Anybody else playing this fo free this weekend?

#1 Posted by BisonHero (7057 posts) -

I've been sort of eyeing Endless Space since the Quick Look, so this is the first Steam free weekend promotion I've taken advantage of in a while. I'm liking it so far, though I'm bumbling my way through easy because there are still a few systems I don't quite follow, and unfortunately there isn't a robust in-game manual/wiki. The tech tree upgrades don't correlate to much in the way of visual upgrades, but I appreciate all the flavour text. In general, I like the look of the game, and all the different traits the planets randomly have. For reference, the only other 4X I've played is the Civ series.

#2 Posted by MB (13134 posts) -

I'm trying to play it but I don't know what to do, really. I thought about watching some YouTube tutorials then decided that was way too much effort and gave up.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by BeachThunder (12428 posts) -

I would like to, but I don't really like having to deal with free weekends. I'd rather wait until it's much cheaper and then play it in my own time.

#4 Posted by BisonHero (7057 posts) -
@MB

I'm trying to play it but I don't know what to do, really. I thought about watching some YouTube tutorials then decided that was way too much effort and gave up.

It seemed to learn some things from Civ 5 in terms of nudging the player with a sort of to-do list, but it's not quite as user friendly as something like Civ 5 or XCOM. For example, in Endless Space, the scout ship I think most species start with technically has guns, but you should always retreat from fights with it because it has no chance. You don't even realize how poorly armed it is until you look at your other ship options, which may not be the first thing a new player does.
#5 Posted by datarez (575 posts) -

I played about 7 hours of it over the free weekend. At first I was having a lot of fun but I kept running into problems where I was failing but I couldn't tell why. First it was all the fights against the pirates. I was using the defender ships but they were just getting pummeled. I had gotten the skill to get the new ships and couldn't figure out why they weren't showing up, turned out I had to create a loadout first. Eh. Then in another game I played as Horatio since they were expansionist by their description. Then my systems kept going on strike because I was getting a negative 44% for too much expansion. Didn't make sense for that race. The final straw was when I couldn't several fleets to move. They would outline the path but nothing would happen, just no go. I got frustrated with the lack of feedback and gave up.

It's a shame because I was having fun with it when I thought I was understanding what was going on. I feel it's just missing that extra bit of feedback in, "Hey you're getting murdered here, why not try this." that some games genres can be excessive with but I feel is needed in a game like this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.