Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Electronic Arts

Company »

EA is one of the largest publisher/developers in the video game industry.

Everybody Hates EA, Apparently

bko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#501  Edited By bko

@Cynical_Gamer said:

@Bell_End said:

@Cynical_Gamer said:

EA deserves it. Most EA apologists forget (or weren't even born yet) since the early 90s how EA have bought out game studios and gradually ran them into the ground ruining once beloved game franchises. It's the sad state of the gaming industry and the blind consumers that support them.

just so im up on the rules. what exactly is an EA appologist.

is it someone like me that buys the odd EA game now and again, because they do publish some fucking GREAT games.

do i have to boycot EA aboslutely

Please do boycott EA so they can stop buying up and ruining game studios and go out of business.

Nah. I'll play the games I want, thanks. Have fun with your "cause" and let us know when you're enough of an adult to act on causes that actually matter.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#502  Edited By amir90

@Bell_End said:

@amir90 said:

Have you. Guys seen the prices on origin

yeah, they had a fantastic 50% off sale a few weeks ago. i picked so great stuff up.

just like steam, which is overpriced outside of a sales but great when in a sale.

Steam usually cost the same, or a bit cheaper then what the store demands in Norway.

On Origin, Star Wars the Old Republic costs 30 dollar more than the store (though it is deluxe edition, but that is the only one available), BF3 costs 15 Dollars more, that Amalur games costs 10 Dollars more.

I just don't get it.

Maybe its a internet sale tax we have in Norway, I dunno.

Regardless of the price, I don't mind origin as a client, and I don't mind EA as a publisher.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#503  Edited By Bell_End

@amir90 said:

@Bell_End said:

@amir90 said:

Have you. Guys seen the prices on origin

yeah, they had a fantastic 50% off sale a few weeks ago. i picked so great stuff up.

just like steam, which is overpriced outside of a sales but great when in a sale.

Steam usually cost the same, or a bit cheaper then what the store demands in Norway.

On Origin, Star Wars the Old Republic costs 30 dollar more than the store (though it is deluxe edition, but that is the only one available), BF3 costs 15 Dollars more, that Amalur games costs 10 Dollars more.

I just don't get it.

Maybe its a internet sale tax we have in Norway, I dunno.

Regardless of the price, I don't mind origin as a client, and I don't mind EA as a publisher.

for new(ish) stuff steam is usually overpriced in the UK MW3 for instance is £39.99 on steam and £20 on amazon, Skyrim £34.99 on steam £21.49 on amazon.

don't get me wrong steam has AMAZING sales... but so does Origin.

i buy from amazon mostly though

Cynical_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#504  Edited By Cynical_Gamer

@bko said:

@Cynical_Gamer said:

@Bell_End said:

@Cynical_Gamer said:

EA deserves it. Most EA apologists forget (or weren't even born yet) since the early 90s how EA have bought out game studios and gradually ran them into the ground ruining once beloved game franchises. It's the sad state of the gaming industry and the blind consumers that support them.

is it someone like me that buys the odd EA game now and again, because they do publish some fucking GREAT games.

Please do boycott EA so they can stop buying up and ruining game studios and go out of business.

Nah. I'll play the games I want, thanks. Have fun with your "cause" and let us know when you're enough of an adult to act on causes that actually matter.

Ok dudebro. Adults should just be complacent and buy whatever comes out.

Zalera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#505  Edited By Zalera

Bank of America should have won this. Internet polls are fucking worthless.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#506  Edited By captain_clayman

no way they're worse than comcast.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#507  Edited By mzuckerm
    gaminginpublic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#508  Edited By gaminginpublic

OHHH NOOOO! I didn't understand the ending to ME3!!! OH NOOOOOOOOOOO!

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#509  Edited By doobie

@Cynical_Gamer said:

@Bell_End said:

@Cynical_Gamer said:

if i was to boycott a publisher every time it upset the weirdo's on the internet id have nothing left to play

GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#510  Edited By GrandMarshal

Ii don't hate EA because of the ending of Mass Effect 3. I like the ending to mass effect 3. I hate them because of everything else.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#511  Edited By doobie

@GrandMarshal said:

Ii don't hate EA because of the ending of Mass Effect 3. I like the ending to mass effect 3. I hate them because of everything else.

like what

Thumbrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#512  Edited By Thumbrunner

EA is pretty bad but as sighted they are far less evil then any major bank at this moment in history.

Avatar image for internetdetective
    InternetDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

motherfuck a fucking EA

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#514  Edited By insanejedi

@Cynical_Gamer said:

@bko said:

@Cynical_Gamer said:

@Bell_End said:

@Cynical_Gamer said:

You should just buy something if it was worth the money. That's as simple as it is.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#515  Edited By Nethlem

Well as a gamer i would rather have picked activision, at least EA is somewhat more diverse with their offerings.

As a game consumer i would have picked EA, because they have the biggest impact on "establishing industry standards"

As a general consumer who is not from the US i would have picked a lot of all the other companies...

So though luck EA! It's funny how people make "winning the unpopularity contest" something that matters on a big level. Compared to most of the other contenders EA had a huge direct impact on a lot of peoples everyday life, not just in the US but globaly.

Sure BP or a Bank could have picked that spot, but people are allready used to getting ripped off by their bank and on gasoline prices. EA on the other hand had been pretty active and vocal on impacting people directly with their anti-second hand market practices, Origin's privacy issues and all kinds of other things.

And people didn't like that because they feel like EA is only in the position of doing these things because of the peoples support. So people feel more betrayed by EA then they do by BP or other multinational global concerns that have ripped off people for decades.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#516  Edited By Nethlem

@kycinematic said:

A bunch of children and manchildren would think EA is worse than Bank of America. "WAAAH MY MASS EFFECT 3 ENDING." I mean seriously, Bank of America are borderline traitors to this country and a fucking video game publisher is the worst company in their minds? God dammit.

And only a child would consider his own personal opinion the only and ultimate truth that everybody should agree to.

Welcome to the internet, you are part of it like every other idiot here who complains about "the internet", "gamers", "people" or any other group he's making responsible for this outcome.

Scary news for you: The US has even way bigger problems then EA and Bank of America combined. Only an idiot would try to blame complex issues on singular reasons like a single company. So what if Bank of America would have won this? Would it have changed anything? Give people back their houses? Make BoA suddenly go "Oh sorry guys, from now on we play fair!"?

No, it would have changed nothing because the majority of the world population is already well aware of the finance "industry" being one of the major factors for screwing people over on a global scale on a daily basis.

You think gamers are idiots? How about this: The majority of the US population are idiots!

Until lately your congress had been free to abuse it's power for insider trading so millionares get even more millionary.

But hey it's all cool and dandy as long as the rich get even richer, because they deserve it.

Yeah i guess there really is more important stuff then "what company is the most un-popular in the US"...

Sorry but US gamers talking politics and social responsibilities just crack me up...

facupay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#517  Edited By facupay

Most comments: "BAWWWW my choice didn't win because entitled gamer manchildren don't know anything about the world, unlike myself, a well-informed and levelheaded person."

Grow up, it's not like the world's problem would have been fixed if BoA had won, they have won this award THREE TIMES already and nothing happended. People have different opinions and you need to learn that.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#518  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Dayum EA, takes a lot of work to be hated more than the Bank of America at times like these.

Nymphonomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#519  Edited By Nymphonomicon

@zombie2011 said:

Huh, it was only a couple years ago when everyone loved EA and hated Activision.

I have more than enough hate for both of them.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#520  Edited By Kinarion

That needed saying. Thanks.

beatnik11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#521  Edited By beatnik11

In other news, kids on the internet do not have their priorities straight

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#522  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

EA is algood. Dead Space 1 and 2, Mirrors Edge, FIFA 12, Skate 1 2 and 3, ME2 and 3, Battlefield 3, Brutal Legend, SSX. and Burnout Paradise. All some of my favourite games of this generation how on earth can a company that makes fun videogames be the worst company in America? As people of lost life savings and houses to banks, it makes me not care what these EA haters care anymore, there whole world is the internet in there Moms basement.

Cynical_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#523  Edited By Cynical_Gamer

@doobie said:

@Cynical_Gamer said:

@Bell_End said:

@Cynical_Gamer said:

if i was to boycott a publisher every time it upset the weirdo's on the internet id have nothing left to play

Maybe you should try a non-EA published game for a change.

Cynical_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#524  Edited By Cynical_Gamer

@insanejedi said:

@Cynical_Gamer said:

@bko said:

@Cynical_Gamer said:

@Bell_End said:

@Cynical_Gamer said:

You should just buy something if it was worth the money. That's as simple as it is.

Most games especially EA published games aren't worth 60 bucks.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#525  Edited By insanejedi

@Cynical_Gamer said:

Most games especially EA published games aren't worth 60 bucks.

Then don't fucking buy the game! The several million people who bought battlefield 3 apparently disagreed with you.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#526  Edited By capthavic

I agree there are far worse companies out there but I'm okay with them being chosen. After their rape of the C&C series on top of their already anti-gamer policies I would certainly rate them as the worst game publisher out there right now, though Activision would still be a close second.. Sim City had better be damn amazing because if they fuck up another of my favorite series then I may very well boycott anything of theirs from now on until they get the hint to stop fucking over honest consumers.

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#527  Edited By Brighty

@facupay said:

Most comments: "BAWWWW my choice didn't win because entitled gamer manchildren don't know anything about the world, unlike myself, a well-informed and levelheaded person."

Grow up, it's not like the world's problem would have been fixed if BoA had won, they have won this award THREE TIMES already and nothing happended. People have different opinions and you need to learn that.

This. EA is the only company on that list that would actually give a shit about winning the title. It's more about awareness than anything. BofA simply doesn't care anymore and nothing would change if they did win.

Verdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#528  Edited By Verdy

I can't pay off the loan I got from the bank for living above my means. It's the bank's fault!

vs

An entertainment company that views its own customers as cash cows (like any other business) and unwillingly listens to their critique to the point that they edit/delete forum posts or even publicly curses out their fans (this was long before the Hepler incident). The anger and hatred for EA branches out far beyond the DLC controversy and ME3 ending and cumulated over the years. Just don't play the games? Well, imagine, you want to buy a game and professional reviewers say that Bioware released a good game. You can buy it and find yourself disappointed over the shoddy writing and botched content that was released as DLC instead. Well, those reviewers you just consulted were paid off by EA through ad revenue and threats by the publishers to hold back early copies in retaliation for low scores (several game reviewers have admitted this after their Twitter accounts were bombed with comments). When you try to complain to EA, the mods will simply edit your post or delete it as spam/trolling. Eric Kain actually has an excellent article on this that stated the inability of the consumer to voice their displeasure led to an accumulation of hatred. The only way the consumer could be heard was through (now infamous) outrageous acts such as harassing Hepler, sending EA cupcakes and voting EA as the worse company in America. In its defense, EA labels the consumer (you) as entitled. Now cue many commenters in this section to follow EA's way by calling the consumer (themselves) childish.

This is EA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6-u8OIJTE

Verdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#529  Edited By Verdy

@insanejedi: Okay! Let's see what my favorite gaming sites recommend we buy.

No Caption Provided

Wait a second...

Enigma_2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#530  Edited By Enigma_2099

The user voting came down to EA going directly against Bank of America, the financial institution known for raising interest rates on credit card holders with no marks against their credit, misleading mortgage holders who sought to modify their loans, and randomly experimenting with jacking up debit card and checking account fees just for shits and giggles.

How the FUCK do you consider EA worse than Bank of America after reading THAT?!?!?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#531  Edited By Sooty

@Enigma_2099 said:

The user voting came down to EA going directly against Bank of America, the financial institution known for raising interest rates on credit card holders with no marks against their credit, misleading mortgage holders who sought to modify their loans, and randomly experimenting with jacking up debit card and checking account fees just for shits and giggles.

How the FUCK do you consider EA worse than Bank of America after reading THAT?!?!?

Teenagers that live only on the Internet and don't even know how to use a bank account.

Verdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#532  Edited By Verdy

@Enigma_2099: By not holding a bank account at Bank of America.

LG_65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#533  Edited By LG_65

Wow... I had no idea EA was heavily disliked. I knew about the Mass Effect 3 mess with the ending, but... I am surprised about their other practices which were flawed...

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#534  Edited By mandude

EA has global hate, whereas BoA only has hate inside America. I wonder how many voters voted from outside the USA.

Enigma_2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#535  Edited By Enigma_2099

@Verdy:

And I don't own stock in EA... what's your point?

Uberdubie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#536  Edited By Uberdubie

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

I'm actually more ashamed of the commentors here that are taking this waaaaay too seriously. You actually hate people that voted for EA over BoA in an internet poll? Get over yourself. If you can't see the hypocrisy in what you are saying, you are already lost.

^ This. 100% this.

If anything is really surprising (and even a bit disturbing), it's how many people on this site are rushing to EA's defense just because of some inane internet poll. You can compare EA to Bank of America, Activision, or even nazi Germany. EA is still a repulsive, beyond deplorable company. Making random outlandish comparisons doesn't change facts.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#537  Edited By AiurFlux

I honestly think that a lot of publishers in general should go on this list. ActiVi$ion, EA, and Capcom are the ones that spring foremost to mind. Now I'm not going to mention Mass Effect outside of saying that I'm not going to mention it, because we all know that debacle is going to be the scapegoat for EA to say that gamers are self-entitled, they should shut up and be happy, and if they don't like it don't buy it. To them I say go fuck yourselves with a rusty hatchet. Sideways and covered in splinters.

EA has a reputation, for years mind you, of deplorable acts. Now mentioning Nazi Germany in anything basically means that you've lost the argument or discussion, but I'll just say this, have you seen that .gif of the EA logo turning into a swastika? It's old. Very old. Over 4 years old since I first saw it. That's an eternity on the internet. This backlash against them has been boiling for a while and all this is is a tech savvy group speaking out against these crooked fucking companies, and EA is rightfully the biggest target. End of story.

But they aren't the only ones. I heard recently that Capcom was reported to the BBB for the Street Fight x Tekken "DLC" (although it isn't DLC because it's on the fucking disc) deal. Then look at ActiVi$ion and how they handle their products, beating the fuck out of them like a dead horse to the point that they're a bloody pulp then still beating them thrown the center of the very Earth we live on while at the same time nickle and dimeing their customers. Then look at UbiSoft and how they basically fuck over part of their audience because they choose to play games on a goddamn computer instead of an underpowered console.

We're the ones to blame for this. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we gave them an inch and they took over the planet. We gave them money for shitty and deplorable DLC practices. We gave them money for shoveled out sequel after shoveled out sequel. We let them release the same game 9 months down the line. Us and let's be honest here, the media, are to blame. Not only for not looking out for the public and saying bluntly "No." but also for acting like scared children kicking at the dust in the ground while other bigger fish take money and incentives to look the other way.

*glares at IGN*

Fucking pricks.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
    Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#538  Edited By Gladiator_Games
    @Drebin_893 said:

It just proves how stupid and unaware people are on the internet.

THIS. THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.
    Cynical_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#539  Edited By Cynical_Gamer

@Gladiator_Games said:

@Drebin_893 said:

It just proves how stupid and unaware people are on the internet.

THIS. THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

Or how stupid and unaware people are IRL considering EA's target audience.

Cymatics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#540  Edited By Cymatics

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

Every gamer SHOULD hate EA.

I couldn't care less about that poll, and EA winning this means more folks get aware of that crap company. Meanwhile if the Bank of America won, who'd give a shit. Everyone knows they suck already.

EA needs to die, won't happen anytime soon but considering how much effort they're putting into screwing over their customers, eventually none is left. EA absolutely dwarfs every other company/publisher in regards to what's bad.

No, not every gamer should hate EA, you're as wrong as it gets. EA is far from a bad wolf when it comes to gaming, Valve is an absolute bitch, Activision is a gang of whores, while EA do... ehm, right, release a lot of good games. They even give you the choice to buy their dlc's, horrible people, they should probably force you to buy them. Oh, and they gave people an alternative to Steam, omg, what a terrible company. EA have done it's mistakes, but they don't do it to piss you off, they to it to profit at the same time that they try to make a good product, and generally they don't compromise they make a good product part. If they do, you should put some proof out there. And they have NEVER screwed me over, not once. They have pissed me off, but never screwed me over.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#541  Edited By striderno9

Yeah because the ending of ME3 is more important BoA jacking up my interest rates for no reason. Way to go internet :rolls eyes at internet:

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#542  Edited By KaneRobot

While I don't really agree with them being the "worst company in America," I'll definitely go with them being the worst company in gaming, with Capcom (on disc DLC, Resident Evil 3DS game debacle) and then Activision (duh) at 2nd and 3rd place.

The reasons for EA are numerous, but I'd have to say at this point their goddamn shutting down of servers is why I will never, ever buy a new EA game again, and certainly not buy an "online pass" for any used games I purchase. While it's nothing new for EA to shut down servers for older titles, to me it seems like it was mostly limited to outdated, yearly sports games which I can almost stomach. But when you start shutting off shit like Burnout Revenge, I'm done with you. There is zero justification for it. NONE. The upcoming (4/30) shutting down of Family Game Night for XBLA is also awful - how much you want to bet they'll still be more than happy to charge for the game itself without warning consumers before purchasing?

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#543  Edited By ptys

I blame EA for rushing Mass Effect 3 and therefore this poll is 100% correct... although they're probably not a evil as Activation.

brewster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#544  Edited By brewster

It just proves how little the US general public actually know about the diabolical practises of BoA.

Saudade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#545  Edited By Saudade

@KaneRobot said:

While I don't really agree with them being the "worst company in America," I'll definitely go with them being the worst company in gaming, with Capcom (on disc DLC, Resident Evil 3DS game debacle) and then Activision (duh) at 2nd and 3rd place.

The reasons for EA are numerous, but I'd have to say at this point their goddamn shutting down of servers is why I will never, ever buy a new EA game again, and certainly not buy an "online pass" for any used games I purchase. While it's nothing new for EA to shut down servers for older titles, to me it seems like it was mostly limited to outdated, yearly sports games which I can almost stomach. But when you start shutting off shit like Burnout Revenge, I'm done with you. There is zero justification for it. NONE. The upcoming (4/30) shutting down of Family Game Night for XBLA is also awful - how much you want to bet they'll still be more than happy to charge for the game itself without warning consumers before purchasing?

I'll never pay for another EA or Capcom game. Semi-off topic; I'll never pay for another game that requires me to be online all the time, or periodically check in as a matter of fact. Completely off topic; If used games will soon be gone, does this mean a return of cheats most games? I want my damn cheats back!

And someone fire this idiot too for thinking something could be done about banks vs the video game industry!

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#546  Edited By SmilingPig

E.A. is in the business of making money, and make money they do.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#547  Edited By Nux

Take that EA?

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#548  Edited By Nettacki
    @Bourbon_Warrior said:

EA is algood. Dead Space 1 and 2, Mirrors Edge, FIFA 12, Skate 1 2 and 3, ME2 and 3, Battlefield 3, Brutal Legend, SSX. and Burnout Paradise. All some of my favourite games of this generation how on earth can a company that makes fun videogames be the worst company in America? As people of lost life savings and houses to banks, it makes me not care what these EA haters care anymore, there whole world is the internet in there Moms basement.

They don't even make those games. They just publish them. BIG difference there. They made money by essentially being freeloaders of the devs' hard work, then when they've outlived their usefulness, the developers get shut down. Along with a bunch of other crap that appears anti-consumer.
    Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#549  Edited By Nettacki
    @Djratchet said:
    Most likely, many of the votes for EA came from those particularly incensed by recent issues like Mass Effect 3's ending, the general lousiness of EA's Origin service, and probably some combination of the things listed previously. Considering that EA has been at the forefront of a particularly nasty bit of Internet vitriol regarding Mass Effect 3 in the last month or so, it's not so surprising that voters came out in droves to express their displeasure via this outlet.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Also, I gotta give EA some props for taking it in stride. They are right, they are still responsible for putting out some of the best games out there, bs online passes and DLC aside.

Taking it in stride? I find it grossly arrogant and ignorant of legitimate criticisms from actual consumers.

BTW: Forbes covered this better than you, Alex. No offense.
    MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#550  Edited By MajorToms

I am proud to say I haven't bought an EA game in several years (ME2). After my displeasure with that game, as well as the on going debacle of their PC platform "Origin (lol what a fucking joke name)", I am happy not giving them my money. I bought Dragon Age used and thought it was a piece of crap. It's not just EA though, Activision, Capcom, and Microsoft can all suck a dick.

You don't want to get your wallet raped? Stop laying down, sucking up to the man. And think twice before you open your wallet for the next "BIG" game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.