Enslaved only sold 460k copies...worldwide.

• 134 results
#101 Posted by Icemael (6363 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton said:
" @KaosAngel said:

"Hopefully capcom starts getting cold feet with these guys now. "

Wow... Their games don't sell well but they are obviously good games, unlike the latest Devil May Cry games. "
Maybe if things like camera, framerate and combat system don't matter to you.
#102 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Jrad: Persona is a weeaboo game, and they buy them regardless.   It's more surprising it didn't sell more than that.  EDIT:  No offense to that stereotype, not that anyone here is like that. "
Thats actually very unfair Kaos. It's a JRPG from ATLUS and after Persona 3 getting soooo much covering it's not surprising Persona 4 sold as much.
#103 Posted by Evilsbane (4735 posts) -
#104 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

@Lazyaza said:

" Yeah read this news a little while ago, makes me angry at the general gaming populace.   I now understand the frustration of people who loved games like Beyond Good and Evil, Ico, Psychonaughts etc.    It is a great game with a good story, great characters, amazing art direction and a tonne of fun gameplay to be had.  Yes its simple and hand holdy but that is NO REASON not to buy it, its a fucking awesome game. "

Pretty much agree with everything you've said right there.

@PrimeSynergy said:

" @Icemael said:

" @Catolf said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Ineedaname said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" Hopefully capcom starts getting cold feet with these guys now. "
Care to elaborate as to why? "
Because their games are pathetic even by Western beat 'em up standards, and their DmC will, if their track record is indication, be the next DMC2 in everything but graphics. "
No they aren't, Enslaved despite it's faults was and is a good game. "
It's a shallow, tedious, boring game. "
THIS. It has a good story and characters, but the game itself is boring. "
  No.. I don't know how you can say it was boring, if your thinking of a different game then fine but in no way is this game boring, now can the combat be frustirating, yes it can but it's easily looked over for a fun and a great storyline and characters.

You want boring play a sim game about being a fisherman. There is your boring.
#105 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

460 thousand copies isnt good enough for a short weird console exclusive ? 

hmm

#106 Posted by septim (774 posts) -

I tend to blame the gaming press for this one. I listen to a few podcasts, and they are all were very dismissive about Enslaved or didn't mention it at all. Then after it releases they all sing Enslaved's praises and bemoan the fact that no one bought it.

With a little smart marketing and the proper coverage this game could have been a hit.

#107 Posted by CarpetRemnant (375 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @Catolf said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Ineedaname said:
" @KaosAngel said:
Because their games are pathetic even by Western beat 'em up standards, and their DmC will, if their track record is indication, be the next DMC2 in everything but graphics. "
Are you talking about Enslaved or the Devil May Cry series?
#108 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

PC gamers would've eaten a game like this right up especially with the support of things like Steam sales, but Namco Bandai doesn't like to make money apparently. 

#109 Posted by Meltac (2007 posts) -

The game was great, and so was the story and overall experience. Hopefully they will give Ninja Theory a chance to make up for the less better parts, by letting them make a sequel. 

#110 Posted by Jeffsekai (7052 posts) -

People don't flock to new IP that has zero replay value. More news at 11.

#111 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -
@Leakster said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Catolf said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Ineedaname said:
" @KaosAngel said:
Are you talking about Enslaved or the Devil May Cry series? "
BOOM
#112 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

Is anyone really that surprised by this?  When Brad brought up this game on the bombcast a week or so after release I had NO IDEA what he was talking about.

God's gift to gaming isn't enough to overcome a terrible marketing campaign.  Just a reality of the industry.

#113 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@dagas said:

" Kane & Lynch 2 sold 1m    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-03-kane-and-lynch-2-dog-days-sells-a-million I've not played either game, but I think it's fair to say that Enslaved deserved better than Kane & Lynch. "

It sold almost half as much as Kane & Lynch 2? That doesn't sound all that bad, to be honest. K&L2 is a bigger game, and more people knew about it. It may surprise some Giant Bomb users, but there were people who liked the original and would have been anticipating a sequel. By comparison Enslaved is a new property, and there was very little buzz.
#114 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Bought it, haven't played it yet.

#115 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

It was primarily a marketing fail, and the game had little to no replay value so that didn't help either. Still, I got around to playing it this year and it was easily one of my favorite titles of 2010. The story, voice work and character interaction were really good. Trip, Monkey and Pigsy are some really well realized characters.

#116 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

i finished it about a month ago or so and loved every minute, fantastic game.

#117 Posted by 1337W422102 (1020 posts) -

DAT TRIP
A friend of mine really enjoyed it and I wanted to check it out.  I'd have bought a PC version if they'd made one.

#118 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -
@Geno said:

" PC gamers would've eaten a game like this right up especially with the support of things like Steam sales, but Namco Bandai doesn't like to make money apparently.  "

I would have loved to buy this on PC. The demo gave me a great impression and really was wowed by the visuals. I would like to see it all extra pretty.

Also that game is unreal right? I find it funny there wasn't much praise about the environments and how they changed the general feel from your typical Unreal game. Bulletstorm comes along and now people take notice. Of course that got far and away more marketing than Enslaved ever saw. 
#119 Posted by KneelBeforeZott (32 posts) -
@VetleNM said:

Such an underrated and overlooked game.

^ that.  Lovely game.  I really liked the characters, and some of the quieter cutscenes gave them a depth that was really surprising.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Enchanted.
#120 Posted by Sneakybadger (226 posts) -

I feel bad for renting it, Twas a good game, albeit short.

#121 Posted by jozzy (2035 posts) -

I have to admit I rented it. It is a great game but short with almost no replayability, pretty much the perfect rental.

#122 Edited by ProfessorEss (7505 posts) -

I bought it last week for 20 bucks.
It was fun, but I would'nt have been very happy had I spent 70 bucks on it.

Ninja Theory knows how to put all the window dressing together no doubt. They have everything it takes to make a "Triple A" game EXCEPT for their gameplay department. Sure it's not horrible but it's certainly nothing above mediocre and unfortunately for them their outstanding production values just make the gameplay issues stand out that much more.

Still, good game, kinda made me interested to see what happens with the new DMC cause they definitely know how to write, act and animate with the best of them.

#123 Edited by NoCookiesForYou (764 posts) -

Didn't plan on buying it, but it was on sale a while back so i grabbed it and i really liked it. Likeable and well written characters, the gameworld looks really cool and i dont know if it's just me, but the facial animation stuff looked great, i was actually a little suprised by how well it was done. Shame it didn't sell that well. 

I'll have to say this though, the PS3 version is one of the worst ports i've ever seen. Some of the cutscenes suffer from pretty bad framerate issues and the more hectic battles aren't exactly smooth sailing.  
Still i don't regret my decision to buy it.

#124 Edited by Undeadpool (4996 posts) -

That's what you get when you make a unique, interesting game with an under-sexualized female lead: it doesn't get marketed since you can't really do it justice in 30 seconds.
Glad they're getting more work with DMC, but Capcom's taking a pretty big risk (and I'm kinda shocked seeing as how they're BIG proponents of endless iterations).

#125 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

I loved this game. This makes me all sorts of sad-panda.

#126 Posted by ProfessorEss (7505 posts) -

@Undeadpool said:

" That's what you get when you make a unique, interesting game with an under-sexualized female lead: it doesn't get marketed since you can't really do it justice in 30 seconds.Glad they're getting more work with DMC, but Capcom's taking a pretty big risk (and I'm kinda shocked seeing as how they're BIG proponents of endless iterations). "

I got my fingers crossed that this collab will work out good for both of them.
If Capcom can help Ninja Theory take their gameplay to the next level DMC has the potential to be great.
We'll see.
#127 Posted by csl316 (9413 posts) -

Finally finished the game last night (I actually beat the first half twice since my save got corrupted).  Looking back, it really was a good time with plenty of memorable moments.  A bit too much climbing around, but at least it let you soak in the environments.

And I actually liked the ending.  Unexpected and sorta strange, but intriguing and visually cool.

#128 Posted by Grimace (376 posts) -

I for one, am shocked to find out a new IP that was given zero advertising, boasting repetitive, simple gameplay and had a lifespan of about 4 hours including one of the worst endings in videogame history didn't sell well.

#129 Posted by 1337W422102 (1020 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @Geno said:

" PC gamers would've eaten a game like this right up especially with the support of things like Steam sales, but Namco Bandai doesn't like to make money apparently.  "

I would have loved to buy this on PC. The demo gave me a great impression and really was wowed by the visuals. I would like to see it all extra pretty.  Also that game is unreal right? I find it funny there wasn't much praise about the environments and how they changed the general feel from your typical Unreal game. Bulletstorm comes along and now people take notice. Of course that got far and away more marketing than Enslaved ever saw.  "
Agreed!  I hope it becomes a cult classic.  Maybe then it'll get some respect.

@LordAndrew said:
" @dagas said:

" Kane & Lynch 2 sold 1m    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-03-kane-and-lynch-2-dog-days-sells-a-million I've not played either game, but I think it's fair to say that Enslaved deserved better than Kane & Lynch. "

It sold almost half as much as Kane & Lynch 2? That doesn't sound all that bad, to be honest. K&L2 is a bigger game, and more people knew about it. It may surprise some Giant Bomb users, but there were people who liked the original and would have been anticipating a sequel. By comparison Enslaved is a new property, and there was very little buzz. "
To be fair, it's a lot easier to market an action-oriented cover-based third-person co-op shooter, no?  And Dog Days is surprisingly fun, especially when playing with a friend.  Improved greatly on the first one.
#130 Posted by HadesTimes (827 posts) -

That's crazy, I bought the game at Christmas, it was like $17, why wouldn't you buy it?

#131 Posted by Kiro (288 posts) -

Considering the zero marketing for this game, 460k seems reasonable.

#132 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -
@KaosAngel: sales dont mean that the game was bad. in fact it reviewed quite well. 
#133 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -
@Kiro said:
" Considering the zero marketing for this game, 460k seems reasonable. "
This.
#134 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

A lot of people are saying it got no marketing but it had it's fair share of the ads here in Scotland. Still sad to see it do that poorly though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.