Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an action adventure game developed by Ninja Theory and published by Namco-Bandai. A very loose retelling of "Journey to the West," Enslaved follows the story of Monkey and Trip as they attempt to cross a post-apocalyptic Planet Earth.

First Impressions: Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Shadow71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 3

Edited By Shadow71

Being a pretty big fan of Heavenly Sword's amazing custcenes, graphics, and voice acting I was pretty excited for Enslaved, which naturally appeared to have the same attention to detail in all of those areas.  The gameplay is passable, and has it's problems...most of which you've probably heard in reviews already:

• The camera zooms in (uncomfortably) too close when fighting any enemies, which is very annoying when you're taking on 3 at a time, and attacking one all of a sudden puts the other two out of view.
    • The platforming isn't terrible, but it appears that gamers are wimps now, because you don't actually have to do any of it correctly, you walk to a ledge and hit "X", there is no way to jump and miss the next ledge, and no way for you to walk off an edge anywhere, the game holds your hand through every sequence. At least in Uncharted you could still die despite the game doing a heavy amount of the work for you.
    • The combat is still PRETTY good, they put in a nice good variety of different attacks that mix it up just enough. (Fast Attack, Strong Attack, Wide Attack, Charge up attack etc.)
    • And of course the story seems really cool so far, I'm really interested to see how the relationship between the two characters develops. On top of this numerous reviewers so far have suggested that the ending is actually very interesting/thought provoking, so I'm excited to reach the end.

Looking forward to playing more, basically I'm going to recommend the game so far, as long as you like good storytelling in video games it's a worthwhile game to support.
    Shadow71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Shadow71

Being a pretty big fan of Heavenly Sword's amazing custcenes, graphics, and voice acting I was pretty excited for Enslaved, which naturally appeared to have the same attention to detail in all of those areas.  The gameplay is passable, and has it's problems...most of which you've probably heard in reviews already:

• The camera zooms in (uncomfortably) too close when fighting any enemies, which is very annoying when you're taking on 3 at a time, and attacking one all of a sudden puts the other two out of view.
    • The platforming isn't terrible, but it appears that gamers are wimps now, because you don't actually have to do any of it correctly, you walk to a ledge and hit "X", there is no way to jump and miss the next ledge, and no way for you to walk off an edge anywhere, the game holds your hand through every sequence. At least in Uncharted you could still die despite the game doing a heavy amount of the work for you.
    • The combat is still PRETTY good, they put in a nice good variety of different attacks that mix it up just enough. (Fast Attack, Strong Attack, Wide Attack, Charge up attack etc.)
    • And of course the story seems really cool so far, I'm really interested to see how the relationship between the two characters develops. On top of this numerous reviewers so far have suggested that the ending is actually very interesting/thought provoking, so I'm excited to reach the end.

Looking forward to playing more, basically I'm going to recommend the game so far, as long as you like good storytelling in video games it's a worthwhile game to support.
    Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pezen

I tried the demo and the general feel of movement and climbing was just off somehow. Walking/running always felt like it had some form of delay to it, as if the world was covered in ice. Also, I always felt like the game could never figure out what I was doing. So as ab example, climbing over something generally first resulted in me jumping ahead of time or too late as in I had to go out of my way to walk up to things before it triggered things, just felt clunky. Never finished the demo, controlling it just feels wrong to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.