Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Electronic Arts

Company »

EA is one of the largest publisher/developers in the video game industry.

EA's Gibeau Thinks The Offline Game Model Is 'Finished'

• 161 results
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By Gaff
    @Vodun
    @trophyhunter said:
    " I hope he gets hit by a car under mysterious circumstances, like other video game officials I know. "
    Dude, too soon and seriously fuck you.
    I assume you're referring to the Relic employee, the married man and father-to-be, who died while trying to save his wife and unborn child from a reckless, high and drunk driver a couple of months ago, right?

Well, some people have a terrible memory. I hope.
    Avatar image for killergrapefruit
    killergrapefruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Frank Gibeau, why are you so wrong?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#153  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Vodun said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" I hope he gets hit by a car under mysterious circumstances, like other video game officials I know. "
    Dude, too soon and seriously fuck you. "
    I actually meant Gunpei Yokoi.
    I totally forgot there was a more recent one.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Gaff said:

" @Vodun

@trophyhunter said:
    I assume you're referring to the Relic employee, the married man and father-to-be, who died while trying to save his wife and unborn child from a reckless, high and drunk driver a couple of months ago, right? Well, some people have a terrible memory. I hope. "
    Actually I meant Gunpei Yokoi
    I forgot about the relic guy
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#155  Edited By Skald
    @trophyhunter said:

" @Vodun said:

" @trophyhunter said:

I actually meant Gunpei Yokoi. I totally forgot there was a more recent one. "
    Fuck you anyway. Brad's article is a bit ambiguous, but the first thing he says in the linked article is this:

Well, it’s not only about multiplayer, it’s about being connected. I firmly believe that the way the products we have are going they, need to be connected online. Multiplayer is one form of that.     

That means it could be cooperative play, a service like Cerberus Network or even posting high scores on Twitter. Would that really ruin your video games?

But of course you wouldn't read the article. You're the kind of person who wants people to be hit by cars.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By trophyhunter
    @extremeradical said:
    " @trophyhunter said:

" @Vodun said:

" @trophyhunter said:

Fuck you anyway. Brad's article is a bit ambiguous, but the first thing he says in the linked article is this:

Well, it’s not only about multiplayer, it’s about being connected. I firmly believe that the way the products we have are going they, need to be connected online. Multiplayer is one form of that.     

That means it could be cooperative play, a service like Cerberus Network or even posting high scores on Twitter. Would that really ruin your video games? But of course you wouldn't read the article. You're the kind of person who wants people to be hit by cars. "
    Were you hit by a car?
    You seem very touchy on the subject.
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Gaff
    @trophyhunter
    @Gaff said:

" @Vodun

@trophyhunter said:
    I assume you're referring to the Relic employee, the married man and father-to-be, who died while trying to save his wife and unborn child from a reckless, high and drunk driver a couple of months ago, right? Well, some people have a terrible memory. I hope. "
    Actually I meant Gunpei Yokoi
    I forgot about the relic guy
    What did the creator of Game & Watch, R.O.B. and the Game Boy, not to mention producer of Kid Icarus and Metroid, aside from being a key Nintendo employee, ever do to you?
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Gaff

What did the creator of Game & Watch, R.O.B. and the Game Boy, not to mention producer of Kid Icarus and Metroid, aside from being a key Nintendo employee, ever do to you?

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Vodun
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " @trophyhunter said:

" @Vodun said:

" @trophyhunter said:

That means it could be cooperative play, a service like Cerberus Network or even posting high scores on Twitter. Would that really ruin your video games? But of course you wouldn't read the article. You're the kind of person who wants people to be hit by cars. "
    Were you hit by a car? You seem very touchy on the subject. "
    Oh wow, you really should realize you've made an ass of yourself and move on. You're in an already deep hole, why do you keep digging?
    StickyMicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By StickyMicky

LOL @ the 25 hour thing. 

JBWB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#161  Edited By JBWB

Mr. Gibeau isn't really saying anything new. DLC for solid games is a way to optimize how much money they can squeeze out of fans of the series. Multiplayer is not only a means of extending the perceived 'value' of a purchase, but also a means of increasing the likelihood that players still engrossed will spend more capital on downloadable content, or get friends to buy the game and extend the market further. That doesn't decrease the value of single-player, or offline play. Neither does it exclude different models that rely on more social connective media experiences (and when he starts mentioning 'online innovation', he's painting with ambiguous broad strokes).

I'm sure Mr. Gibeau would love to minimize dev. costs while maximizing the perceived life and income stream of a particular title - and I'm sure he's hard at work figuring out different models just for that purpose (he's already decreased EA's operating costs...and revenue..but maybe that will change).  Whether he can convince his talent to follow his lead is another question. Especially when his model appears to be to give devs. limited creative autonomy so long as they subscribe to his own inputs when it comes to commercial opportunity. Sounds wishy-washy to me: either new models are built from the ground up that meet his online, innovative, action-filled requirements, or the current DLC model just keeps getting tacked on like usual. EA's financials will tell the story.

Anyway...kudos to the author for picking out the one single quote (for the headline) from the original article guaranteed to cause irrational panic in skim readers. Very slick.

Xtacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Xtacles

I never ever pay attention to the whole article or look at the source, and I sure as sure never read comments. Who knows, someone may have picked up on something I missed WHO KNOWS! But the point is, most games are connected in some way Online, chill out. 

The sky isn't falling yet.

Elusionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#163  Edited By Elusionar

Online is where the easy money is. I gess that why EA wants to kill evryting else. 

Long lives micro-transactions, noting like paying 60$ for half a game and 60$ more over a year or two for the other half. 

Long live network service fees! 

p.s. This comment might be slightly subjective du to the fact that EA is in my shit list and as bin for the last 6-7 years or so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.