Enslaved only sold 460k copies...worldwide.

• 134 results
#1 Posted by dagas (2746 posts) -
#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Hopefully capcom starts getting cold feet with these guys now.

#3 Posted by Eaxis (899 posts) -

I bought it. Great game.
#4 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

:(

#5 Posted by hedfone (1749 posts) -

:)

#6 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -

:|

#7 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I'm surprised it sold that many.

#8 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

did they turn a profit with it?

#9 Edited by zameer (605 posts) -

Not many people can get past the fact that you're playing as some weird monkey dude.  

It wasn't well received either here in Asia because well... it came across as a bastardization of a really revered epic novel. It's a bit of a shame though, it was a pretty great game.

#10 Posted by dagas (2746 posts) -
#11 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5380 posts) -

That sucks. :(  Ninja Theory is a great studio and Enslaved is a great game. I'm glad that they are already working on another project, though (Devil May Cry).

#12 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Hopefully capcom starts getting cold feet with these guys now. "
What you say doesn't make sense. Ninja Theory did an excellent job with Enslaved, it's just that most gamers, nowadays, don't buy games that doesn't have a competitive half-assed MP in it. That's why. Capcom picked the right dev team for DMC.
#13 Posted by VetleNM (84 posts) -

Ouch, that's a real shame. Guess that kills any hope of more DLC down the line...

Such an underrated and overlooked game.

#14 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I feel really sorry for em. It looks like they've got a lot of great energy and passion for making unique games at Ninja Theory. It's a shame it's not really paying off for them so much.

#15 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

460k might not be that bad. What was the budget?

#16 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -
#17 Posted by Cameron (595 posts) -

460 thousand copies isn't bad for a small title. It's not like they spent much money marketing it. It might not be a huge success, but it's probably not a huge financial failure either.

#18 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

That is a huge shame. Not only was it a thoroughgoly ambitious project, but it also turned out to be a pretty great game (With an amazing DLC add-on). 
But it was a brand new IP which kind of got lost in the shuffle. 

At least it proved that Ninja Theory is a studio with a lot of talent and a very promising future

#19 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Was it even marketed well?

#20 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

Is 460.000 really "that" bad for this game?

#21 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
Care to elaborate as to why?
#22 Posted by Soap (3565 posts) -
@Dany said:
" Was it even marketed well? "
I don't think so, I'm not even sure if it had any TV commercials here in the UK. I'm pretty bummed out that it failed so hard as it was a great game. 
#23 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Ineedaname
@KaosAngel said:
Care to elaborate as to why?
Did you see the new fake Dante?! Even the DMC creators are pissed.
#24 Posted by EuanDewar (4761 posts) -

Quality does not equal success. Sure plenty of good games have sold well but thats not how it works. Also come on, this game was never going to be huge.
#25 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

That sucks for them.

But I can't say I was all that interested in Enslaved.

#26 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

It looks like a fun game. However since its a single player game. I'm not rushing out to get it. I'll pick it for cheap and enjoy just the same even if its five years from now.

#27 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -

It's unfortunate, but I'm not all that surprised the game sold with middling success.  It has a great narrative, but the character action portion of the game isn't amazing, so I can see why people are a little hesitant to pick up an ~8 hour single player game with little replay value.  I really enjoyed my time with the game and I'd really like other people to play it to experience what Ninja Theory did here, but it'll probably become one of those hidden gems that pick up over the years.

#28 Posted by Jeust (10480 posts) -

I'm going to buy it still. 

#29 Posted by supermike6 (3540 posts) -

This makes me glad I made sure to buy it instead of rent it. That game was awesome, it deserved more sales than it got.

#30 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
@Ineedaname said:
" @KaosAngel said:
Care to elaborate as to why? "
Dude, don't get into KaosAngel's creepy fetishistic fanboy nuthuggings about stuff like the dude behind Versus XIII, GT5 or Dante as a character.
#31 Posted by Chris2KLee (2329 posts) -

Just bought a copy for $20. It looked like a great game when it came out, but I had so many games at the time I just couldn't get it.

#32 Posted by LackingSaint (1772 posts) -

Once i've got other stuff out of the way i'm making sure to get Enslaved, if only to help support the success of games that aren't realistic shooters.

#33 Posted by MatPaget (1113 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
Im sure a Devil May Cry game will sell more than Enslaved just on the fact that it's Devil May Cry
#34 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -
#35 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -
@nick_verissimo: Pretty much spot on. Combine that with (from what I recall) no strong marketing campaign and you have a recipe for average performer.  

Luckily for them, I think the game will continue to sell as word gets around, especially with the price drop. Anyone who expected it to do gangbusters was crazy though. 
#36 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@Ineedaname said:
" @KaosAngel said:
Care to elaborate as to why? "
Because their games are pathetic even by Western beat 'em up standards, and their DmC will, if their track record is indication, be the next DMC2 in everything but graphics.
#37 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

Very sad. Not only was it one of my favs of 2010, but now there's a small chance for a sequel :(

Hopefully DMC is great ,and sells well...

#38 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

It wasn't marketed very well. Marketing is a key point in making sales. I would have probably not noticed the game if the reviwers hadn't talked it up what little bit they did

#39 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Meh, it wasn't a very good game anyways. Plus if Ninja Theory goes out of business, then that means no crappy new DmC, right? :)

#40 Posted by hencook (175 posts) -
@Icemael:

Yeah, they don't even deserve to have good sales with DMC. Heavenly Sword was a dismal color coded beatem up... You'd think Capcom learned by now to do some background checks on the people they outsource to.

#41 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1106 posts) -
Bummer. Not that I've played any of it, but it looks kinda interesting.

@TeflonBilly:  I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
#42 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4886 posts) -
#43 Posted by GunstarRed (5032 posts) -

They should have never released it in the middle of so many other games coming out, The game is good, not  some masterpiece that nobody played.  It has a ton of issues that are highlighted the more times you play through it. It would have been nice for them to expand on some of the ideas they had for it as theres a bunch of originality in it's design and world, I doubt there will ever be a sequel now though.
#44 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -
@dagas: thats so bad considering how good this game was.
#45 Posted by swamplord666 (1757 posts) -

That really sucks :(  
On the other hand, i will say that although the character interaction is unmatched, There are alot of things that annoy me about the game.

#46 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Klei said:
" @KaosAngel said:
What you say doesn't make sense. Ninja Theory did an excellent job with Enslaved, it's just that most gamers, nowadays, don't buy games that doesn't have a competitive half-assed MP in it. That's why. Capcom picked the right dev team for DMC. "
Very much this. 
#47 Posted by onarum (2016 posts) -

yep, because it didn't involved shooting dudes in the face, secret stuff and nuclear weapons......

#49 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

I only heard about this game by word of mouth and still plan to play it at some point. I think that's the case with a lot of people, and considering there was basically no marketing behind it (that I know of), 460,000 might be good? I mean selling 1 or 2 million copies is usually considered doing quite well on major titles, so half a mil on a minor title (though what seems to be a good one!) seems pretty good to me. I'm sure if it hadn't done well enough Capcom wouldn't have given them the DMC franchise to work with.

#50 Posted by RoboRobb (1051 posts) -

I thought this game was cool, apart from the bewildering ending.... it deserved at least 1million sales in my opinion..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.