Before I buy...

#1 Edited by senorfuzzeh (385 posts) -

Edit: (Crap I don't know why it Double Posted...)

Hey there Giant Bomb community. I need some help since none of my friends seem to play strategy games and wouldn't even know the difference between Starcraft and a Total War game.

Anyway, I've been thinking about buying Endless Space for a little while now. It looks like a very itnersting Sci-Fi Strategy game. But I've never played a 4X game before, Unless you count some of the Civilization games as 4X games. I saw on one of the reviews the critic compared it to Civ 5. How much is it like The Civilization series? If I've played a lot of strategy games in the past will this be something easy to get into?

Also on a side note, would anyone recommond buying Sins of a Solar Empire too? Or maybe Sins is better than this Endless Space all together. Anyway Thanks folks. :)

#2 Posted by Jimbo (9881 posts) -

If you can play Civ V you aren't going to struggle too much with Endless Space. Fundamentally, it's simplified Civ in space. I don't rate Sins personally, and it isn't all that similar to Endless Space (Sins is real-time for a start).

I don't think Endless Space is all that great either mind, BUT if you're looking for something just to ease you into the genre, I think it would do that pretty well.

#3 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

If you can play Civ V you aren't going to struggle too much with Endless Space. Fundamentally, it's simplified Civ in space. I don't rate Sins personally, and it isn't all that similar to Endless Space (Sins is real-time for a start).

I don't think Endless Space is all that great either mind, BUT if you're looking for something just to ease you into the genre, I think it would do that pretty well.

Accurate, except I'm really enjoying it, though I don't know if I'd say simplified. It behaves pretty much the same as Civ V in the same way that you can have the game take the reigns for micromanagement, or you can do it all yourself to maximize your returns or playstyle.

Both ES and Sins are solid games, but the similarities are mostly in the aesthetics. If you want a blend of both, Legends of Pegasus looks like it might do that. It's real time like Sins, but with a more robust economy and diplomacy system. This is all speculation though, but it looks pretty interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.