Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an action adventure game developed by Ninja Theory and published by Namco-Bandai. A very loose retelling of "Journey to the West," Enslaved follows the story of Monkey and Trip as they attempt to cross a post-apocalyptic Planet Earth.

Hey, there's a demo of this on PSN right now.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Timing

On the EU PSN that is. Sorry US guys, but y'all know how to make a different continent account by now right?

Also, it's not available in Germany because apparently they can't put free 16+ content on there by law. I know, made me laugh as well.

Oh, and it's 1404 freaking MB's big. I mean, I've got plenty of space left, but for some reason the PS3 has never been as fast at downloading for me as the 360 has. Ah well, 13% done!

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Vorbis

Loved the demo and wanted more, will definitly be picking it up.

Aphex666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Aphex666

What a great demo!!! A shame the game wont sell. Monkey FTW!!!

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MisterMouse

can't wait to see some footage of this, looks interesting, but I hate how the main character looks for some reason.

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By fourby

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO! RUNNING TO PS3 NOW!!!!!!!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MeierTheRed

I was sure it was going to blow, so didn't bother downloading it. Guess i will give it a try my self.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

Played it. 

Oh. My. God. Poor framerate. Ugly environments. Awful camera. Pointless, boring, Uncharted-esque platforming. Shallow, mashy combat that makes even games like God of War and Dante's Inferno seem complex.

The people at Capcom who decided that these guys, who can't even make something in the same ballpark as fucking Ninja Blade, should handle the new Devil May Cry need to be shot.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By Timing

Yeah, this kind of disappointed me as well.

You see, I like platforming in my games. What this game has, is not platforming, it is pretend platforming. As far as I could tell, you can only actually jump in designated areas and on top of that it is literally impossible to miss any jump. Basically, whenever there's an edge or a glowing object (come on, really?) on the wall, you press the X button and your (rather silly looking) dude animates himself toward that point. No steering, timing or momentum involved. Real shame.

I also think they went too far in trying to make everything seem like a cinematic experience. It came off to me as trying to hide the loose and clumsy gameplay.

Still, it's only the tutorial I suppose, who knows how the rest of the game will be. But like the guy above me said, it might be a bit of an unfair comparison, but if you've played Uncharted, this really does look like it really wants to be that and unfortunately it fails at it.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By yoctoyotta

Tits, thanks for the heads up, DLing now.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

... HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS?!

*turns on PS3*

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update: Just finished it. It was absolutely what I expected: looked, sounded and felt great.

Totally feel justified in having pre-ordered it now.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Man.  I'm scared for the future of DMC even more now.  Didn't really like the demo at all.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By benjaebe

Really enjoyed the demo. Seems like it's pretty polarizing though: people are either going to love it or hate it.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By GunstarRed

The game is clearly in love with Uncharted 2 and I thought it looked and played pretty nicely. You can't really get a good feel for how any of the platforming/combat works from a  demo that is quite clearly going for spectacle over anything else. It was like a larger version of the train level at the start of Uncharted. There seems to be a lot more going for it from what the clips  showed at the end. There definately looked like some timed platforming in there and some more complex fighting than mash square. 

I'm really interested in the story, Heavenly sword really shined in that department and this has got the movement and voicework down but the lip syching was fucking awful. I continue to be intrigued by it.

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GT-Man

USA STILL RULES!
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By phantomzxro

I will DL it when i get home i don't know what to expect but i liked heavenly sword for what it was. but i must say i'm pretty let down by their direction with DMC to the point of my not wanting to support ninja theory. which is sad i know but i hate that there is no respect for characters and brands anymore, you just can take whatever name and slap a game behind it to add sells to it. But fanboy rage aside i still will give enslaved a fair chance and play it.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

I er....well it's got a great presentation at least.. I could already tell this was the same doods behind Heavenly Sword from the lead character totally having his face based on Andy Serkis. The voice acting is really good, too as goes with its presentation. The gameplay, though, isn't nearly as impressive. The platforming is a complete rip from Uncharted and it's made all the more automatic. Combat is pretty bleh, too, almost feeling too free and loose. Camera has a habit of getting in the way, at that. 

I'm already interested towards the story and characters; it's just a shame I don't share the same enthusiasm to actually playing it. I think the main character's pretty cool aswell, besides that weird Kazuya Mishima hairstyle he's got.

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Riddell

To be honest I wasn't expecting much from the demo, but came away impressed overall. The platforming feels very loose, almost automatic, but the story and characters seem really interesting. Maybe not a buy but definitely a solid rent.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By get2sammyb

It seems very polarizing. I personally loved the hell out of the demo and am literally itching for more. There's some clunkyness to the camera and character movement, but boy, I loved every moment of the demo. I want to know what happens to the characters.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i'll d/l it, thanks

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FunkyHugo

I thought the demo was pretty fantastic, all ready pre ordered the game. It's uncharted 2 with a sci-fi setting.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By mowgers

I was impressed with it. Although I wonder about the length of the final product, there's a lot of lavish presentation here that must've taken up a lot of dev time. Never played Heavenly Sword, but wasn't that quite short?

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By swamplord666

had alot of fun! hopefully it doesn't disappoint and hopefully it'll be a decent length

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By TheHT
    @benjaebe said:
    " Really enjoyed the demo. Seems like it's pretty polarizing though: people are either going to love it or hate it. "
    yeah, judging by this thread alone the game's gonna be pretty divisive.
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vorbis

The press got to play "Several hours" at a press event, so hopefully that means it wasn't the whole game.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By Sooperspy

I'll be renting this one when it comes out.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Griddler

I have been excited by previews and loved the demo, I'm considering buying it on release day... I was especially impressed by the facial animation, it's even better than Uncharted 2 in my opinion.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Venatio

I just played it and I loved it, the action adventure style gameplay with alot of platforming had a great feel to it, the look of the game is astonishing, I love all the bright colors and the world itself looked really intersesting

I also admit that I love these kinds of games

The characters seem like they could be interesting aswell. The trailer they showed at the end blew me away

So yeah, I'm convinced that I wanna play this game, however I'm not convinced on buying it yet, maybe as a rental or at a cheaper pricepoint but I still hope it sells, we need more original IP's

Spadge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spadge

I have a lot to say about this game from the what I've played of the demo, and all of it is good. However, it is very definitely a Ninja Theory game, and therefore prone to polarising the audience. Very much so, from what I've read above.

Still; fucking sweet. will be pre-ordering this.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#30  Edited By beard_of_zeus

Played the demo this morning and was pretty impressed. I can see where some of the comparisons to Uncharted 2 come from, especially with a lot of the platforming from handhold to handhold feeling very similar. A lot of it seemed automated as others have said, but I'm fine with that. And also the fact that the demo was pretty much one big cinematic setpiece (which was awesome, by the way), which is something the Uncharted series did well.

I like how lush and colorful everything looks, we need more games with a more diverse color palette, instead of just brown, light brown, muddy brown, and post-apocalyptic brown, which has seemed to be par for the course for a lot of games this generation :P The characters and story seem genuinely interesting, and the voice acting was really good, but as others have said, the lip syncing was off a lot of the time. That seems a little odd to me, mainly because Heavenly Sword did a really good job with things like that.

Overall, very excited to pick up this game in a couple weeks! GB said on I Love Mondays they were going to have some coverage this week for Enslaved, I'm hoping it's a non-demo Quick Look covering a separate part of the game.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By Catolf

Well I just got done playing the demo and I gotta say, some of the lip syncing was off a little (not much but only a few times) and the jumping did seem automated (not that i mind, I don't personally wanna die 100 times) but I must say the combat was fluid and I LOOOVED the voice acting, it made me believe what they were saying.

Digging Monkey and his gorilla like charm and the girl was pretty and did look in desperate need.

This makes me feel how I felt while playing Jak and Daxter for the first time on my PlayStation 2 when I first got it, pure, joy. I'll preordering, that's for damn sure.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By matpaget

I played it, and I`m kind of on the fence with this one.
    My conclusion is Im going to wait till this one lowers in price!
    I`m positive I`ll be able to pick this up at my local video game store for 40 dollars

JohngPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By JohngPR

After playing both demos, I'm kinda bummed the PS3 version of Enslaved is inferior to the 360 version. The difference isn't major, but I was hoping that Ninja Theory's history with the PS3 would have guaranteed both versions to be the same.

This type of game is right up my alley, but I'm still uncertain if I'm buying now or waiting to get it at a later time. I really enjoyed Heavenly Sword so I've been looking forward to Enslaved, but there are five games in October alone that I'm interested in (Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Enslaved, NBA 2K11, Star Wars: The Forced Unleashed 2, and Fallout: New Vegas) and my budget allows me to get just one of them. I'm torn!

Still, looking forward to playing the game, though!

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By killer_meatballs
    @JohngPR said:
    "  

After playing both demos, I'm kinda bummed the PS3 version of Enslaved is inferior to the 360 version. The difference isn't major, but I was hoping that Ninja Theory's history with the PS3 would have guaranteed both versions to be the same.

This type of game is right up my alley, but I'm still uncertain if I'm buying now or waiting to get it at a later time. I really enjoyed Heavenly Sword so I've been looking forward to Enslaved, but there are five games in October alone that I'm interested in (Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Enslaved, NBA 2K11, Star Wars: The Forced Unleashed 2, and Fallout: New Vegas) and my budget allows me to get just one of them. I'm torn!

Still, looking forward to playing the game, though!

"
    Just curious, in what ways is it inferior? Graphics? Gameplay?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.