Why do people hate EA so much?

#1 Edited by leky1 (829 posts) -

there's no reason !!!can you explain why please?a conspiracy theory?NFS Carbon?

#2 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

The churning out of yearly sequels. EA seem fine to me now, it's just the sports games that are 'exploited' and sports games make me laugh anyway.

#3 Edited by leky1 (829 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:

" The churning out of yearly sequels. EA seem fine to me now, it's just the sports games that are 'exploited' and sports games make me laugh anyway. "

satisfying enough i guess
#4 Posted by me3639 (1729 posts) -

Because of their licensing agreements with all the major sports, and college  franchises it eliminates competition, which has been apparent for the last couple of years.

I still dont understand why MS doesnt go back and open up their sports division, i would buy a new Links game in a heartbeat, but Oh No we have to play Eldrick every year.

#5 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

They've got some aggresive marketing techniques as well. Some are pretty brutal or just plain stupid.

#6 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" The churning out of yearly sequels. EA seem fine to me now, it's just the sports games that are 'exploited' and sports games make me laugh anyway. "
If they simply offered the option of paying $30 every year for updated rosters and features instead of charging $60 every year people would be fine with them.
#7 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -

Their menu systems in sports game are terrible.

#8 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

People don't hate EA so much anymore, they've recently turned themselves around supported some great new IPs.

Activison is the new evil empire.

#9 Posted by Baillie (4039 posts) -

Well, Fifa and Fight Night games are awesome. So it's only those pesky american sports!

#10 Posted by Gamer_152 (14054 posts) -

EA do put out some good games, they just fit the archetype of the big evil video games corporation.

#11 Posted by Aas (603 posts) -

Hating EA is so last year. Activision is the devil now.

#12 Posted by Micke (31 posts) -

They've been using a lot of annoying DRM on PC.

#13 Posted by Teh_Eel (296 posts) -

I used to hate EA quite alot due to DRM and what they did to the C&C series, but they are turning themselfs around. Also Activision is the big evil company to hate now.

#14 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Must be because of that Kotick fella why everyone hates Activision now. I've havn't been following them at all recently so I wouldn't really know why.

#15 Posted by Farmer (328 posts) -

#16 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

EA used to basically churn out terrible games constantly with no new IP's just existing ones or ones based off other media franchises. They said after the terrible Superman Returns game, or whatever, that they were going to change their ways; they totally did.

#17 Posted by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

Welcome to 2003!  I think you are a tad behind the times.  Most gamers don't hate EA anymore.  When John Ricatello took over as "head honcho" for Electronic Arts, he promised big changes for the company.  He said they would encourage quality over any release schedule and expand their new IP catalog.  And, they've done that although, regrettably this change occurred during an economic downturn so consumers seemed to be less willing to take chances.  Mirror's Edge and Dead Space under preformed at the register and EA's stock suffered under his direction.  This may mean he will have to take a few steps back on his original plans.  However, with the EA partnership program, great development studios like Valve and Id can create free of restraint and still benefit from EA's massive marketing machineworks. Good games that can sell very well are likely to persist.  So, EA is no longer the "devil".  That title now belongs to Activision/Blizzard and with comments like the ones from their CEO Bobby Kotick only serve to reinforce that perception.

#18 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

I don't hate EA, they're just a big heartless company.

Activision on the other hand..... that's pure evil.

The Face of Evil
#19 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" I don't hate EA, they're just a big heartless company.

The Face of Evil
"
this
#20 Edited by Monkeygb21 (192 posts) -

People hate EA because they are one of the biggest publishers out there.   It is very common for people to hate the most successful version of something (Wal-Mart, McDonald’s, New York Yankees) and go out of their way to exploit its faults while forgiving the same offensives in their competitiors.  

I Actually like EA, their sports games get a little better each year, (compre them to 2K) and look at how well they work with the EA Partners program.   They are not perfect, but they are better than a lot of other publishers (namely Eidos  and Activision)

#21 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -
@WitchHunter_Z said:
" People don't hate EA so much anymore, they've recently turned themselves around supported some great new IPs.  Activison is the new evil empire. "
This.  EA isn't nearly as bad as it was about 3-4 years ago.
#22 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

Really? I thought people were into hating Activision now.

#23 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@Monkeygb21 said:
"  

People hate EA because they are one of the biggest publishers out there.   It is very common for people to hate the most successful version of something (Wal-Mart, McDonald’s, New York Yankees) and go out of their way to exploit its faults while forgiving the same offensives in their competitiors.  

I Actually like EA, their sports games get a little better each year, (compre them to 2K) and look at how well they work with the EA Partners program.   They are not perfect, but they are better than a lot of other publishers (namely Eidos  and Activision)

"
Nobody hates EA anymore, except for losers. Everyone hates Activision now.

@PenguinDust said:
" Welcome to 2003!  I think you are a tad behind the times.  Most gamers don't hate EA anymore.  When John Ricatello took over as "head honcho" for Electronic Arts, he promised big changes for the company.  He said they would encourage quality over any release schedule and expand their new IP catalog.  And, they've done that although, regrettably this change occurred during an economic downturn so consumers seemed to be less willing to take chances.  Mirror's Edge and Dead Space under preformed at the register and EA's stock suffered under his direction.  This may mean he will have to take a few steps back on his original plans.  However, with the EA partnership program, great development studios like Valve and Id can create free of restraint and still benefit from EA's massive marketing machineworks. Good games that can sell very well are likely to persist.  So, EA is no longer the "devil".  That title now belongs to Activision/Blizzard and with comments like the ones from their CEO Bobby Kotick only serve to reinforce that perception. "

Totally.
#24 Edited by Potter9156 (940 posts) -

Mostly just opinion less teens jumping on the bandwagon after seeing lots of people bash EA on 4chan, System Wars and other shitty forums.  They (EA) have turned around and are starting too make quality I.Ps.

#25 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:

The Face of Evil
"
EVEEL GRIN!

As for EA, although I can't fully forgive them for the atrocious games they've made, they have gotton their head out of their ass. Have to give them some credit for that.
#26 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11491 posts) -

Everyone used to hate EA because of the way that they exploited their franchises and treated the companies that they bought (Westwood, Bullfrog, etc.). Now that Bobby Kotick is talking about squeezing franchises dry and taking the fun out of making video games,  people have found a far more suitable target for "The Evil Empire"

#27 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3701 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:

The Face of Evil
"
Hahaha
Bobby Kotick is everything that is wrong with capitalism.
#28 Posted by leky1 (829 posts) -
@Aas said:
" Hating EA is so last year. Activision is the devil now. "
they made such shit with CoD :(
#29 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I guess it's because all they care about is money and how to get more of it. However lately with games like mirrors edge and dead space, maybe they are trying to change that image.

#30 Posted by DER (97 posts) -

Because nerds sitting at their computers need something to bitch about in order to feel like they are contributing to society. 

#31 Posted by leky1 (829 posts) -
@DER said:
" Because nerds sitting at their computers need something to bitch about in order to feel like they are contributing to society.  "
i am not bitching i am asking!
#32 Posted by DER (97 posts) -
@leky1 said:
" @DER said:
" Because nerds sitting at their computers need something to bitch about in order to feel like they are contributing to society.  "
i am not bitching i am asking! "
directed to those who bitch
#33 Posted by leky1 (829 posts) -
@DER said:
" @leky1 said:
" @DER said:
i am not bitching i am asking! "
directed to those who bitch "
oh sorry then lol xP
#34 Edited by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

Because they are the devil (In co-operation with Activision) of the gaming industry, that's why.

#35 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Activision is where the hate should go.

#36 Edited by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

I think hate is a bit strong, I don't hate companies, they're businesses out to make money. EA however does disappoint more than other companies, none more so than in Europe where Rock Band was released 6 Months late with a 120% price increase (which at the time was blamed on the euro and not the fact that Europe was footing the repair bill for the broken US controllers). And in Australia it came out a few weeks before Rock Band 2 came out. It's bad enough that some of the best games made are made here (Burnout Paradise, Batman AA, DJ Hero, GTA4, Hitman to name a few) and yet we're constantly being shafted by the big publishers like EA, Activision and Ubisoft.   

#37 Edited by Warfare (1632 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:

The Face of Evil
"
Does anyone else think that he looks like a former child star that just got off crack ?  
#38 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Its mostly because they went through a stretch where all they made were mediocre sequels and sports games. Now they are starting to make some very good new IPs and they should get credit for that. 

#39 Posted by PercyChuggs (1087 posts) -
@Farmer said:
"
"
And the problem here is.....?

I guess only white guys can be the enemy on box covers? You are a racist.
#40 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

I hate them because they're so ff'ing rich. 
I despise them for pooping out so much mediocre stuff on us.( which made them ff'ing rich in the first place)
#41 Posted by MachoFantastico (4509 posts) -

Don't personally hate EA anymore, especially with how they turned the FIFA series around. I hated them because of the way they kept producing poor sports games over and over. 

Now all my 100% pure, evil, insane hate goes towards Activision who are nothing but dirt on the bottom of my shoe.

#42 Posted by burnoutx1985 (1 posts) -

ive always liked EA but yea a new microsoft links game would be great.

#43 Posted by empfeix (774 posts) -

I will never forgive EA for their dreamcast debacle.

#44 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

Cause they didn't want to support a bad system? 

EA is getting better, while Acti got a lot worse.

#45 Posted by Dark_Jon (581 posts) -

They overwork their employees, push up their release dates as far as possible, after they release a game, that's pretty much it. Look at all the bugs their games have when they are released. It's obvious they are trying to rush things to make $ asap. They usually don't update games with patches. I bought Mercenaries 2 and to this day I still cannot play with my friend because of connection issues. Somehow, both of us can still play with random strangers.

#46 Posted by mhkjtha (429 posts) -

they have a tendency to take pc franchises and consolifying them. and then when they fuck up with pc versions of games, they never patch them. (see dead space and riddick)
#47 Posted by Meltac (1999 posts) -
@Warfare said:
" @ArchScabby said:

The Face of Evil
"
Does anyone else think that he looks like a former child star that just got off crack ?   "

You're .. actually right. And Activision is the one to hate atm, EA is good ^^
#48 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

I used to have no respect for EA, but after games like Dead Space came out (and after they didn't destroy Bioware after acquiring them) I have come to terms with EA's existence. I don't care for them either way now. If they keep making great games (READ: taking chances with new IPs) I may even begin to respect them.

#49 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

They were absolutely terrible in years past (see yearly sports updates, 15 sims expansions a month and bad movie tie ins)  
But as everyone hs pointed out, a nice crop of new IP's and actually decent games has made them a little more like an actual Games company when compared to the new hate figure in activision. 

I still hate the fact they charge for unlock codes that 5 years ago would've been for free on the internet or in a cheats guide though- i dont use the damn things but its still sleazy practice

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.