I Just beat the game. Some thoughts. (spoilers)

#1 Edited by Raven_Sword (3438 posts) -

First of all before I get into what kinda weirded me out about the game, let me say that this game really surprised me. I thought the animation, graphics and art and story telling were top notch. This game is a real gem I think. And this game has some of the best voice acting this side on uncharted. It only had 3 characters really, but those three characters are really fleshed out, interesting, and you really get get attached to Trip and Monkey, and part of that is due to the amazing voice acting. For example, when trip finaly turns off the headband, and monkey tells her to turn it back on, that really hit me for some reason. It was a rather nice character development for Monkey. And pigsy was super funny I thought, although his sacrafice didnt really have that big of a impact on me.  
 
As I said also, the graphics are really great and some of the best ive seen last year on console. The overgrown post apocalyptic world is rich with detail and great looking textures and lighting. And Andy once again works magic with the mo cap and voice acting. And i was surprised how well trips voice actor did.  
 
Now, lets get into what I didnt like so much. First of all, lets get the ending out of the way. I have no freakin idea how to feel about this one. Its too weird to really know how to feel about it. Was it impactful, yes. Was it weird and random as fuck? absolutely. FMV Andy Serkis was a head scratcher. and the fact that pyramid was actualy a virtual sanctuarey for people to live lives like they would have before the war was the kinda weird that does have some kind of impact on you. For some reason it reminded me of the Assassins Creed endings in its weirdness.  
 
Outside of the ending, The game itself gets repetitive alot. For example, trip literaly has to scan everything before you can even go and do anything. I go to a open area, wanting to be surprised by hidden enemies, but Trip spoils that surprise by scanning the fuck out of everything all the time. I want some surprise you know. Also, I knwo peopel have been complaining about performance issues and or bugs, but really nothing happened to me. the FPS maybe stuttered a few times, and that was it. Maybe that patch I downloaded before playing really helped with it. (I should note I played on 360)   
 
And honestly, I couldnt be the only one thinking monkey was eventualy going to do a kamehameha considering how Dragon ball this freakin game is, and yes, I realize that this and Dragon Ball are all based on a Chinese tale called Monkey or whatever. Dude had a "Cloud" that he rode, like in Dragon ball, he had a staff that looked pretty much like the power pole from Dragon Ball, he climbed like a monkey and was named monkey, goku was s sayain which was a race of warriors with monkey tales that would transform into monkeys and there was a pig man in this, and a pig man in dragonball. And i can only assume there was some kind of pig in that Chinese story.  
 
So yes, not shocking revelations but it was still rather funny I thought.   
 
Overal, I would give the game a 8/10 I think. I dont feel the need to go back, but it was a decent size game and the playthrough you do is certainly a experience.  
#2 Posted by Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 (558 posts) -

I agree with most of what you said. I never watched Dragonball so I didn't have that in the back of my mind as I played. The only thing that got repetetive for me was the combat and the ending is pretty damn strange, but overall it was one of my biggest surprises of last year. I just finished the Pigsy DLC last night and boy is that some good shit. As great as the acting and characterization was in the main game, I feel it's even better in Pigsy's Perfect 10. Check it out if you're so inclined.

Online
#3 Posted by Gooddoggy (409 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:
"And honestly, I couldnt be the only one thinking monkey was eventualy going to do a kamehameha considering how Dragon ball this freakin game is, and yes, I realize that this and Dragon Ball are all based on a Chinese tale called Monkey or whatever. Dude had a "Cloud" that he rode, like in Dragon ball, he had a staff that looked pretty much like the power pole from Dragon Ball, he climbed like a monkey and was named monkey, goku was s sayain which was a race of warriors with monkey tales that would transform into monkeys and there was a pig man in this, and a pig man in dragonball. And i can only assume there was some kind of pig in that Chinese story. "
You're spot on about how repetitive the game is - and that's coming from someone who loves it.  That being said, I don't think it's fair to criticize it for being too similar to Dragon Ball, since all the points you bring up are, in fact, from the source novel - one of the main characters is a literal monkey who flies on a cloud and beats dudes up with a huge metal staff.  I mean, if you make a game based on Greek mythology, you can't fault it for having characters that are broadly similar to, say, God of War.
#4 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

just so y'know, early dragonball was based on this
 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_west
 
 
I find the game lacking.
- combat mostly consists of  "get the bitch to distract them bots and make yo way to kill dem."
 
- characters are great but the banter between the character are ... bland.
- it is amazing how people diss Prince of Persia '08 for being 'too simple'. Seeing how Enslaved does the simplified platforming bit (like UC2!), makes PoP'08 look like a work of genius (which it is!). 

- felt like a lot of stuff didn't make it to the final product coz they couldn't vary the  "get the bitch to distract them bots and make yo way to kill dem."  bit
 
- errg was there  a dominant-submissive love sub-plot going on? I really couldn't tell. Those sneaky british developers and their love of all things S&M.
 
- I WILL GIVE THEM THIS. at least their level progression is better than GoW3
1. Climb up mountain.
2. Drop down to hell (again!)
3. Climb up mountain
4. Somewhere!
5. *FLY* up mountain
6. *FLY DOWN* mountain
7. *FLY AGAIN* up mountain 
8. FIGHT ZEUS! (again!)
9. Jump off cliff! (again!)


#5 Posted by Hailinel (23972 posts) -
@Gooddoggy said:
" @Raven_Sword said:
"And honestly, I couldnt be the only one thinking monkey was eventualy going to do a kamehameha considering how Dragon ball this freakin game is, and yes, I realize that this and Dragon Ball are all based on a Chinese tale called Monkey or whatever. Dude had a "Cloud" that he rode, like in Dragon ball, he had a staff that looked pretty much like the power pole from Dragon Ball, he climbed like a monkey and was named monkey, goku was s sayain which was a race of warriors with monkey tales that would transform into monkeys and there was a pig man in this, and a pig man in dragonball. And i can only assume there was some kind of pig in that Chinese story. "
You're spot on about how repetitive the game is - and that's coming from someone who loves it.  That being said, I don't think it's fair to criticize it for being too similar to Dragon Ball, since all the points you bring up are, in fact, from the source novel - one of the main characters is a literal monkey who flies on a cloud and beats dudes up with a huge metal staff.  I mean, if you make a game based on Greek mythology, you can't fault it for having characters that are broadly similar to, say, God of War. "
This.  Dragon Ball and Enslaved are only two of many adaptations of Journey to the West.
#6 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
@Hailinel said: 
This.  Dragon Ball and Enslaved are only two of many adaptations of Journey to the West. "
Totally. I loved this show when I was a kid which is also an adaptation of it. 
 
    
#7 Posted by ScoreSetter (76 posts) -
@Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497:
Great to hear about Pigsy's Perfect 10. I just beat the game and will definitely pick it up due to some high praise. 
 
 Also I was surprised to see this title and not hear anything about the final boss/chapter 14. I dunno, I just found that whole final fight really satisfying! Having all that interspersed with the cut sequences really kept the action points feeling great too. Although the final "takedown" of the scorpion I thought could've been a little more epic ;)
#8 Posted by ike7779 (289 posts) -

I'm way late to the party on this game. Just beat the premium edition that came out a few weeks ago.

I'm not having the same problem everyone else is with the ending, I think it could have been good if they fleshed it out more and tied up some of the loose ends about Pyramid and the slaves, but not a big deal to me. The FMV was a little ridiculous.

My problem with the ending is that they left everything between Trip & Monkey unresolved. All the awkward moments and tension between them? Not another word on why Monkey wanted the crown left on? I feel like they missed a great opportunity tying their relationship into the story more.

Other than than the great music, art, and visuals, and solid combat partially made up for the really frustrating at times repetitiveness of the game.

#9 Posted by Sweetz (491 posts) -

I thought the game was decent, but that's all. However, I kept in mind that I'm playing it out of historical context. Had I played it in 2010 I might have had different option.

What I did find very interesting is that you can very clearly see that DNA from Enslaved that went into making the new DmC - and DmC is a far better game. There are definite stylistic and gameplay similarities between the two, but Ninja Theory honed and evolved both aspects into making a better game. Having DmC for comparison is one of the things that made me think less of Enslaved, so that's why I cut the game some slack. It's kind of like playing Assassin's Creed 2 before 1.

Shame about the bare-bones port though. Iron Galaxy's name is literally nowhere to be found on the game. No intro logo, not in the credits, not even in a readme. I'm wondering if it's not exactly their proudest project. I mean it's perfectly stable and runs fine, it's far from the worst port I've ever seen. And dot having detailed settings isn't a big deal, but I wished they put more effort into things like making the shadows not look horrible and eliminating texture popping/LOD scaling - both of which have been done in other PC ports of UE3 games.

#10 Edited by ike7779 (289 posts) -

DmC was definitely a better game than Enslaved. I loved the combat, enemies, and feedback you get from the gameplay in DmC much more than you get from Enslaved.

But Enslaved had WAY more potential with its story. Unfortunately how Enslaved's story actually played out was very underwhelming.

This may only make sense in the context of my experience with the game: I was 2 chapters from the end. At work I peeked at IMDB to see who the voice actors were. So when I saw that Andy Serkis was listed as both Monkey and Pyramid I was like "holy shit, you mean Monkey is Pyramid?! And he didn't want the slave helmet taken off in that one scene? This is going to be the most incredible love story / bittersweet / dark ending of any video game ever." And with the soundtrack having such a great ambient "love lost" theme and emotional touch I really believed it. I actually contemplated taking some time off work so I could go home early and finish the game. Good thing I didn't because the real ending was interesting, but a bit of a let down.

@sweetz said:

Shame about the bare-bones port though. Iron Galaxy's name is literally nowhere to be found on the game. No intro logo, not in the credits, not even in a readme. I'm wondering if it's not exactly their proudest project. I mean it's perfectly stable and runs fine, it's far from the worst port I've ever seen. And dot having detailed settings isn't a big deal, but I wished they put more effort into things like making the shadows not look horrible and eliminating texture popping/LOD scaling - both of which have been done in other PC ports of UE3 games.

Yeah, I didn't even know the port was from Iron Galaxy. I have a huge appreciation for the games they've brought to consoles even though I'm not big into fighting games. Looks like I'm going to have to gift the PC version to a few of my friends on Steam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.