Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Endless Space

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 04, 2012

A 4X space strategy game by ex-Ubisoft and EA developers, in the spirit of the Master of Orion franchise.

Balancing issues.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By senorfuzzeh

I noticed that there were quite a few changes with the balancing in the new updates that came out awhile ago. Does anyone know if the AI is still crazily overpowered?

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I used to think that the AI was overpowered as well - it turns out I just wasn't playing properly. Being a long-time 4x strategy gamer, I thought I knew what I was doing, but I missed a key piece of the Endless Space early game: build up, not out. As soon as I stopped colonizing every system I could and focused on picking 2-3 great ones instead, everything clicked. It's all about population, not planets.

So give it shot! Be careful not to overexpand early, and use your influence radius to lock down systems for later colonization. I've also found that grabbing an Administrator and grabbing the flat +food bonuses can help get you going in a big way.

So no, I don't think the AI is unfairly strong - it's just good and will punish you if you let it.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I used to think that the AI was overpowered as well - it turns out I just wasn't playing properly. Being a long-time 4x strategy gamer, I thought I knew what I was doing, but I missed a key piece of the Endless Space early game: build up, not out. As soon as I stopped colonizing every system I could and focused on picking 2-3 great ones instead, everything clicked. It's all about population, not planets.

Oh man, really? I always sucked so bad at this game, and there were people in the forums talking about how easy it is to win against the hardest AIs - I was sitting there thinking, "I can't even beat the easiest!" Ended up resorting to playing the game with win conditions off to survive longer. If this advice is true... I might have to go back to it.

Game is great even if it is unbalanced.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@chavtheworld: yep do as he says above, it's all about building yourself up in the early game then you can branch out with a mighty fleet. The games is fantastic, it took over my CIv 5 playing after I got it during the steam sell. Not to mention the devs add stuff in constantly in patches for free

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Yeah, the dev support is fantastic, though I find it bittersweet, in that while it's what gamers wish every game would do, it's a terrible business model. All you're doing is just adding in a bunch of stuff for free for people who have already bought it, and not a lot of revenue is coming in to cover the dev costs of patching the game with new stuff.

Sure, Endless Space sells well during Steam sales, but so does almost any game that isn't utter garbage, regardless of whether it had free stuff added or not. I feel the same way about Awesomenauts, which is a fun, lighter version of a DotA-clone; I love the game, but dear god, even with the character skins you can buy, I don't know how the devs are getting any revenue to keep designing and animating new characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.