EA will delete your games if Origin goes unused for 2 years.

• 90 results
#51 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

So? Log in just one time during those two years and it'll be fine. *looks around' ... oh wait, sorry, I now realized how awfully hard that must be for some of the people around here.

I have plenty of games that I haven't played in 2 years. If that happens to be the games I have on EADM/Origin, I lose those games? There's nothing consumer-friendly about that when Valve has no similar stipulation.

#52 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -
If you have not used your Entitlements or Account for twenty four (24) months or more and your Account has associated Entitlements, your Entitlements will expire and your Account may be cancelled for non-use.

Or. May. Who here understands what those words mean? You don't have to use every game you have linked to it, just use the account in any fashion whatsoever once during a two year period and you are fine. I'm not defending Origin because frankly I don't plan to use it at all, but some people here fail at reading comprehension and are trying to sensationalize stuff way too much.

And if spending less than thirty seconds to log in to a service once during a two year period is asking too much of you, well, you have other problems. Holy hell.

#53 Posted by Jeffsekai (7017 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

2 years is a pretty long time, just sayin.

I know right lol, what are you doing where this is actually an issue.

#54 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

Ha! Whatta bunch of pricks.

#55 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:

@Aronman789 said:

You're saying you play all your game at least once every two years?

I know it says "may" but still. It's pretty ludicrous.
#56 Edited by Eribuster (472 posts) -
@Azteck: It doesn't have to be all the games. It just has to be an EA game. So, if you play at least one EA game (online) every two years, then your EA/Origin account won't be deactivated for non-use.
#57 Posted by Jeffsekai (7017 posts) -

@Azteck said:

@Jeffsekai said:

@Aronman789 said:

You're saying you play all your game at least once every two years? I know it says "may" but still. It's pretty ludicrous.

I'm saying I log into xbox live or steam once a year.

#58 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

@GuyIncognito said:

@roughneck117 said:

Found this on Reddit. Hopefully this isnt true, but it looks pretty real, and if it is, its a fucking dick move of epic proportion.

So as I understand it, if you dont log into Origin for 2 years, the account gets deleted, and you cant get it back. Can anyone back me up or correct me if im wrong?? Anyone bitten by a radioactive lawyer recently??

I'm not a lawyer, but if it's true, then the only suitable retaliation -- after having your content taken away -- is bittorrent.

People like you... Urgh, the nerve! There are better solutions than bittorrent, like direct downloads or usenet :P

Pirating is a bad idea in general (for all sorts of reasons, not all of them simply about respecting intellectual property), but I cannot fathom people using Bittorrent for it. It's so damned easy to track. It's like robbing a bank and flashing your driver's license to everyone in the room as you're doing it. And now that media companies are sending out legal notices via ISPs regarding copyrighted material on torrents ... just a matter of time, guys.
#59 Posted by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

Hey guess what? The internet is still incapable of making a non-kneejerk reaction to something somebody interpreted for them with an intentional spin.

#60 Posted by roughneck117 (185 posts) -

@MrKlorox: Follow the link. Then interpret it for me. Seriously. If I made any mistake with the interpretation, correct me. I have no problem with having a mistake or misconception corrected.

#61 Posted by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -
@roughneck117: Others have pretty much covered it. The use of "may" instead of "will"; the use of "or" implying you could just play a game online from the EA account that's tied to your Origin account (even from consoles); the difference between cancellation and deletion. That type of stuff.

People seem to want to interpret it as "if you don't log in to Origin and launch each game from it within a period of two years of the last time, EA will delete everything you have tied to your account, and there will be no way to recover it" when that's just not it.
#62 Posted by Mesklinite (803 posts) -

@VilhelmNielsen said:

Were anyone planning on using Origin anyway?

Nope. This seals the issue.

#63 Edited by AuthenticM (3672 posts) -

Solution: buy your games on discs.

#64 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@ZeForgotten said:

So? Log in just one time during those two years and it'll be fine. *looks around' ... oh wait, sorry, I now realized how awfully hard that must be for some of the people around here.

I have plenty of games that I haven't played in 2 years. If that happens to be the games I have on EADM/Origin, I lose those games? There's nothing consumer-friendly about that when Valve has no similar stipulation.

Sucks to be you then. I just took all my EA games that I bought on steam and added them to origin, so now I don't even have to launch a silly client to run the games. So at least I'll be using it a lot and this won't happen to me. Still can't see what's so hard about just opening Origin and log in for a second or two and log out again but I guess that's just me

#65 Posted by tourgen (4236 posts) -

they distinguish between Content and Entitlements. That's weird. Then they talk about redeeming entitlements. Whatever. Not worth my time or money to bother figuring out and using it.

Pretty much have sworn off EA anyway because of their buggy DRM. I can just rent the next mass effect.

#66 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@ajamafalous said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Sucks to be you then. I just took all my EA games that I bought on steam and added them to origin, so now I don't even have to launch a silly client to run the games. So at least I'll be using it a lot and this won't happen to me. Still can't see what's so hard about just opening Origin and log in for a second or two and log out again but I guess that's just me

Because, like I said, there's no reason for me to put myself in that situation when Valve has no similar stipulation.

Having to "launch a silly client to run the games" isn't an issue for me because I literally always have Steam open if my computer is on.

#67 Edited by Eribuster (472 posts) -
@mesklinite said:

@VilhelmNielsen said:

Were anyone planning on using Origin anyway?

Nope. This seals the issue.

True. The retail editions of EA games offer a disc check or an online (Origin) check. The online check is so much more convenient. I would imagine going forward that the disc check won't be offered any more. @tourgen said:

they distinguish between Content and Entitlements. That's weird. Then they talk about redeeming entitlements. Whatever. Not worth my time or money to bother figuring out and using it.

Pretty much have sworn off EA anyway because of their buggy DRM. I can just rent the next mass effect.

Recently, EA's DRM haven't been much of a problem. Their game servers are a different story. 
Also, if you took a few seconds to scroll up, the terms of service define "content" and "entitlements". To be blunt, "content" is content and "entitlements" are licenses to the content. 

2.   Content  

"Content" on EA Services includes software, technology, text, forum posts, chat posts, profiles, widgets, messages, links, emails, music, sound, graphics, pictures, video, code, and all audio visual or other material appearing on or emanating to and/or from EA Services, as well as the design and appearance of our websites.  All Content--with the exception of third party content discussed below in Section 6, is owned by EA or its affiliates, subsidiaries, licensors or suppliers.  Content includes user- generated Content ("UGC").  EA Content and UGC collectively shall be referred to as "Content."  EA does not pre-screen all UGC and does not endorse, approve, or prescreen any UGC that you and other users may contribute to EA Services.  You bear the entire risk of the completeness, accuracy or usefulness of Content found on EA Services.   

EA reserves the right (but has no obligation) to remove, block, edit, move or disable UGC that is objectionable to us for any reason.  The decision to remove UGC or other Content at any time is in EA's sole and final discretion.  To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, EA does not assume any responsibility or liability for UGC or for any failure to or delay in removing UGC or other Content.   

You are solely responsible for your UGC and may be held liable for UGC that you post.   

3.   Entitlements

"Entitlements" are licensed rights granted, awarded, provided and/or purchased by you to access and/or use online or off-line elements or features of EA Services and/or products.  Entitlements include but are not limited to paid and free downloadable content, unlockable content, digital and/or virtual assets, rights of use tied to unlock keys or codes, serial codes and/or online authentication of any kind, in-game achievements and virtual or fictional currency not otherwise governed by a Digital Services Agreement.
#68 Posted by McShank (1628 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@GuyIncognito said:

@roughneck117 said:

Found this on Reddit. Hopefully this isnt true, but it looks pretty real, and if it is, its a fucking dick move of epic proportion.

So as I understand it, if you dont log into Origin for 2 years, the account gets deleted, and you cant get it back. Can anyone back me up or correct me if im wrong?? Anyone bitten by a radioactive lawyer recently??

I'm not a lawyer, but if it's true, then the only suitable retaliation -- after having your content taken away -- is bittorrent.

People like you... Urgh, the nerve! There are better solutions than bittorrent, like direct downloads or usenet :P

Demonoid... if you can get a invite but thats not to hard.. But for EA to delete an account and everything on it after 2 years of innactivity is stupid. When i first got CS i played it for like a month then dropped it for a good 3 years, not using steam at all for anything. I came back to it a few years ago and they still had it after all that time and ever since i have given them everything my wallet can spare in thanks for how awesome they are.. why cant EA learn from other's for once?

#69 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

But will they keep your credit card information? 

The answer is ALL OF IT.

#70 Posted by l4wd0g (1819 posts) -

You mean the company that is selling online passes while turning off online servers?

#71 Posted by CrimsonNoir (391 posts) -
@Napalm said:
@CrimsonNoir: BUT WHAT ABOUT IN MY HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO I HYPOTHETICALLY DID SOMETHING HYPOTHETICAL THAT HYPOTHETICALLY HAS NO HYPOTHETIC EFFECT ON ME. HYPOTHETICALLY.
yea, being an asshole sure added a lot to this conversation.
#72 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

If you haven't used your Origins account for two years you will probably never use it again.

#73 Posted by Asurastrike (2151 posts) -

How does Valve get it so right with Steam, and companies like EA and Microsoft get it so wrong with GFWL and Origin?

#74 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

I'm not surprised.  Companies will ream you if you give them the chance and it seems a lot of folks make excuses or don't mind. 

#75 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2343 posts) -

This whole thing just seems ridiculous. I can't think of any good reason to put that feature in.

#76 Posted by fullmetal5550 (345 posts) -

If someone does not use their Origin account for two years it has most likely been abandoned. Two years is a fair amount of time in my opinion to let an account be inactive.

#77 Posted by Nux (2210 posts) -

Oh EA you wacky guys you.

#78 Posted by Gamer_152 (13975 posts) -

It's important to note that they say that they may cancel your account, not that they will, there's plenty of evil things companies may do under their ToS, and that stuff is really only there for legal technicalities. The bit that I find kinda weird about this is that they don't say that your entitlements may expire, they say that your entitlements will expire. Oh and to those saying it's not hard to log on every two years, you're right, but EA still shouldn't be able to take away all your stuff for you not doing so. I hope they revise their ToS on this one or at very least make it clear to customers that there's an account expiry time.

#79 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

The people saying they don't plan on ever using Origin are likely going to have to at some point or another if they want to buy certain content.  It's not hard to extrapolate that the real reason for Origin existing is so EA can eventually release DLC for their games exclusively on their own service (which is, also speculatively, the reason for EA taking certain games of theirs off of Steam and not planning to release certain others on Steam at all, such as BF3 - Origin would allow them to release DLC on their own service for games bought through Steam, which Valve no doubt didn't like one bit), with the games having been mandatorily tied to your Origin account regardless of where you bought them.

#80 Posted by Tebbit (4435 posts) -

Sure, it sounds terrible, but as others have said... 2 years is an incredibly long time to purchase and then not play a game.

It's still some BS, and needless jerk-ism, but it really isn't going to affect 99.99% of people.

#81 Posted by DystopiaX (5241 posts) -

Other than the 2 years thing, it's standard internet contract shit, it's not like other companies don't put equally retarded things in these contracts; just that no one wants to look for the dumb shit like they do for Origin because they've already decided they hated it and need a reason...if you don't play any games on your account for 2 years you probably don't give much of a shit, and the rest is standard BS.

#82 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -

That is kinda sucky but given the fact that EA are really pushing Origin into people's faces (and the fact that they've got a lot of companies under their belt) it's very likely that you'll end up buying at least one of their games each year and use Origin in the process. It's inevitable really, but having said that, I'm sticking to Steam since they can do things "better".

#83 Edited by spparrtaan117 (1 posts) -
#84 Posted by BoG (5178 posts) -

This is lame. If Valve had the same policy, I would have already lost all of my games on Steam, and Valve would have lost a customer. Now that I'm gaming again, I regularly purchase games on Steam. In fact, it's my preferred way to buy games. I wasn't planning on ever using Origin, unless forced to, so I guess this isn't a big deal for me. However, if they force me to get Origin to play SimCity, and I somehow lose my game after not playing it for a while, I'll be angry. They had better put SimCity on Steam.

#85 Posted by spiceninja (3052 posts) -

If you don't use Origin for 2 years then you probably don't care if it gets deleted.

#86 Posted by TheHumanDove (2396 posts) -

@spparrtaan117 said:

I read the Origin FAQ and found this.

this is a direct copy from

http://www.origin.com/faq

hope this helps

Definitely worth bumping a topic over a year old

#87 Posted by JasonR86 (9379 posts) -

That's fucking terrible. I'm already bound and determined to not use Origin because of the redownloading hassle. Now I'm even more determined not to.

#88 Posted by believer258 (11046 posts) -

BEFORE YOU GUYS GO FUCKING NUTS, read this:

#89 Posted by Freshbandito (611 posts) -

someone bumps a topic over a year old to show that the threat is not that actual people's accounts will be deleted and other people ignore the bump post and jump on the 'Fuck EA!' train...

#90 Posted by falling_fast (2144 posts) -

well, I wasn't going to use their shitty service, anyway :/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.