Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Elite

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 20, 1984

Created by Ian Bell and David Braben, this space trading / combat game was revolutionary; combining wireframe 3D graphics with open-ended gameplay to create a distinct gaming experience. Originally released for the BBC Microcomputer in 1984.

Trading/Piracy/Bounty Sim "Elite" 25 years old today + Other Sims

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

Edited By ahoodedfigure
    I wasn't familiar with the original, and I only came upon Elite II many years after it was made, but in playing it realized just why so many people loved it.  It was one of the first of the multi-role space sims, bringing new depth to space combat and resource management that was begun by the old Star Trek games and games like Star Raiders.  Here's a BBC article and video with gameplay:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8266017.stm

Currently scrating that space-sim itch for me is the primitive graphics/tons of features ASCII Privateer, a remake of the old Privateer game with extra features added.  Now you can board other craft, fight the crew, and take their loot.  Pretty cool.  Once you get past the graphics it's quite addictive, as long as you don't mind the space flight being top-down instead of first-person.

Anyone space-simming it lately?
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    I wasn't familiar with the original, and I only came upon Elite II many years after it was made, but in playing it realized just why so many people loved it.  It was one of the first of the multi-role space sims, bringing new depth to space combat and resource management that was begun by the old Star Trek games and games like Star Raiders.  Here's a BBC article and video with gameplay:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8266017.stm

Currently scrating that space-sim itch for me is the primitive graphics/tons of features ASCII Privateer, a remake of the old Privateer game with extra features added.  Now you can board other craft, fight the crew, and take their loot.  Pretty cool.  Once you get past the graphics it's quite addictive, as long as you don't mind the space flight being top-down instead of first-person.

Anyone space-simming it lately?
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pazy

I keep trying to get into Elite (and similer games) but the closet ive gotten is playing way too much Freelancer on diffrent servers. I love that game!

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @Pazy: I keep hearing good things about Freelancer.  Glad I bought it, though I haven't actually got around to playing it yet.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pazy

As a space sim it is as good as freelancer, its a very streamlined (and to a certain extent stripped down I beleive) version of it. It will give you ships of various class's and styles, diffrent missions from cargo runs to more combat focused missions and then the "world" to explore. I always loved the universe though and when you go online theres "vanilla" servers but most are moded and extend the universe to be more than it is, adding diffrent ships and systems to explore to get new weapons, valuble cargo and fight more dangerous enemies.

The Single player story is supposed to be good (with some good story missions too) but for me it came alive when you went online and joined a server and perhaps even a clan. That whole system where people "owned" diffrent sectors and would defend it or grant you access (perhaps through alliances or trade) while it was essentially based on the forum of that server it made the whole thing so much more for me.

Especially when they held RP events like a Nomad Invasion (Nomads being the big alien unstoppable enemy in the game) and my clan (and a pirate faction in our area we had to begrudgingly work along side) were in charge of defending the Magellan passage. We waited together doing nothing for at least an hour while we heard people communicating in the other systems and by knowing who died we could see the passage of the Nomad's and we just had to wait until they came for us. They came for us and we fought them off but most of us were used to "policing" brittania (or avoiding the police) and werent really great combat pilots and they wasted us.

If you can find an active server its really worth playing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.