Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Endless Ocean: Blue World

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 22, 2010

The Nintendo Wii-exclusive sequel to Endless Ocean; an aquatic simulator based on real-life scuba diving.

Japanese Endless Ocean 2 Official Site Opens

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

Nintendo has initiated it's promotional campaign for Forever Blue: Umi no Yobi Koe. The sequel to what we know as Endless Ocean.

The company opened an official site for the game today. The site currently has little information on the game apart from the following snippets:

The game's storyline surrounds a dragon song which, according to legend, brings bad luck to anyone who hears it. This legend is repeated in various lands throughout the Pacific Rim. There's a theory that the song is infact a key to a legendary treasure. As a result, divers hoping to obtain the treasure seek out the song in order to decipher it.

The underwater adventure begins when you take possession of a pendant. This ends up leading you on a search throughout the world's seas.The key word for Forever Blue 2 appears to be "world." You'll be able to experience diving in lakes and rivers throughout the world. The site mentions ancient cities under the sea, great rivers which flow through dense forests, and icy seas in the arctic.

Like the original game, Forever Blue 2 will offer Wi-Fi play for up to two players, however, unlike the original this sequel will now support full Voice Chat via Nintendo's Wii Speak devicem, allowing divers to chat as they explore underwater realms with friends.

Forever Blue: Umi no Yobi Koe, hits Japan on September 1, priced at ¥5,800

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By keyhunter

I hope the pretty singing lady from the first one makes a return.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

Her name's Haley Westenra, I think she's from New Zealand.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

Considering how nice the first one was, this one sounds even better.  I look forward to seeing how it plays.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seedofpower

Linkyshinks, I'm starting to see a trend with you.
    You love japanese games.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @Seedofpower said:
    " Linkyshinks, I'm starting to see a trend with you. You love japanese games. "
    Why wouldn't he?  I myself prefer Japanese games much, much more than Western ones.  I just wish they would bring out a new Freeloader so I could play my Japanese Wii imports again, as well as importing more.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seedofpower
    @oldschool said:
    "@Seedofpower said:
    Why wouldn't he?  I myself prefer Japanese games much, much more than Western ones.  I just wish they would bring out a new Freeloader so I could play my Japanese Wii imports again, as well as importing more.
    "

Not saying its a bad thing. I just noticed a preference.
    Toekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Toekomst

Houuu Wii Speak Support. Ha despite this game supporting I don't think i'll get the device, Skype call does the job fine enough.

Haley Westerna is indeed from New Zealand.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By c1337us

I didn't play the first one at all. It seems awesome, but not the kind of game I would get any long term enjoyment out of.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    @Seedofpower said:
    " @oldschool said:
    "@Seedofpower said:
    "
    Not saying its a bad thing. I just noticed a preference. "
    Sorry, I actually didn't mean to imply that it was - damn the loss of meaning in text  :-(    Linkyshinks and I are friends and we share a common taste in Japanese games.

@Al3xand3r said:
    " Stuff                      "
    Thanks man, I will get onto it  :-)
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @c1337us said:
    " I didn't play the first one at all. It seems awesome, but not the kind of game I would get any long term enjoyment out of. "

if your one of those gamers that likes to collect things, and have a fascination with marine life, you should find it compelling. Few games give you a true feeling of exploration like the original game on Wii does. Not one game I have played on 360 or PS3 has managed to create comparable experiences. I think that says a lot about little graphics matter. Not that the graphics are bad here of course. The game has some mesmerizing wtf moments, so good they will excite and drag you out of reality totally on occassion. 

The new Wii Speak functionlity should make it the perfect platform simply to chat to friends, but going on missions together will be even more fun this time around with this level of expected communication. After a while you get the collecting knack and appreciate learning about all these sea creatures, you soon realise it's a excellent way about learning about the ocean and it's many creatures. It's also pretty cool to just swim around and explore at your own leisure, while listening to your favourite music tracks loaded on your SD card I should add.

I would reccomend the game [****], it was always a budget game when it launched, but it's even cheaper these days.

The sequel should get 5/5 hopefully, if it improves on the original it should get that easily. EO is not really a traditional game, it wont appeal to everyone and it's hard to pidgeon-hole into a genre. All I do know is that the game is awesome. **** 4/5

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By c1337us
    @Linkyshinks: It does sound real good, I might have to give it a try. My Wii just sits in my TV unit looking sad at me these days because I have been so preoccupied with playing Persona 3 for the last 3 weeks or so. I did buy Broken Sword and The Conduit recently but have yet to turn either of them on for lack of motivation to play them. Something I could just switch on and chill out with could be the ticket.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yeah it is, see if you can pick it up on the cheap, I did and certainly don't regret it. It's easily a 8-9 game, more suited to a patient gamer who has a thing for nature and discovery.  

Endless Ocean 2 

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#14  Edited By strangeling
    @Seedofpower said:
    "Not saying its a bad thing. I just noticed a preference. "
    But that obviously makes him biased against non-japanese games!

I only just got the first Endless Ocean, and need to play it.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By c1337us

I usually import from www.play-asia.com but it's kind of steep on there for what I would expect to pay for a Wii game in Aussie dollars. I'll have to keep hunting around on the net. In the meantime on of my local EB's has 1 pre-owned copy of the oringal in stock. I am about to leave work, do you reckon it would be worth checking out the original still or wait and go straight for the sequel.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @c1337us said:
    " I usually import from www.play-asia.com but it's kind of steep on there for what I would expect to pay for a Wii game in Aussie dollars. I'll have to keep hunting around on the net. In the meantime on of my local EB's has 1 pre-owned copy of the oringal in stock. I am about to leave work, do you reckon it would be worth checking out the original still or wait and go straight for the sequel. "

Get a PAL copy from Amazon UK.  If you can get a copy cheap, I wouldn't pass it up. if not, wait on the sequel.

[What are you guys on about, there's no preference at all...]

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By c1337us

Yeh play-asia has been good to my in most cases in the past but I feel they might be trying to take me for a ride this time. Might go for a drive to Habortown EB and see if they still have that copy of the original in stock. If not I'll just hang tight and wait for the sequel to become availble. Thanks for the info.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @c1337us said:
    " Yeh play-asia has been good to my in most cases in the past but I feel they might be trying to take me for a ride this time. Might go for a drive to Habortown EB and see if they still have that copy of the original in stock. If not I'll just hang tight and wait for the sequel to become availble. Thanks for the info. "
    I got mine cheap on clearance from KMart a long time ago (about $20) and to be honest, I rarely see a copy in Australian stores.  Second hand at EB might be the go, but it might not be that cheap.

On checking, Playasia don't sell it anymore - out of print, but the Japanese version is $19.  However, the Canadian site dvdboxoffice.com has it for for $38 ($42 Au) which I still think is a bit steep.

@Linkyshinks said:
    " [What are you guys on about, there's no preference at all...]"
    I think the proper terminology would be "interest" in all things good no matter where they come from   :-)
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By c1337us
    @oldschool: Yeh EB Habortown has a pre-owned copy for less then $40.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks

New Screens

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By CowMuffins

Forever Blue is a way better name than "Endless Ocean".

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @CowMuffins said:
    " Forever Blue is a way better name than "Endless Ocean". "

Yea, I prefer it also. But I don't like the way the Japanese guy in the advert says it.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks

It looks nice and colourful, but it's hard to compliment the graphics any further when they're so small.

Locations look pretty cool and realistic, I like the accurate modeling of sea anemones, corals and seaweeds, It's also nice to finally see the arctic under ice diving, and swimming with Manatees. In Florida I think. I recognize those odd looking mineral formations from the Everglades, those are believed to be the first living organisms on the planet - prehistoric shallow seas were once littered with them. I hope they give users a good run down of information when touched.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Alex_V

Looking forward to the sequel. The big improvement that I would like to see is the plant life documented in the same way as the animal life.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By GunnBjorn
    @Toekomst said:
    "Houuu Wii Speak Support. Ha despite this game supporting I don't think i'll get the device, Skype call does the job fine enough.Haley Westerna is indeed from New Zealand."

Hey Future, 

You must be Dutch dude.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " There are some new images on the website, just click where it blinks "new" two or three times then it will have a couple of half-pages with thumbnails to click and view in a slightly larger size. Good stuff, just too small. "
    A third page is on there now :-)

Yay, treasure hunting in shipwrecks :-)
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkyshinks

A new trailer has been released: 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

New footage is great, nice to see improvements in the details, like animated anemones and the boat movement with the waves etc.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks

Soft body physics seemed to have improved greatly over the first game.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By mikemcn
    @oldschool said:
    "Considering how nice the first one was, this one sounds even better.  I look forward to seeing how it plays. "

It was good? I almost bought it but decided against it because it seemed like there was no point to the gameplay. I assuming you liked it then?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Al3xand3r
     @Linkyshinks said:

A new trailer has been released:

The website
    has also been completely redone by the way.
    The first button leads to an area with several short gameplay clips.
    The second button leads to an area with the character bios and some screenshots on the second tab.
    The third button leads to a globe with some of the available locations and screenshots from each of them.

Good stuff, explore it. The front page has Hayley Westenra again, yay :-)

Edit: You may have to refresh the front page once if it doesn't load the first time. After that, you don't have to go back to it, the little tab-like buttons on the top of each section do the same functions as the large buttons on the front page. Yeah, I just quoted you for no real reason :P

Edit #2: My bad that song isn't Hayley. It's " One World" by Celtic Woman. Very fitting also though :-)
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Linkyshinks

Thanks, I will check it out now.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Al3xand3r

Had to replace the last 2 vids because youtube deleted them:

Well, only one is back up by another user, the "experience" video's still unavailable. Still, watch this. Whale eating fish!
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Linkyshinks

The oversea sections look as weak and ugly as they did in the orginal game. The all round presentaion values are OK, but the quality seems to drops in places, like the text at some points.. Aside from both of those things, I think it looks great. I still think this game will be better if Nintendo takes full control of it someday, I think Arika have taken this as far as they can.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Linkyshinks

That experience footage looks awesome, I love the look of the Whale sharks, and the Hammerheads and penguins look cool. If that's prehistoric frilled shark in the video that's cool also.  I would hope there are more rare fish like that included into the game.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Al3xand3r
    More screens here, a whale vs a squid! This page shows some of the mission types I think, if anyone can translate. Based on the map it shows in one of the images, I guess each of the settings the globe page has (aegean sea, which looks close to me based on the mark, river, arctic, pacific, whatever) will have an area similar to the first game's whole fictional area. It would have been sweet if they left room in the globe for future DLC to add new areas to visit but I doubt it's within the scope of this game. Maybe in a sequel (please make this one sell better).

A few more short video clips were added to this page showing some extra tools. A scanner to help you find items, and a tool that looks like what they used to calm hostile animals in a trailer, except in this case it seems to be some sort of vaccine since it says something about a cure.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r

Another commercial:

Famitsu reviewed Endless Ocean 2 with a 9/9/9/9, 36/40. The original had  10/8/9/8, 35/40. I think they overrated the original a bit, hopefully the second is much better and only has a similar score for being too similar, and not quite as new concept anymore. I'm getting it anyway.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40  Edited By Black_Rose

I can't wait for this, I played a good 28 hours of the original and hopefully this keeps me busy for much more time. ^_^

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Al3xand3r

It seems to have more variety in missions, more places to visit (I'm not sure but I think each of the different settings it has to visit is about as big as the whole area of the first game, going by a map snapshot), and more densely populated areas, so yeah, it should last longer :-)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Black_Rose

" I can't wait for this, I played a good 28 hours of the original and hopefully this keeps me busy for much more time. ^_^ "

I think we can now hang onto whales and chat on Wii speak, while listening to music.

Wii Speak chat by the looks of things

New improved photo mode

Easier menus, shame about the use of neon pink

Over sea sections look just as terrible as they did in the first game...

More ruins exploration..

Field selection

The Amazon river

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43  Edited By Black_Rose

*dies from massive orgasm after watching the pictures*

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Al3xand3r

The dangerous crab is a crocodile icon... The crocodile is in front of him...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Linkyshinks

O' yea, lol.  

I had just woken up when I checked my news feed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.