Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Empire: Total War

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 03, 2009

The fifth installment in the Total War series from The Creative Assembly. Empire: Total War features the series' hallmark blend of real-time strategic battles, and turn-based empire building. Empire takes place during the 18th century — an age of imperial expansion, trade, rifles and cannons.

External Hard Drive Empiore Toatal War

Tony455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tony455

Can anyone give any input.. I have just bought Empire Total War. I am new to gaming. I have loaded the game but it iuses a massive space on my hard Drive. So considering an External Hard Drive and transfering it over and play it from there. Can anyone give me any guidance as to what external Hard drive would be appropriate as i dont want to loose picture performance /sound, etc. Would appreciate any help in making my mind up. Thanks to all.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By thebeast

If you're looking for an external hard drive with a fast connection, you'll need something that supports eSATA or Firewire - which means you'll need some way to connect them to your PC. 

If you don't have either connection, then it is possible to buy PCI cards and fit them yourself - but if you're willing to open up your computer to do that (trust me, it's not that scary), you might as well fit a new hard disk as they're much cheaper and much faster.

On the other hand, I've ran games from a USB 2.0 external hard disk with no troubles - it certainly shouldn't affect graphics/sound but you probably will notice a difference in load/buffering times. I have a 1TB WD MyBook (the USB 2.0 version) which is fantastic.
    jas7dafinest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jas7dafinest
    1. hi i need help.. can someone teach me how to download the game total war into my external hardrive, because my computer is to laggy when i download it there..thanks..
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

The problem you would have trying to play Empire from an external hard drive is that Empire is a Steam game.  By default all Steam games install to your C drive so installing Empire to an external hard drive might actually be impossible or at the very least fairly complicated.  Putting a new hard drive into the computer itself would run into this problem too.

Buying an external hard drive isn't a bad idea though.  You can put other stuff on there that you don't use very much like your videos and pictures, that can free up a lot of room.  You can install non-Steam games to the hard drive no problem just like TheBeast said.  

Also if you've got a Steam game installed that you don't play very much right click it and click backup.  You can burn the backup onto a disc or shuck it on an external hard drive and then delete the Steam copy.  You can reinstall the game super fast if you go into the backup and click restore.  Reinstalling Half Life Episode 2 took about 5 minutes which is a lot better than redownloading it.  Just remember to keep a copy of your savegames.  I'm not sure I trust Steam backup that much.

If you've already bought an external your best bet is to free up room in other ways than trying to get around the Steam bug

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.