Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an action adventure game developed by Ninja Theory and published by Namco-Bandai. A very loose retelling of "Journey to the West," Enslaved follows the story of Monkey and Trip as they attempt to cross a post-apocalyptic Planet Earth.

Enslaved- this year's Psychonauts?

vasylkoB317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vasylkoB317

I've been watching a few of the video game reviews for Enslaved on the various sights and noticed that a good majority of them say that despite being a linear experience, with nothing outside the main game, that it is a wonderfully crafted game, a beautifully realized world, and a human element not usually found in games. To me this screams a game that should be played, but won't simply because of the number of sequels yet to come out (Fallout, Call of Duty, Gran Turismo), and its hard to find the extra 60 dollars lying around for something unfamiliar. I know that this game is entirely different in tone from Psychonauts, but I believe it has similarities due to the tone of the response of the reviewers. What are your thoughts about Enslaved? Do you think it will be a critics darling and have poor sales? Will you end up picking it up? I'm hoping to at some point. 

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By VisariLoyalist

No Caption Provided
    Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Espada12

I'll end up getting it cheap. I don't like how automated the game is (from the demo of course but that hasn't seemed to change in the full version) and how simple the combat is either.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IkariNoTekken

I know several people who work at retail websites and supposedly its hasn't been doing amazingly sales wise, but that might change over the next few weeks, who knows?

I personally didn't like the gameplay that much when I played the demo, however as someone who watched the TV series Monkey and researched and wrote about Journey to the West for a project years ago I am already interested in the fiction. Don't know whether that is enough to pull me in though, I'll have to re-download the demo and try it again I guess. I might end up just reading the Journey To The West novels I have instead.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Vorbis

It won't sell, no matter how amazing the story, world and characters are, it doesn't have multiplayer and the gameplay isn't deep enough. Which is exaclty my kind of game so I'm really looking forward to it, but the average CoD player, will try the demo, call it boring and go teabag someone online.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thehexeditor
    @Espada12 said:
    " I'll end up getting it cheap.
    This. I don't have the disposable income to afford a game that I'm only half-interested in and have absolutely no problem waiting for an inevitable price cut.
    Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Espada12
    @Vorbis said:
    " It won't sell, no matter how amazing the story, world and characters are, it doesn't have multiplayer and the gameplay isn't deep enough. Which is exaclty my kind of game so I'm really looking forward to it, but the average CoD player, will try the demo, call it boring and go teabag someone online. "
    Haha this is funny considering my post and avatar :P
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Vorbis
    @Espada12:  lol, no offense meant, but it's a new IP from a developer who hasn't really proven themselves, people will be skeptical. It seems more of a Brad game than a Jeff game, put it that way.
    Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Espada12
    @Vorbis said:
    " @Espada12:  lol, no offense meant, but it's a new IP from a developer who hasn't really proven themselves, people will be skeptical. It seems more of a Brad game than a Jeff game, put it that way. "
    None taken, I just thought it was hilarious! I like games like these, but they normally aren't worth the full price tag for me, so I will skip it for now.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By benjaebe

I bought it (PS3) and while I haven't played much, I'm really enjoying it. Really great voice/mocap work and the story and character interaction is really good.

LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By LlamaLlama

Waiting for my copy to arrive. Not use to action games, but it looks great.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I don't know, I'm not really buying all the hype. I get the feeling that if I end up buying it for the story (really the only thing that interests me about it) I'll end up getting dissapointed.

Maybe it's as good as the reviews say, but somehow I doubt it.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Omega

Looks more like Darksiders to me. What with all the destroyed, overgrown cityscapes.  

I hope its really good, but it will not likely be as beloved as Psychonauts.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chokobo

Haven't heard a single thing about this game.  Seemed a bit janky from the QL that they did.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By jkz

It's shipping in from Gamefly. I love the concept, the story, the art-design, and the tone, but given its brevity, and the relative shallowness of the game-play, I couldn't justify paying full price for it. 

I did pick up Castlevania: LOS though, which is pretty damn good so far. Screams GoW, but in a good way.

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By p_p_o_d

its more like this years heavanly sword.  (duh)

its a pretty but flawed action game.   

atleast enslaved seems to be longer then 4 hours.... thats something.   the pros of using UE3 and not develeping your own tech.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By csl316

I loved the cinematic aspect of Heavenly Sword, which instantly made me a fan of Ninja Theory.  I'll be getting Enslaved, because ever since Devil May Cry the 3D action genre has been one of my favorites.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @vasylkoB317:
    Where Psychonauts grabbed from the very beginning with its great art style and concept, along with its pedigree of who was behind it. Enslaved really did the opposite on all those things, Brad was saying how unique it was and all I could think about was how many times have I seen a city overgrown with plants in the far future...with robots. I give the most apathetic shrugs to the fact that Ninja Theory worked on it so I'm not impressed there either.  
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fjordson

I'm really, really enjoying it.

@Doctorchimp: Really? Most post-apocalyptic settings I encounter in games are all about brown, dark colors and desert-like surroundings. Basically following in Mad Max's footsteps. I'm quite enjoying the look of Enslaved by comparison. It's post-apocalyptic, but it's still extremely alive as far as its flora and really colorful looking.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By vidiot

I know my single little experience doesn't account for it's overall sales, but it was sold out for the 360 at the first store I stopped by to pick it up today. I'm pretty much expecting this game to not do well from a sales perspective, but a great demo and good reviews might actually give it a bounce that people weren't expecting. Unless people want to start comparing it to the likes of the other big-name holiday releases. It's hard to get a new IP off the ground these days :/

I've been enjoying it, even though mechanically it's a pretty bare-bones. I think the recent DMC snafu has made everyone kinda raise their expectations on the combat front of things, but it's clear that Enslaved isn't even close to a comparison so such perceptions and expectations are slightly skewed. But it still runs in the back of your mind no matter how well the presentation side of things is put together, which so far has been quite excellent.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By huntad

I might not get it right at first, but if I rent it and it's good, then sure. I just don't have a lot of money this year. :(

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

I guess your arbitrary connection works. But really any 2 things could be connected using this logical pathway.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Doctorchimp
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fjordson
    @Doctorchimp: I wasn't implying you did, simply saying that post-apocalyptic in games can often times be described by what I said.

And I Am Legend is a movie (?) and Mass Effect is anything but post-apocalyptic.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Fjordson: Again I was simply saying that the overgrown city look isn't unique to me, just cause it's on a post-apocalyptic planet in a game as oppose to a post-apocalyptic game isn't the point. 

The setting didn't draw me in like it did to you.
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By ptys

From the demo it looks and feels like the first game to be inspired, perhaps just in part, by Uncharted 2. Just an opinion, I could be way off!

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#27  Edited By Valkyr

I just watched  the gametrailers review, the dude didn't have a single complaint and it also says a lot of good things about it, amazing graphics, good combat, great story, etc but it ended up giving it a 8.2 so yes, reviewers are ruining this game sales a lot, having an incredible high metacritic score is very important for the first week sales, it makes your decide if you want to spend 60 bucks to play it NOW or wait till it gets a price cut or get it used later, but we all know that they make more money if we succumb to it now.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fjordson
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " @Fjordson: The setting didn't draw me in like it did to you. "
    That's fine. I'm just saying that it's something that isn't done much in games.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mcfart

Although I love games with a good story, I cannot get over the fact that the dude's name is "Monkey" and that the combat is simplistic. However, I will likely play this at some point when it's $15.

Swandre3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Swandre3000
    @vidiot: If you went to a Gamestop to try and find it, it wouldn't take much for it to be sold out... I know my store only got 3 copies for the 360 and 4 four the PS3 :/ 
    I've been trying to get people to pick up the game, but it's really hard to pitch a single-player only new IP when a slew of established sequels are right in the pipe (especially what we "affectionately" refer to as 'dat Duty is looming in the distance). The sales figures for this game are probably going to be a bummer :(
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @Vorbis said:
    " It won't sell, no matter how amazing the story, world and characters are, it doesn't have multiplayer and the gameplay isn't deep enough. Which is exaclty my kind of game so I'm really looking forward to it, but the average CoD player, will try the demo, call it boring and go teabag someone online. "
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Catolf
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " @Vorbis said:
    "
    We'll see..

I think it'll do better than expected. I plan to buy it but i'm not sure when I can, money is a bit tight.
    Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I have Castlevania, Halo: Reach and Enslaved, and so far; I enjoy Enslaved the most. Yay for a new IP!
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Meltac

This game is fucking brilliant! And it's such a shame it's not selling too well. Ninja Theory deserves it, because they have made a fantastic, emotional story, with some great characters that you really care for. You really hope that they will succeed. The best part is, that I'm not even half-way through it yet, and I'm already loving it, and the story it wants to tell. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By Hailinel

I wouldn't say it is, simply because I have yet to see evidence of Enslaved being hyped to Hell and back before crashing and burning in the sales charts.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By audiosnag

I don't think it's gonna sell super well, it's a new IP and there's a lot of competition.
    Which is disappointing, games like this deserve to sell. That being said i don't know if it's gonna resonate like Psychonauts but time will tell i guess.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By demontium
    @VisariLoyalist said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    this, because psychonauts rocks that game like you don't understand,   vasylkoB317 should leave and be a family man.
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#38  Edited By Davvyk

Ive got to say i think this is going to be a title that in 5 years time will be on the "great games nobody played" lists and il be the nerd going "ITS GREAT EVERYONE PLAY IT!" for the intervening time.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Grimace

This game should have come out before September or held off till December - theres too many games coming out right now or in the next couple of weeks for it to really make the impact some people think it deserves.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Enslaved is definitely no Psychonauts.

Honestly, the demo had some really cool moments, but I've generally been pretty turned off by most of what I've seen of this game. Once this game is in the $20-30 range (which I'm guessing will be pretty soon because I don't think this game has a very good chance of selling well), I may purchase it.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#41  Edited By Davvyk
    @Chaser324 said:
    " Enslaved is definitely no Psychonauts.  Honestly, the demo had some really cool moments, but I've generally been pretty turned off by most of what I've seen of this game. Once this game is in the $20-30 range (which I'm guessing will be pretty soon because I don't think this game has a very good chance of selling well), I may purchase it. "
    The QL and the demo turned me off but a friend picked it up in the end and hooooly hell am i glad he did. Its brilliant so dont judge it by the coverage so far like i did
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RVonE

The marketing push for this game also seems to be lacking.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Bought it day 1.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.