Electronic Arts Joins Steam

• 70 results
Posted by Jeff (3336 posts) -
Yeah, this thing.
EA was always one of the big, noticeable holdouts on Valve's totally boss digital distribution service, Steam. So it's still kind of crazy to see that the publisher has finally signed on and has made a portion of its recent catalog available on the service.

At the moment, the following games are available:

PC versions of Mirror's Edge, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3, and Dead Space are all coming soon.

If you've listened to the podcast, you've probably heard stories about EA's own online store, which does a bunch of goofy stuff like charging you if you want to be able to redownload your purchased games for an extended period of time. That's bad. Steam? Steam's pretty good. So it's good to see another viable digital alternatives for the EA catalog.

It'll be interesting to see if EA sticks with the new stuff or starts mining its back catalog by releasing XP/Vista-friendly versions of some of its old DOS games.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3336 posts) -
Yeah, this thing.
EA was always one of the big, noticeable holdouts on Valve's totally boss digital distribution service, Steam. So it's still kind of crazy to see that the publisher has finally signed on and has made a portion of its recent catalog available on the service.

At the moment, the following games are available:

PC versions of Mirror's Edge, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3, and Dead Space are all coming soon.

If you've listened to the podcast, you've probably heard stories about EA's own online store, which does a bunch of goofy stuff like charging you if you want to be able to redownload your purchased games for an extended period of time. That's bad. Steam? Steam's pretty good. So it's good to see another viable digital alternatives for the EA catalog.

It'll be interesting to see if EA sticks with the new stuff or starts mining its back catalog by releasing XP/Vista-friendly versions of some of its old DOS games.
Staff
#2 Edited by SuperMooseman (358 posts) -

Good to see EA getting into the swing of things.
EDIT: However, they don't "appear in my region" (UK). Lame.

#3 Posted by RoboRobb (1051 posts) -

Steam is awesome... Such a good service, I like it better than Live :)

#4 Posted by TomA (2532 posts) -

Thank gosh,i've been waiting for this ever since i got my new PC.

#5 Posted by Colonel_Cool (808 posts) -

Now we wait for MS to realize than Live sucks and join Steam too.

#6 Posted by lordofultima (6184 posts) -

This is monumental! Huzzah!

#7 Edited by deaux (233 posts) -
#8 Posted by Agent_Lost (899 posts) -

That a great thing that the PC is getting a some sort uniform platform. Oh and also, how long will we wait until they releases the Need for Speed super pack.

#9 Posted by Gargantuan (1877 posts) -

No support for europe AND 1 USD=1 Euro. Valve apparantly hates europe now.

#10 Posted by thedeusmachine (39 posts) -

Too bad this didn't happen before when I downloaded Spore from EA download service.  Ah well, I don't think I'll be wanting to redownload that game anytime soon anyways.

#11 Posted by PapaLazarou (712 posts) -

NA only sucks

#12 Posted by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -
SuperMooseman said:
"Good to see EA getting into the swing of things.
EDIT: However, they don't "appear in my region" (UK). Lame."
At the moment they're only available in north america. I'm sure expanding to other regions is on the agenda though (or at least I hope).
#13 Posted by Caddy (308 posts) -

I am glad to hear it. Steam is a great service and it only made sense that EA would join it, eventually.

#14 Posted by AndrewB (7190 posts) -

As I've said elsewhere, this is both good and bad. It would be awesome to eventually have every video game attainable through one central download service, though it seems like a bad idea overall to have just one service in charge with all that power.

I think if it ever *is* going to happen, then Steam is the best service out there currently. It's easy to use, has had extensive testing and bug removal, has excellent uptime (especially with the sheer bandwidth being thrown at its servers), includes community features, forums, an IM chat service a-la Xbox Live or X-Fire; basically everything you need from a digital game distributor. They also do what other digital distribution methods haven't done so well, from what I've seen, and offer price cuts generally in line with retail prices and specific sales. And, for the moment at least, Steam doesn't force you to pay an additional $5 for "insurance" to be able to re-download your game a few months or even years down the road.

I still worry, with the sheer number of games I now have on Steam, what will happen if the service ever goes under, or what I will do if I find myself unable to afford a decent net connection sometime in the future.

#15 Posted by Coldbrand (215 posts) -

Now I want them to team up with gog.com so that we can also play the old stuff they now have the license to, such as Theme Hospital.

#16 Posted by Kohe321 (3522 posts) -

Steam is awesome... This is really good news! The EA download manager thing sucked hard.

#17 Posted by Kraznor (1573 posts) -

Hopefully this one day results in American McGee's Alice ending up on the service. Been meaning to play that for years.

#18 Posted by delicious_lie (160 posts) -

OH GOD
IF I KNEW THIS WAS GONNA HAPPEN I WOULD HAVE WAITED BEFORE I GOT SPORE!

gah
that's very annoying

oh well, at least mirror's edge will be fine

#19 Posted by Trilogy (2569 posts) -

Rofl, looks like that whole ea download bs didn't work out so well for them. Go figure.. screwing your customer over wont get you anywhere.

#20 Posted by Lingxor (419 posts) -

The good guys always win.

#21 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Im glad to see EA doing this. I have been very impressed with them as of late. I hope they keep it up, and they could be one of my fav's.

#22 Edited by Death_Burnout (3767 posts) -

This is very good to see, steam is hella awesome as we know and its good to see EA games on there without EA's horrible download service.

#23 Posted by test0r (90 posts) -

Ye, I love steam, only annoyance is that you arent able to get the manual when you bought the game via steam, not that I've found anyway.

Now if they would only bring the EA stuff to europe and get a more sensible convertion rate from USD to EUR and I'd be all kinds of happy.

#24 Posted by Geno (6479 posts) -

I'll be able to play dead space on my PC on Steam? There IS a Santa Claus!

#25 Posted by n00bosaurusRex (175 posts) -

Yes yes yes yes awesome awesome awesome!  Too bad I already bought red alert 3 :(

#26 Posted by BawlZINmotion (704 posts) -

Maybe it's just coincidence, but a couple buddies and I weren't able to play one successful game of Left 4 Dead last night. Network lag, studdering and disconnects made it nigh impossible to play. Not since November 2004 have I had anything bad to say about Steam until yesterday. Not to mention half the game was pink.

#27 Posted by Callumrides (357 posts) -

Is this Gd Or is This Bad
 I Dont NO How to React

#28 Posted by GreggD (4442 posts) -

Funny thing about this, the Crysis games have been on Steam's store for months, now.

#29 Edited by JaxDaxter (81 posts) -

great news but its not for europe, lets hope that changes as soon as possible, also do you think that now means you can register ea games that youve bought previously to steam

#30 Posted by sdauz (432 posts) -

steam rocks...simple as that

#31 Posted by Hannibal (862 posts) -

Valve is, like, my favorite game company ever. I listened to the designer commentary in Left 4 Dead and every time they said something genius I realized the difference between a meh and awesome game.

#32 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

I don't do a lot of downloads, so I can't say I'm "o YEAH" or "aaa...what?"

#33 Posted by HatKing (5557 posts) -

That's it Valve needs to release a Steam console...that'd be amazing.

#34 Edited by MrKlorox (11185 posts) -

The Steam SPORE doesn't seem to have the activation limitations that the other versions do. If it does, Steam is doing a lousy job of letting one know. I mean the Far Cry 2 entry in Steam lets you know you only have 5 activations. At least the community side of steam is still run by a bunch of autists.

@JaxDaxter: Not likely. I've tried registering many non Valve games on steam and none have worked. I especially doubt EA would go for this.

EDIT: @GreggD: That's because Crytek had EA publish the boxed version under EA's Partner's program. The games listed in this article are all IPs owned by EA. Crytek still owns Crysis. Not that funny.

#35 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Steam is the only place I buy PC games.

#36 Posted by JoelTGM (5591 posts) -

Valve rocks.  I am happy EA is on Steam.

#37 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

Dope, well i assume they will piss off there download service now, know i hope they do.

#38 Edited by Kyle (2323 posts) -

Awesome. Long live Steam then, I guess. This seals Steam's supremacy without a doubt. Oh wells for EA download service.

#39 Posted by artofwar420 (6227 posts) -

YAAAY!

#40 Posted by AspiringAndy (332 posts) -

Thats Awesome!
But what is going to happen to there download thing?
Will it only be for patches now or will the EA Download manager disappear completely.

#41 Posted by Milkman (16226 posts) -

I am so glad that EA is finally losing this whole "gamer's enemy" persona that it has had for the past couple year. And that people are finally realizing that EA puts out quality product.

#42 Posted by momentarylogic (416 posts) -

Finally some positive news. Good job EA.

#43 Posted by Crono (2620 posts) -

Mind? Blown.

#44 Edited by prencher (101 posts) -

I'd buy stuff off of steam, except they charge Europeans 1:1 in euros for dollars.. That is, a $49.99 game is 49.99€ which of course really is $69.

Good job Valve; Your Steam prices with your latest changes are now even more expensive than buying from stores, something that was never cheap here to begin with. It was already bad enough with US price + VAT, but this just takes the cake.

Oh yeah the EA thing? That's cool, I guess. If only I could take advantage of it.

#45 Posted by warxsnake (2626 posts) -

this is amazing news something ive been waiting for, for a long long time. 

#46 Posted by Dib9394 (57 posts) -

Too bad it's only in America. :(

#47 Posted by piropeople13 (398 posts) -

I wish that some of these publishers would also start to publish onto Stardock's Impulse, unless Valve is being evil and signing exclusivity contracts with the publishers to only distribute on their services i don't see what is stopping them.  It would be better for everyone to have competition in the digital distribution space.  Even though Valve is a good company it would still get bad quickly if they end up having a monopoly on PC digital distribution.

#48 Posted by defector (39 posts) -

Good!

#49 Posted by Verge (47 posts) -

But not for Europe and they did a big price increase on all our games and acted like they were doing us a favor. They lost allot of good faith when they decided to convert the prices. Still, not that anyone cares about Europe, most sites give a games price in English pounds when mentioning a European price, which is just insulting.

#50 Posted by test0r (90 posts) -

Wait... you mean that there are other currencies than the one used by the english speaking country?

This just blows my mind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.