I was playing Enslaved yesterday and noticed something.

• 69 results
#1 Edited by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

The facial animations in this game are just as good as the faces in LA Noire.
 I mean it the faces in this game look amazing and just every bit as good as LA Noire's faces, and  Ninja Theory did without the billion dollar tech that team bondi did. I think it really sucks that LA Noire is hailed as this super amazing game, because of the faces when Enslaved did it half a year earlier. Well yeah LA Noire does have an edge. Team Bondi also spent 200 million more dollars on their game, so it's a bought edge.

#2 Posted by Brendan (8155 posts) -

Ehhh.... 

When I look at them LA Noire seems worlds better to me.  

#3 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
Team ninja
I believe you mean Ninja Theory.  Team Ninja excels at certain other aspects of human anatomy, and not in the most realistic sense.
#4 Posted by Castiel (2742 posts) -

Enslaved is pretty impressive in that regard but I still think L.A. Noire's face animation is better.

#5 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Brendan said:
Ehhh....  When I look at them LA Noire seems worlds better to me.  
did you actually play enslaved?
#6 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
@kingzetta said:
Team ninja
I believe you mean Ninja Theory.  Team Ninja excels at certain other aspects of human anatomy, and not in the most realistic sense.
ooh that's right
#7 Posted by Cubic (171 posts) -

It doesn't quite have the same nuance, but Enslaved does have some pretty expressive faces.

#8 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Castiel said:
Enslaved is pretty impressive in that regard but I still think L.A. Noire's face animation is better.
Well yeah LA Noire does have an edge.
Team Bondi also spent 200 million more dollars on their game, so it's a bought edge.
#9 Posted by DeathByWaffle (655 posts) -

Yeah, the faces in Enslaved are pretty damn great. I think L.A. Noire's were better, but I'd have to go back and compare them

#10 Posted by Cabbage_TheMan (240 posts) -

Does Anna Torv voice the main character in that game?

#11 Posted by CarpetRemnant (375 posts) -

Enslaved faces were amazing but less attention was brought to them because no aspects of the gameplay relied on the faces, would they stand up to hours of careful study like the L.A. Noire faces? I'm not sure they would. 

I think we can all agree that both games are in a league of their own in terms of facial animation.

#12 Posted by theodacourt (546 posts) -

I tend to lean on Noire having better faces, but it is a very close call and I think that right now, it would be better for developers to save their money and use enslaved's technology. At least until Noire's tech has gotten better and cheaper. 

Noire's faces do have a little weirdness with the opening and closing of the mouth sometimes I noticed, but the fact that the face deforms so well and you never feel like it's a character model is where it wins. With Enslaved, monkey's face will look identical in the first and last minute minus the expression where as Noire's is real people and something about that just sells its authenticity for me.

#13 Edited by Yummylee (22574 posts) -

I've only played the demo, but yeah those faces were damn impressive. 

#14 Posted by Ivos (79 posts) -

Enslaved has the best video game eyes I've seen. It really does make all the difference.
Personally I'd say I prefer the way Enslaved does it over LA Noire, since both body and face fit together, while as LA Noire has an awkward disconnect from the neck down.  Great detail + less detail rubs me the wrong way.

Granted, LA Noire does creases in the skin better, because it's directly cast from a real face (and until I've seen a more indepth pipeline for getting the result across I'm hesitant to even call it animation, since it appears to be a 360 degree depth video projected onto a mesh), but in the end a full face and body performance outdoes that in my book.

#15 Posted by Maajin (1089 posts) -

I don't think it even compares. Enslaved faces are great and their care on reproducing human expressions is truly amazing. But nothing on L.A. Noire was "reproduced" what they show is a real person's face, it is on another level.

That said, of course I give much more props to Ninja Theory. Their result was achieved with way less resources and is more consistent as a whole, having also superb body animation.

But no real-time 3D game to date beats the faces of L.A. Noire.

#16 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Yeah I would agree that the facial expressions in Enslaved were a little bit better. They were a little too uncanny valley for me in LA Noire. Those faces were lifelike, but had about the same expressiveness as in Polar Express. But Enslaved made me feel like I was watching a computer animated film made by a company like Pixar and not a man named Zemeckis.

#17 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1162 posts) -

You know what this thread needs, some comparison pics

#18 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Female characters in L.A. Noire look weird. Trip doesn't look weird.

Enslaved wins.

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11406 posts) -

I disagree. I just played Enslaved the other day, and I did it right after finishing LA Noire, and while the faces in Enslaved look pretty good, they aren't as good as LA Noire's. There are a lot more subtle details in LA Noire. 

Plus, Enslaved has three characters. LA Noire has dozens. I think the sheer quantity in LA Noire is pretty impressive. 

#20 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

You know, enslaved had great facial animations but la noire still impressed me further.

As for comparison pictures...

#21 Posted by AuthenticM (3805 posts) -

L.A. Noire has "better" faces, but I prefer Enslaved. I don't want the entire industry to adopt that technology. It feels like cheating. Besides, I can recognize a lot of actors in L.A. Noire, which makes the experience a little weird.

#22 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

the chicks's face animations are indeed fucking amazing, as are her eyes. I digged Enslaved

#23 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -
@AuthenticM

Is it weird when you recognize actors in a movie or TV show?
#24 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

They both do it very well, the difference is that Enslaved does it without it looking slightly creepy, simply because the whole body is done rather than just the face.

#25 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Ygg said:
Female characters in L.A. Noire look weird. Trip doesn't look weird.  Enslaved wins.
Plus trip is a billion times hotter than anyone in LA Noire, so double win.
#26 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1058 posts) -

I played the hell out of Enslaved and the faces do look great but I think the faces in L.A. Noire look way better.

#27 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -

What is up with all the L.A. Noire hate on these forums?

#28 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@FlyingRat said:
Well it's not hate, it's just enslaved didn't get it's fair share of credit.
#29 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@FlyingRat said:
Pointing out that we think Enslaved looks better does not mean we hate LA Noire.
#30 Edited by DeShawn2ks (1058 posts) -
@kingzetta said:

@FlyingRat said:

Well it's not hate, it's just enslaved didn't get it's fair share of credit.
I think Enslaved got a lot of credit it deserved. Every time I heard something about the game it was about the story, voice acting, and the way the characters emote. All those things I heard is what drove me to finally pick the game up and I am glad I did. It was one of my favorite games last year. The only thing I didn't like about it was the ending and all those stupid orbs. Sucks the game didn't sell better.
#31 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -

I have seen lots of games where animation artists have just amazed me, Assassins Creed and Splinter Cell are quick examples.

#32 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Enslaved's were good; L.A. Noire's are better.

#33 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

I think Enslaved did a great job.

As for LA Noire, from a gameplay angle, the facial animations are a bit too hit and miss; they look downright silly at times.

#34 Posted by ZombiePie (5755 posts) -

Fun fact. Monkey wears a yellow flag which in the homosexual handkerchief code means he enjoys watersports.

#35 Posted by Catarrhal (860 posts) -

For all of Team Bondi's technical accomplishments, I have no real desire to see their "MotionScan" technique adapted by others. Regular-ass performance capture, for which there is no better example than Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, totally works for me. In terms of creating lifelike characters, I'd rather that Ninja Theory were looked to as setting the industry standard, because Cole Phelps, while utterly convincing, is kinda fucking mundane.

#36 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Enslaved also only has 3 characters and not as much dialogue, so they had less work to focus on. Doing facial expression/lip syncing for a short game is a lot easier than doing it for an open world game with over 200 characters. (I believe over 200 was the number of unique NPC's) 

Not saying its bad; it just looks really good next to L.A. Noire because they had less faces to animate and could focus more on the 3 characters..

#37 Posted by Brendan (8155 posts) -
@kingzetta said: 
@Brendan said: 
Ehhh....  When I look at them LA Noire seems worlds better to me.  
did you actually play enslaved?  
Tried Enslaved at a friends house and saw video's on GB.  I've only seen video's on GB for L.A. Noire which aren't in 1080p, so the only one of the two that I've even seen at it's best is Enslaved.  To each his own I suppose. 

@Catarrhal said:
For all of Team Bondi's technical accomplishments, I have no real desire to see their "MotionScan" technique adapted by others. Regular-ass performance capture, for which there is no better example than Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, totally works for me. In terms of creating lifelike characters, I'd rather that Ninja Theory were looked to as setting the industry standard, because Cole Phelps, while utterly convincing, is kinda fucking mundane.
Why can't there be both equally?  I'm sure we could have great realistic based games (of which there are plenty) using Team Bondi's technology and great games in fantastical settings using more traditional motion capture a la Enslaved.  Both look great. 

#38 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

I'm going... to give it to Enslaved. Yes LA Noire looks great.. from face up. Thats my main issue, so much time and effort went into the faces yet the bodies are bleh, not saying they didn't do an awesome job, not saying that, but still the face to body difference is...startling. Enslaved however works both face and body  together nicely and just look a hell of a lot less creepy. I get Team Bondai thier due, great tech went into doing LA Noire, but if they had taken more care into melding the bodies TO the heads, then they would win but right now it's enslaved all the way.

#39 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3245 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
@kingzetta said:
Team ninja
Characters have no fucking pimples or acne.
#40 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -

L.A Noire has better facial animations

#41 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@DAFTPUNK said:
L.A Noire has better facial animations
but you gotta admit from the neck down things look a teeny bit wonky. XD
#42 Posted by Raven10 (1925 posts) -

First off, Team Bondi didn't spend $200 million on their facial animation. Not even Call of Duty has a budget that big. The most I've ever heard of is Star Wars the Old Republic, and that will still come in at under $100 million assuming it comes out within the next year. 

Anyways, I think Enslaved has absolutely amazing facial animations. I haven't played LA Noire yet, but from the videos I've seen it has great facial animations as well.

#43 Posted by Trilogy (2692 posts) -

Enslaved faces do look really nice, especially considering how terrible most video game faces look and animate. That being said, I don't personally believe it looks better than LA Noir in the face department.

#44 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:

Fun fact. Monkey wears a yellow flag which in the homosexual handkerchief code means he enjoys watersports.

There is nothing fun about that fact. 

I think Enslaved has the best facial animations of any game using traditional methods.
#45 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
@Hailinel said:
@kingzetta said:
Team ninja
they meant team ninja games all have giant boobs in them
#46 Posted by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

Enslaved had great faces for being made the traditional way, but they definitely didn't impress me the way LA Noire's did.  

#47 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3245 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
@Hailinel said:
@kingzetta said:
Team ninja
they meant team ninja games all have giant boobs in them
That too.
#48 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -
@Gav47 said:
@ZombiePie said:

There is nothing fun about that fact. 
Well, that entirely depends on who you ask...
#49 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

Enslaved is well worth a rent if you haven't played it already. Haven't picked up LA Noire yet but from the videos it looks like it wins in the face department at least.  

Oh and riding around on Monkey's Cloud is so cool :D

#50 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2400 posts) -

I don't think the animation is as good, in the way that it's mapped, but I do think the design is still excellent. It's all in the aesthetics. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.