Oh the Pirates!

#1 Posted by gaminghooligan (1407 posts) -

Woe to me, my great Empire has fallen to pirate scum, I'm playing this 4X on normal and I am usually good with 4X games. After hearing on the Bombcast that Brad had seen forum posts about ES's difficulty being wonky. I assume there is some validity to that, but does anyone have a race or good strat to fight pirates on the normal difficulty? I feel like I never get to progress because the pirates wipe out half my fleet pre-contact with most of the other races.

#2 Edited by Nentisys (886 posts) -

@gaminghooligan said:

Woe to me, my great Empire has fallen to pirate scum, I'm playing this 4X on normal and I am usually good with 4X games. After hearing on the Bombcast that Brad had seen forum posts about ES's difficulty being wonky. I assume there is some validity to that, but does anyone have a race or good strat to fight pirates on the normal difficulty? I feel like I never get to progress because the pirates wipe out half my fleet pre-contact with most of the other races.

Use missiles or beams and just smash them before they can do major damage with their kinetics (which are best in the last phase of combat). Use anti-kinetic armor on your ships. This is generally a good ship build for early / midgame anyway since the AI still has a really high chance of using projectiles, so you will wipe the floor with them too.

#3 Posted by gaminghooligan (1407 posts) -

awesome! I'll def have to give that a try.

#4 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

You can turn off pirates.

#5 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

@mosdl said:

You can turn off fun too while you are at it.

#6 Edited by Veektarius (4590 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

@mosdl said:

You can turn off fun too while you are at it.

I didn't see that option

I learned last night that you can prevent pirates but not leaving systems unwatched, which means either inhabited or patrolled.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.