shut them down, doesn't help. Bioware is already a shell of its former shelf, it's only a matter of time before they're disbanded or the original creators just walk.

They're not the worst company in the US, but they're easily the worst videogame publisher out there, so the rage against them seems pretty justified. Just look at what they're doing to Sim City.

#46 Edited by Cynical_Gamer (97 posts) -

There are a lot of shitty companies in the US, and EA is one of them. EA ruins every game studio they buy out. My hate for EA stems back to my early PC gaming days when they bought out studios such as Bullfrog and Origin Systems and ran them into the ground. The casual dudebro gamers these days will never understand and continue to give them money.

#47 Posted by skyline7284 (503 posts) -
#48 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1086 posts) -

Not even close. There isn't a single video game company that I would consider in a list of the worst.

#49 Posted by Hailinel (23891 posts) -

EA? Where the fuck is Activision?

#50 Posted by Dalai (6996 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

EA? Where the fuck is Activision?

The list implies that Activision is the worst company in America. This is really just for 2nd place.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.