Why do people hate EA so much?

• 191 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

EA are cool with me. Some of the things they do are totally slimy, but they make quality games and I'm willing to overlook it.

#152 Posted by Driadon (3027 posts) -

EA is still very much the corperate producer. Sure, Activision has taken it place as the slimeball businessman of the industry, for the most part, and EA has helped it's image by actually listening to the community, but it's damned apparent that they still apply the pressure to devs that, really, could have done so much better without that external nagging. 
I could also be jaded being a young game developer living in Edmonton...

#153 Posted by Brendan (8118 posts) -

Cus this is thriller, thriller night.

#154 Edited by mordukai (7185 posts) -

I used to hate EA with a passion. In fact my avatar for years was a picture of a nerd dressed as a lame super hero and I called him EA Man and his bubble said "I'm an original creation". But in the last two years they have really turned it around for themselves. They still make the same old shitty annual games but they came up with some really fine gems and breathed new life into dying franchises.. As long as they keep doing that, and increasing their EA partner's plan, then they have a long future a head of them which more then I can say for Activision. True every year they end up swimming in cash pools but how long can the CoD franchise sustain them. Frankly I think Blizzard should run away while they still can. Once Activision kills CoD (and they will) Blizzard and their games will be next in line. 

#155 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

I think their DLC and pre-oder practices are disgusting, but if it wasn't for that they would be ok.

#156 Posted by awesomeusername (4216 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
"Once Activision kills CoD (and they will) BioWare and their games will be next in line.  "
What? I get that COD will be dead in about 3 years but I don't get what you mean about Bioware.
#157 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -
@awesomeusername: FUCKING OOPS. Corrected. 
#158 Posted by Hunkulese (2869 posts) -
@jakob187: People hate big companies because all big companies enjoy making money. There is not one major company in any field that doesn't have a large group of haters. People hate Dell, Apple, Microsoft and Ford. People will always hate successful .
#159 Posted by awesomeusername (4216 posts) -
@Mordukai: Now I get it. I was thinking you meant Blizzard but I thought to much and said "WTF?!". But yes, Blizzard should back away from that scary dwarf named Kotick.
#160 Posted by awesomeusername (4216 posts) -
@Zachariahus said:
" @wordsgohere said:
" EA eats small children. That's why. "
Being not a very big fan of children, I think I'm pretty okay with this. "
LOL! 

@Rayfield said:
" Posting in 28 month old thread. "
This. 

@jakob187 said:
" @XII_Sniper:   Do I agree that every game needs a multiplayer component?  No, but if they can handle it the same way as Dead Space 2 or Need For Speed Hot Pursuit...where the single player portion doesn't suffer and yet still has a fully capable multiplayer functionality...then I'm perfectly fine with that.   
There's a smawt boy! Knows there ain't gotsa be no damn multiplayer! Singa player ftw!!!!!!!! I luz yuh!
#161 Edited by jakob187 (21755 posts) -
@kingzetta said:

" EA, ubisoft, and capcom are the best companies in the world. "

I see what you did there. 

@awesomeusername said:
"@jakob187 said:
" @XII_Sniper:   Do I agree that every game needs a multiplayer component?  No, but if they can handle it the same way as Dead Space 2 or Need For Speed Hot Pursuit...where the single player portion doesn't suffer and yet still has a fully capable multiplayer functionality...then I'm perfectly fine with that.   
There's a smawt boy! Knows there ain't gotsa be no damn multiplayer! Singa player ftw!!!!!!!! I luz yuh! "
You makin' fun of my Southern roots, boy?
#162 Posted by NTM (7540 posts) -

I don't know. They have my two favorites. Crysis and Dead Space.
#163 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -
@awesomeusername said:

" @Mordukai: Now I get it. I was thinking you meant Blizzard but I thought to much and said "WTF?!". But yes, Blizzard should back away from that scary dwarf named Kotick. "

As much as Blizzard meets the Activision mindset of iterative sequels, they don't seem to be too fond of a yearly release cycle. It also seems like they are distinct and profitable enough to resist Activision pressure if they felt it would significantly weaken their brand.
#164 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

The only way something or someone gets off my hate list, is if they send me free stuff. 

#165 Posted by Feels (105 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @Nasar7 said:
" This is some serious thread necromancy. "
No shit.  I forgot I ever made this thread.  I still stand by my words, though.  Dead Space 2 Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Mass Effect 2 Dragon Age: Origins (PC only, fuck the console version) Battlefield Bad Company 2 The Sims 3 Skate 3 NBA Jam Madden 11 (again, the last time I liked Madden was 1994, so it says a lot to me that I thoroughly enjoyed this game)  Plus...with Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, Battlefield 3, Dragon Age II, and so many other games scheduled for the year...  ...EA still kicks severe amounts of ass! "
Hot Pursuit
Mass Effect 2 
Dragon Age 
(All three not developed by EA)

Crysis 2
Bulletstorm
Dragon Age II
(All three NOT being developed by EA)

You're left with:
Dead Space,  Battlefield, The Sims, some sports games.
EA can publish well, yet can't develop worth shit (exceptions being internally owned studios Visceral and DICE)

Yeah, EA kicks 'severe amounts of ass!'....=/
#166 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -
@Feels:  I think you're missing the point. EA is a quality publisher. What devs are in house is irrelevant to that point.
#167 Posted by sharma55 (455 posts) -

I don't hate EA anymore, it's Activision and their stupid Family Guy game I hate.

#168 Edited by Hreterus (6 posts) -
@danimal_furry said:

" @Hreterus said:

"@danimal_furry said:

" Because they are a big name with a lot of money. At least that is part of it. Some people hate the big guys, but EA deserves it for another reason. With all their money, they just sit on stale ideas and put out rehashed versions year after year. They lack any motivation to be creative. A prime example is their sports games. Madden is the most offensive because they purchased all NFL rights and have no competition among football games. Therefore they just release the same crap every year with "new rosters." I was over EA for a long time... but then I had to write this. Now I feel the rage. ARRRRRRGGGGG!!!! "

People buy the things they make right? Not like they force you or anything.   It's a "natural" monopoly that thay have (if what you say is true) and there is nothing wrong with that.If they purchased the NFL rights then obviously the ones they bought  it from agreed. So there's no force involved. Any time another company wants to make a football game they can and if you like it better you can buy it.  You people act as if you are entitled to games you like... as if these corporations are their to make you happy as the priority not make money. "

You take me too seriously. I'm a nice and pleasant capitalist. I see nothing wrong with a monopoly, but I also don't like lazy corporations. I just hate the fact they make the same Madden every year and people keep buying it. It's retarded, and it's why I quit buying them. But they have no competition because they bought the NFL contract. When that runs out, I will be so so so very happy. Also, I think EA is starting to slide on the money making scale. Either way, I am kind of glad people have started to see my way about EA. Once they get a little heat under them, they should start making decent games again. I want to go back to the time when Gameday and Madden were constantly at war over who could put out a better NFL game. " @danimal_furry: 

Ah, well that's totally reasonable then! (:
#169 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @kingzetta said:

" EA, ubisoft, and capcom are the best companies in the world. "

I see what you did there. 

What? Those are favorite companies .
#170 Posted by bartok (2581 posts) -

Activision is the new evil empire. 

#171 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

I'd appreciate it if someone could link me to a story about EA removing people from the credits of a game.

#172 Posted by TheChaos (1138 posts) -
@Hreterus said:
" Don't use it then? Nobody is forceing you.     So pirates are good? Mind if I come over and steal something from you? "

#173 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -

EA (at least to me) just takes good franchises and then grinds them down to shit.  See, Command and Conquer, Medal of Honor, Burnout and more.

#174 Posted by tariqari (431 posts) -

Because they stand for Everyone hAtes us.

#175 Posted by robot4me (190 posts) -

madden football. football games were good before E A became the only people making nfl games

#176 Posted by Daveyo520 (6991 posts) -

That is a good question. Activision is so much worse. I guess cuz they used to be the biggest back in the day and people don't like big companies that do a lot. 

#177 Posted by Hreterus (6 posts) -
@Daveyo520:   

You hate Activision because the CEO said that he would sell call of duty for even more... but ask yourself wouldn't you want to buy it cheaper?  Therefore you can't really complain can you? 

I myself love that he said that.
#178 Posted by Jimbo7676 (722 posts) -
@jakob187:  Hating EA is an older argument. I hated EA in the past because they bought Bullfrog only to destroy it and bought westwood and destroyed it too. I was pretty worried when they bought BIoware but nothing awful has happened just yet so maybe they are learning to work with their acquisitions now. That or they at least know not to fuck with a golden goose.
#179 Posted by boylie (306 posts) -

Because they used to be #1. In this industry, being the best makes you evil. Now Activision is the best, and well... 

I personally think that EA has done a lot as of late to make me not really hate them. But that's just me

#180 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2690 posts) -

I don't like their sports games, but I don't hate EA. 
#181 Posted by MechaDestroyer (40 posts) -

If anything, Activision in the last 3-4 years has proven that if EA chose to not be evil: someone else would be.  Therefore, I don't hate EA but rather condemn any practices that would make any company such.   

#182 Edited by FesteringNeon (2166 posts) -

I'm just a little bitter over the NFL thing. I definitely hold no grudge against them as a company, as i'm generally happy with their products. It just saddened me that the 2K series was cut off right as new ground was breaking in sports games at that time. Still to this day, EA  sports games just feel like that "halftime show" presentation and attention to detail is just missing, I will always wonder what could have been if the Sportscenter license was still being used by 2K Sports. I do prefer EA's hockey game over 2k's though.. I will give them credit. I just wish they'd add more to the atmosphere, and really make important games feel important, and do something Sportscenter like, improving on what 2K started doing.

#183 Posted by Dakoroth (1 posts) -

My Problem With EA is they don't give a crap about us, the consumers. While they do create some good games, they do not attempt to fix the problems which invariably pop up. Games get glitches, that's just how it is sometimes, but when a consumer tells another company about it, the company normally responds with " let me see if i can fix that." and a good majority of those actually try to fix the problem they were told about. EA on the other hand, rarely even remarks on the problems, and I can't remember the last time they attempted to fix one of the glitches that popped up in their games. All I want from them is for them to PRETEND to care about their customer. Is that too much to ask for?

#184 Posted by jakob187 (21755 posts) -

@dakoroth said:

My Problem With EA is they don't give a crap about us, the consumers. While they do create some good games, they do not attempt to fix the problems which invariably pop up. Games get glitches, that's just how it is sometimes, but when a consumer tells another company about it, the company normally responds with " let me see if i can fix that." and a good majority of those actually try to fix the problem they were told about. EA on the other hand, rarely even remarks on the problems, and I can't remember the last time they attempted to fix one of the glitches that popped up in their games. All I want from them is for them to PRETEND to care about their customer. Is that too much to ask for?

NECROMANCY!!!!

You should realize this was some time back when there weren't all of these problems running rampant.

#185 Posted by Milkman (17305 posts) -

Bad Company is a great game, just saying.

#186 Posted by redfoxbennaton (20 posts) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ

#187 Posted by Belegorm (670 posts) -

Ultima 8, and even worse, Ultima 9.

Never forget.

#188 Posted by Milkman (17305 posts) -

First page of this thread is a good showcase of why when people say "man, these forums used to be so much better", they have no idea what they're talking about.

#189 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6093 posts) -

I like EA, mr necro.

#190 Posted by Onemanarmyy (97 posts) -

Using beloved franchises like Dungeon Keeper and Roller Coaster Tycoon as cash-grabby f2p mobile games instead of actually doing something meaningfull with those franchises is something that i can't appreciate.

#191 Posted by FinalDasa (2040 posts) -

Not sure why someone felt the need to necro a year old thread to post a terrible Youtube video but hey, that's life.

Preaching to the choir @milkman

Moderator Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.