EA Reveals Lineup For Fiscal 2011

• 130 results
Posted by Jeff (3662 posts) -
Electronic Arts did a bit of financial reporting this morning for the third quarter of its current fiscal year, which translates into "Q4 2009" in man years. The past performance bit of the release isn't all that exciting, as it really only tells you things like "hey, Dragon Age: Origins did A-OK" or something like that. But the look ahead at the future--even though it's accompanied by a fat "this list is subject to change" warning--is a bit more interesting.

Some notes:

- Keep in mind that, again, they're talking in businessman-speak for this stuff, so Fiscal Q1 2011 actually means Q2 2010, which begins on April 1.

- That means we can expect to see Medal of Honor sometime between July and September.

- Crysis 2 is scheduled to hit sometime in the fourth quarter of 2010.

- There are two unnamed Need For Speed games on the schedule, one for Q4 2010 and another for Q1 2011. The Q4 2010 game is Criterion's, while the 2011 release is a simulation-oriented game. Shift 2, perhaps?

- There's a new Dragon Age release due during the first quarter of 2011. Think that'll be an all-new sequel, or something more like the expansion pack already planned for release this March?

- "Shooter from Epic TBA" pretty much has to be the game from People Can Fly that EA announced as an EA Partners deal awhile back.

- Dead Space 2 is listed as coming to both console and handheld, but EA counts phones in the "handheld" category. My guess is that this is an iPhone game, not a DS/PSP release.

- While you might see "Fighting Title TBA" and think that EA's making, like, a fighting game, keep in mind that it's tagged as coming from the EA Sports label. Maybe a new Fight Night? It'd be way too soon for an MMA sequel, since that's due out during the previous quarter.

- Battlefield 3 isn't specifically mentioned anywhere on this list. The closest thing on here that fits is "Action Title TBA" on Q1 2011 (Q4, fiscal), but that footnote pegs it as a downloadable game, not a full release. Maybe BF3 is further out than I thought? Considering DICE is already working on a game that ships in Q3 of this year (Medal of Honor), I guess it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that BF3's not mentioned here.

- Though not on the list, the call also brought word that something "far-reaching" from the Mass Effect universe was in the works. That sounds like more than just a sequel to me.
#1 Posted by Jeff (3662 posts) -
Electronic Arts did a bit of financial reporting this morning for the third quarter of its current fiscal year, which translates into "Q4 2009" in man years. The past performance bit of the release isn't all that exciting, as it really only tells you things like "hey, Dragon Age: Origins did A-OK" or something like that. But the look ahead at the future--even though it's accompanied by a fat "this list is subject to change" warning--is a bit more interesting.

Some notes:

- Keep in mind that, again, they're talking in businessman-speak for this stuff, so Fiscal Q1 2011 actually means Q2 2010, which begins on April 1.

- That means we can expect to see Medal of Honor sometime between July and September.

- Crysis 2 is scheduled to hit sometime in the fourth quarter of 2010.

- There are two unnamed Need For Speed games on the schedule, one for Q4 2010 and another for Q1 2011. The Q4 2010 game is Criterion's, while the 2011 release is a simulation-oriented game. Shift 2, perhaps?

- There's a new Dragon Age release due during the first quarter of 2011. Think that'll be an all-new sequel, or something more like the expansion pack already planned for release this March?

- "Shooter from Epic TBA" pretty much has to be the game from People Can Fly that EA announced as an EA Partners deal awhile back.

- Dead Space 2 is listed as coming to both console and handheld, but EA counts phones in the "handheld" category. My guess is that this is an iPhone game, not a DS/PSP release.

- While you might see "Fighting Title TBA" and think that EA's making, like, a fighting game, keep in mind that it's tagged as coming from the EA Sports label. Maybe a new Fight Night? It'd be way too soon for an MMA sequel, since that's due out during the previous quarter.

- Battlefield 3 isn't specifically mentioned anywhere on this list. The closest thing on here that fits is "Action Title TBA" on Q1 2011 (Q4, fiscal), but that footnote pegs it as a downloadable game, not a full release. Maybe BF3 is further out than I thought? Considering DICE is already working on a game that ships in Q3 of this year (Medal of Honor), I guess it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that BF3's not mentioned here.

- Though not on the list, the call also brought word that something "far-reaching" from the Mass Effect universe was in the works. That sounds like more than just a sequel to me.
#2 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -

Sims 3  on console? Has potential.

#3 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

Where did this come from?

#4 Posted by mracoon (4978 posts) -

I wonder what the TBA title at the end of Q3 is. Guess we'll probably find out at E3.

#5 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

Dead Space 2 on an iPhone? WHY?
#6 Posted by Mijati (949 posts) -

What's "DTC Game"?

Can't think of anything that could be.

#7 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@mracoon said:
" I wonder what the TBA title at the end of Q3 is. Guess we'll probably find out at E3. "
It seems like the games are broken down into EA Games, EA Sports, and EA Play. The play category seems like dumb casual stuff minus Spore and the Sims. I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything interesting.
#8 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

WHAT DOES "FAR-REACHING" MEAN.

It can't be an MMO and it can't be a sequel so soon.

Spinoff game? Expansion? Do those make you think of "far-reaching?" Because I don't know!

This is gonna drive me crazy until next year, isn't it.

#9 Posted by ThatFrood (3391 posts) -

no pc dead space?
D:

#10 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

Can't wait for this "Dragon Age Title"

#11 Posted by ThatFrood (3391 posts) -

ACTION TITLE!!!!
DUDE
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT GAME FOR FOREVER!

#12 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -

Oh man. Good stuff. Dragon Age, Dead Space, Mass Effect. Me = Happy Camper :)

#13 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS EA LIKES SPORTS
#14 Posted by Adamantium (885 posts) -

Medal of Honor looks promising, Crysis 2 will probably be pretty sweet. It's also about time for me to give the Tiger Woods franchise another spin.

#15 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -
@Rayfield said:
" SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS EA LIKES SPORTS "
Yes they do.
#16 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Hmm no Dead Space 2 for PC?

#17 Posted by Poki3 (529 posts) -

14 sports games over 12 months... uuuurrrrgghhhh....

#18 Edited by lolwot (257 posts) -

deleted

#19 Posted by Lilarcor (213 posts) -

Does anybody know what "DTC Game for Console Online" is?  Aside from that, I wonder what the last TBA game for Q4 is. A GDC/E3 announcement, perhaps? I'm also a little surprised that Dead Space 2 is Q1 2011, I assumed it would be a holiday release.

#20 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Why is the Littlest Pet Shop release so far away. I want my pets little now.

#21 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -

I bet the Mass Effect product mentioned is another iPhone game.

#22 Edited by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 

Where's Mirror's Edge 2?!!!!  Shattered dreams confirmed. 

Also Mass Effect 2 thing will be Multiplayer. 

Also lastly does EA not have the 'cajones' to put MOH up against Treyarch's COD in November?!

#23 Posted by kagekage (704 posts) -

I refuse to buy EA's MMA because I am such a big UFC fanboy :P 
Plus EA pissed off Dana White. YOU DO NOT PISS OFF DANA WHITE.

#24 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -

Odds are they'll go on and off with the MMA and Fight Night Series. One year MMA, the next Fight night.

#25 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

does EA publish the gears of war games? if so, then i'd bet thats what "shooter from epic" is

#26 Posted by KuwabaraTheMan (155 posts) -

Portable Dragon Age would be interesting if it means a DS game. I'm going to bet that the Mass Effect 2 thing is an expansion pack.

#27 Posted by HatKing (6108 posts) -

Maybe a Mass Effect spin off that'll be multiplatform?  I don't really know what else, unless it is just them releasing Mass Effect 1 or 2 on other platforms.  I guess it wouldn't be beyond EA to overhype some DLC.
#28 Posted by solidlife (884 posts) -

gief Dead space 2 please and no dead space 2 for the PC :(

#29 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@NickL said:
" does EA publish the gears of war games? if so, then i'd bet thats what "shooter from epic" is "
microsoft publishes the gears games
#30 Posted by agentboolen (1843 posts) -

@Jeff:  I don't know I would say a PSP Dead Space 2 is highly possible too.  In the end it would most likely be a more respectable game since the iphone sucks for video games.

Also noticed Epic is doing another shooter for them I wonder what its going to be.

#31 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I think they're gonna gather a bit more feedback over BC2 before making many concrete plans for BF3.

#32 Posted by Milkman (17312 posts) -

Action Title TBA?

GET HYPE!

#33 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" I think they're gonna gather a bit more feedback over BC2 before making many concrete plans for BF3. "
They have confirmed it's definitely coming. At the same time, though, a DICE employee said that BC2's sales performance on PC could somehow shape their future PC plans. Who knows...
#34 Edited by fallen_elite (380 posts) -

Why no Dead Space 2 for PC? Were sales that bad?

:(

#35 Posted by shades846 (158 posts) -

Yes I love football(soccer) but really EA you need three FIFA games in less than a year? Why could you not just release  DLC with world cup stadiums and some teams that did not make the last game (read Honduras) it as much as they will do for the full game. It also would not be 30 pounds ($50) or more as well.

#36 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@FireBurger said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" I think they're gonna gather a bit more feedback over BC2 before making many concrete plans for BF3. "
They have confirmed it's definitely coming. At the same time, though, a DICE employee said that BC2's sales performance on PC could somehow shape their future PC plans. Who knows... "
Of course it's coming. That's not what I meant. I was talking about gameplay features, and I don't just mean prone.
#37 Posted by dietmango (1665 posts) -
@fallen_elite said:
" Why no Dead Space 2 for PC? Were sales that bad?  :( "
Unfortunately, yeah. From what I heard before, I think the poor sales were one of the reasons why they're skeptical about making it for the PC.
#38 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" @FireBurger said:
" @MrKlorox said:
They have confirmed it's definitely coming. At the same time, though, a DICE employee said that BC2's sales performance on PC could somehow shape their future PC plans. Who knows... "
Of course it's coming. That's not what I meant. I was talking about gameplay features, and I don't just mean prone. "
Oh, I misunderstood. As far as gameplay goes, I can only hope they take the good things of BC (destructibility) and wrap it around a framework more similar to BF2.
#39 Posted by ClownDetective (142 posts) -
@Cheapoz said:
" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  Where's Mirror's Edge 2?!!!!  Shattered dreams confirmed. 

Exactly. Another great ip left to die.
#40 Posted by dietmango (1665 posts) -

That's a lot of sports games. The only ones I'm looking forward to on this list is Dead Space 2 and Skate 3. I might be interested in APB and Medal of Honor. We'll see how that goes.

#41 Posted by CowsWithGuns (216 posts) -

I hope that sims 3 on console will  be a good one. 

#42 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -
@ClownDetective said:
" @Cheapoz said:
" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  Where's Mirror's Edge 2?!!!!  Shattered dreams confirmed. 

Exactly. Another great ip left to die. "
Hold me.
#43 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

From what I can tell, EA has been doing fairly well in the iPhone market, so expect to see more of those.

#44 Edited by Myrmidon (547 posts) -

I would like to think that EA are not stupid enough to mess around with Dragon Age for at least two years, regarding a full fledged sequel. RPG's in the same vein have always been the subject of cult following and so far Bioware look like they are taking all the right steps towards achieving this with Dragon Age - by offering expansions and small content packs (I'm talking DLC, but also remember the packs for Neverwinter Nights? Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, etc), they will draw more people to the game and offer fans more play time, whilst keeping it all firmly under the name Dragon Age: Origins, rather than Dragon Age 2: Somewhere in the Middle, which is exactly what you don't want to do - divide your audience. A little like CS 1.6 & CS:S. 

Plus a full game under exactly the same software, which is what this will be if it's a full release in less than a year, will just make it more like Fable, a textbook example of what-not-to-do-with-an-RPG-if-you-don't-want-it-to-be-shitism. 

But perhaps I'm giving EA too much credit. Who knows.

#45 Posted by Parsnip (1116 posts) -

It will be a Mass Effect MMO.

Also, Dead Space 2 not for PC? Boo.

#46 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Not sure why they're being coy about what is clearly Gears of War 3 in Q4.

#47 Posted by TheHT (11777 posts) -

That image is so cold and businessy. D:

VIDEO GAMES ARE MAGICAL!!

#48 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame
The only thing that can renew my interest in this is if that Monopoly game is online and for XBLA

#49 Posted by Danterion (159 posts) -

No Dead Space 2 on the PC? Curse you, EA.

#50 Posted by xyzygy (10077 posts) -

Making a Dragon Age game for handhelds is kind of... I dunno... weird. I hope that EA doesn't mess up that franchise by releasing them too quick so they're poorly made. A year in between games may not leave room for much polish, especially now that handheld development is involved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.