I was playing Enslaved yesterday and noticed something.

• 69 results
#51 Posted by Milkman (16484 posts) -

The facial animations in Enslaved are pretty damn good but they are nowhere close to L.A. Noire.

#52 Posted by probablytuna (3524 posts) -
@100_Hertz said:
Enslaved had great faces for being made the traditional way, but they definitely didn't impress me the way LA Noire's did.  
I agree with this.
#53 Posted by jaymorgoth (242 posts) -

I still think L.A. Noire has the better facial technology, I would say it's the next step up from Enslaved. Enslaved has some excellent facial technology and it definitely is more cohesive with the body due to the way they are rendering it. L.A. Noire though captures everything on that face to the point where real life looks like high res versions of those faces to me now. They capture every subtle movement to such a degree that it is possible to look for facial tics and other tells in a person. Enslaved is fantastic and I was definitely impressed, but L.A. Noire is the evolution of that technology to me.

#54 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

The technology is actually very different. Enslaved is using more traditional techniques of capturing movement data from selected points and translating that onto articulated 3D models, while LA Noire actually uses a unique, non-dynamic model that was generated automatically based on the recorded footage for every frame of animation. Pretty much 3D rotoscoping. It allows for more detail, but is a less elegant solution. The tradition mo-cap techniques will catch up eventually as they are continually refined though, so it's very possible that LA Noire's "advanced" and expensive tech will become obsolete in not too long.

#55 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Nope. You been sucking Enslaves dick for a while zetta. You like the game, and you like shitting on other games to validate your like for this game. Enslaved has good faces but LA's still better, Enslaved has good females but Alyx is still better. Stop being butthurt, world keeps turning.

#56 Posted by EVO (3850 posts) -

What about Heavy Rain? 

#57 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -
@EVO

Heavy Rain's facial animations were impressive when I first played it but looking at that video they seemed to have aged pretty poorly.
#58 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Look at the way the lips move in Enslaved compared to LA Noire. The lips in Enslaved aren't nearly as detailed and exact in their movement.

#59 Posted by niamahai (1404 posts) -
eh its not really orange-to-orange comparison cause all those "amazing" facials in Enslaved happen when you're not playing the game (pre-recorded cutscenes using in-game assets), where-else  LA Noire streams all the facial animation data as you play the game.

..also LA Noire have more than 3 faces to animate. So HA!  

Andy Serkis vacation photos should never be a collectible .

#60 Posted by xyzygy (9869 posts) -

No way. You need to remember that Enslaved is 
- MUCH shorter than LA Noire. 
- Has nowhere near the amount of dialog that LA Noire has. 
- Has only 3 characters whereas LA Noire does facial animations for literally hundreds of characters. 

And even then, giving Enslaved the benefit of the doubt, it doesn't look anywhere near as good.

#61 Edited by SubwayD (471 posts) -

On a technical level, L.A. Noire wins hands down. 

Artistically? Then you're getting into a grey area.
@niamahai said:

... all those "amazing" facials in Enslaved happen when you're not playing the game (pre-recorded cutscenes using in-game assets)

Only a handful of particularly huge cut scenes are pre-rendered. The rest of the of the smaller, more nuanced scenes are happing on the fly in-engine.
#62 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2205 posts) -

LA Noire might have the better tech but there are drawbacks that keep it from being perfect. Realistic heads on fake bodies really stands out at times especially in scenes where the head is moving around but the body is stiff and also this weird blurring around the mouths when they talk. Also it is completely reliant on the look of the actors themselves so this technology would be useless in games like Uncharted or Enslaved where those characters have their own individual looks. 

#63 Posted by EVO (3850 posts) -
@JasonR86 said:
@EVO:   Heavy Rain's facial animations were impressive when I first played it but looking at that video they seemed to have aged pretty poorly.
Yeah, just thought I should throw it into the mix. It all comes down to the eyes.
#64 Edited by Beaudacious (926 posts) -
@Raven10: You aren't accounting for the fact an entire separate company was created just to develop this tech, and as this is the flagship game to sell this tech, all that investment transfers over.

Also L.A Noir isn't traditional facial animation, its basically FMV. So Enslaved wins by L.A Noire being ejected from the debate. Its like you guys are comparing Cartoon faces to actual films, this is a different medium that should not be called facial animation, but facial high resolution application or some nonsense.

As well yes L.A Noire has 200 unique npc's, but it took 2 Companies, 7 years, and Rockstar helping, one of the most critically acclaimed studios. So in terms of real world capabilities Enslaved wins again. 

I'm also pretty sure everyone would want most games to follow Enslaved, while only certain games following L.A Noire. I don't want my games to have fmv faces, i want developers to have the freedom of impressionism. Tell me what does L.A Noire's tech do anythign for Sci-fi or anything imaginative?  I don't want games to all be grounded with humanity and its faces, i play games to be transported to worlds where Earthly rules don't apply. A better comparison would be the robot faces from Enslaved, and the Robot faces from L.A Noire.
#65 Posted by dankempster (2249 posts) -

I think it's pretty clear that both games are trying to do different things, and their respective technologies definitely suit their own purpose more than the other - Enslaved's facial animation wouldn't be very useful in terms of interrogation, while L.A. Noire's faces would look out of place in Enslaved's post-apocalyptic  high-fantasy world. Having said that, I think L.A. Noire's facial animation is much more realistic. Enslaved's faces may effectively convey enough human emotions to make Monkey and Trip relatable, but they're nowhere near as intricate as the many tics and tells of the faces rendered in L.A. Noire. 

#66 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4607 posts) -

LOL, no.

#67 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
Nope. You been sucking Enslaves dick for a while zetta. You like the game, and you like shitting on other games to validate your like for this game. Enslaved has good faces but LA's still better, Enslaved has good females but Alyx is still better. Stop being butthurt, world keeps turning.
wow you know me so well, you could marry me for a green card.
#68 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
LOL, no.
no no no.. tell us how you really feel! XP

@dankempster said:
I think it's pretty clear that both games are trying to do different things, and their respective technologies definitely suit their own purpose more than the other - Enslaved's facial animation wouldn't be very useful in terms of interrogation, while L.A. Noire's faces would look out of place in Enslaved's post-apocalyptic  high-fantasy world. Having said that, I think L.A. Noire's facial animation is much more realistic. Enslaved's faces may effectively convey enough human emotions to make Monkey and Trip relatable, but they're nowhere near as intricate as the many tics and tells of the faces rendered in L.A. Noire. 

I agree with this.
#69 Posted by Wolf3 (41 posts) -
@Cabbage_TheMan: You're thinking of Ninja Theory's previous game, Heavenly Sword, where she's the lead.  It's worth checking out too, and is...I don't know, it's well told, artistic, etc., but I got stuck in it 2/3 of the way through.

Enslaved I loved almost from the first second, the gameplay (so far at least) is super un-frustrating and fun, and the story's more interesting to me.  REALLY good game.

Andy Serkis is in both though...though he's the lead in Enslaved (and amazing, both is vocal and physical performance...which I guess goes without saying, considering his previous work!)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.