Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an action adventure game developed by Ninja Theory and published by Namco-Bandai. A very loose retelling of "Journey to the West," Enslaved follows the story of Monkey and Trip as they attempt to cross a post-apocalyptic Planet Earth.

Is Enslaved the Next Beyond Good & Evil?

Hate_Machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hate_Machine

Both games were story-driven, distinctive looking platformers. Both were well-received by critics but sold poorly (because they were released in the middle of huge holiday seasons). And both have a small but vocal group of gamers that consider them modern masterpieces. So, with all the people clamoring for a new Beyond Good & Evil, and all the publicity that the HD remake received, I was wondering if any of you think Enslaved will amass the same sort of cult following in the future. 

Also, what other recent, overlooked games do you think players will want remade/serialized in the coming years?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

Who the hell ever said Enslaved is a 'masterpiece'?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

You also forgot the fact that both game have the letter "E" in their title.

There are so many games I can point out that match your description im not even going to bother.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Getz

@MysteriousBob said:

Enslaved is as much a masterpiece as Beyond Good and Evil. Neither actually are, but they're both excellent and have little chance of sequels so people trump them up to compensate.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5  Edited By MachoFantastico

Not sure, but I can tell you that I'd much prefer a sequel to Enslaved then a Devil May Cry game. Haven't got any interest in their DMC game, hopefully we will see more Enslaved at some point.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Getz said:

@MysteriousBob said:

Enslaved is as much a masterpiece as Beyond Good and Evil. Neither actually are, but they're both excellent and have little chance of sequels so people trump them up to compensate.

Ah. Like SOTC. Gotcha. Gaming hipsters will push any game with a decent art style and doesn't include guns.
    Hate_Machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hate_Machine
    @MysteriousBob: ok, masterpiece might be a bit much. However, I had just read the destructoid review calling it "one of the very best experiences released on consoles in a long, long time" ... so that's something
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

It's not that great.

I rented it for a week and only played it twice because it's just kind of boring.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Hate_Machine said:
    @MysteriousBob: ok, masterpiece might be a bit much. However, I had just read the destructoid review calling it "one of the very best experiences released on consoles in a long, long time" ... so that's something
    To that I say: 
    "lol, destructoid"
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Getz

@MysteriousBob: Hmm, I actually consider Shadow of the Colossus to be one of my favorite games but when I think about it, yeah it's not a "masterpiece"

I can't actually think of any game I would call a masterpiece without hyperbole. It'd have to be a game with little to no flaws; I can't think of a game like that.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptBedlam

It's not not even close to greatness. I played through it and to be honest, I didn't enjoy it that much. Visual style and characters are the best things about the game. Everything else is mediocre at best.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

@Hate_Machine said:

There's your mistake. Don't take Destructoid reviews seriously. Problem solved.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Akeldama

That game has a ton of heart and a ton of issues. Masterpiece? No. A game worth playing and worth buying? Certainly.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Venatio

I loved Enslaved, such a delightfully weird ending

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16  Edited By JasonR86

I don't think Enslaved is as good as Beyond Good and Evil so I doubt it will have the same cult following.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ikwal

Enslaved has really great characters that you actually care about. But the gameplay is nothing more than decent.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @MysteriousBob said:
    @Getz said:

@MysteriousBob said:

Ah. Like SOTC. Gotcha. Gaming hipsters will push any game with a decent art style and doesn't include guns.

Like Shadow Of The Colossus?  

Are you retarded?  

Team ICO would have no interest in making a direct sequel to one of their games.  

Also SOTC is a spiritual successor to ICO, and for all we know the same could be said for Last Guardian. 

ICO and SOTC are both masterpieces and some of the finest creations in the entire industry. If you don't understand it than sucks to be you but go troll elsewhere.
    dastly75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dastly75

I'd love a sequel to Enslaved but I won't hold my breath...

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By dragonzord

@ikwal said:

Enslaved has really great characters that you actually care about. But the gameplay is nothing more than decent.

characterS? Really? Because I recall wanting to bash Trip's face in the entire game. There's literally no reason for anyone to look fondly at that character. There is nothing redeeming about her other than, 'oh no i'm a troubled hot girl.. ps i just forced someone to do my work against their will after leaving them to die on a crashing airship'

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By alexisg

@Akeldama said:

That game has a ton of heart and a ton of issues. Masterpiece? No. A game worth playing and worth buying? Certainly.

I think this sums up Enslaved pretty nicely. Its got a ton of heart and something which really doesn't come through or at least didn't start to grab hold onto me until about half way through the game. At the very least it's the game I use most often in my mockups here in the office. Probably also why I am posting about it right now since I have been busy in Photoshop for the last week with Trip and Monkey.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Brendan

I really wish that Enslaved had been better wrapped up at the ending. Just like PoP 2008 these games stop abruptly, leave you wanting more, and then disappear. I didn't think Enslaved was a masterpiece but it was interesting enough that I wanted to see how things could pan out from it's stopping point.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By avidwriter

@MysteriousBob said:

Who ever said Beyond Good and Evil was a 'masterpiece'?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Brendan

@avidwriter said:

@MysteriousBob said:

Who ever said Beyond Good and Evil was a 'masterpiece'?

Games that don't have a huge audience develop more closed communities then say, Call of Duty, where there is much less criticism against it because the only people who are talking about it at all like it a lot. Positive opinion snowballs over time until games like these are considered to be world-ending works of God.

Special_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Special_K

I enjoyed Enslaved and played it to completion, but I found Beyond Good & Evil to be much more memorable. Having said that, I'm not sure there's a better game this generation than Enslaved to make the comparison you're making. Quality games with a big budget don't seem to slip through the cracks as much as they used to. I think this trend is more a testament to cautious publishers than clueless gamers. Publishers are more afraid to take risks because of games like BG&E that should have sold like crazy but didn't.

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bingbangboom

I really liked Enslaved although I thought it was too slow at times. A sequel would be great but would never happen. There is just so much of that world unexplored but interesting. It is one of the first apocalyptic games that looks beautiful. Ending was pretty weird though. There wasn't a real pay off and the story had a weird flow especially with the chapters. It is one of those games that I bet other developers will play and get ideas for their games.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @Getz said:

@MysteriousBob said:

I'm pretty sure that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is going to happen. However, I preferred Enslaved. If not for the wonky-as-hell combat, I'd love it more.
    Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Dreamfall31

I liked Enslaved quite a bit, but I recently picked it back up and finished it after almost a year of not doing so. It was hard to get back into the combat and I kind of saw why I stopped playing it when I did (though ME3 for PS3 was probably the main reason I put Enslaved down). It has it's strengths, mostly visual and character development. The gameplay is just okay, though very frustrating if you come back to it cold. I enjoyed finishing it, but I think the awe I had when I first played it dissapeared. Also the framerate was kind of a bitch...got really laggy to the point where I think it gave me a headache and was almost unbearable.Still enjoyed it quite a lot, I just had wished I didn't lose intrest in it a year back and had finished it while I still was really into it.

As for the Beyond Good and Evil comparisons, I kind of see how it can be compared. They were both pretty under the radar when they came out, didn't sell well, and have similar-ish gameplay. The only differences I can see are that BG&E has a much bigger cult following and I personally thing BG&E is a far superior game. It had so much more variety between the good combat, decent stealth, the open world, and boat driving. That and I like the world of BG&E much more. I kind of got tired of Enslaved's settings, even though they tried to vary them. I have played BG&E multiple times (and gotta play the HD remake soon!), but I don't think I will ever play Enslaved again. It was great, but it's repetitive gameplay kinda makes it playable only once. Not sure either need a sequel, but since they are supposedly working on BG&E2 I will gladly welcome more of that world and Jade!

I do have to give props for trying a new IP out though, it seems less and less big budgeted games are new creations. I'd love to see more risks like Enslaved or BG&E taken by studios! I mean they make billions off of their top selling stuff, why not get a bit more creative?

Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CaptainCharisma

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Enslaved. One of my favorite games I've ever played. I can see why that is not the same for others but even the ending was something I liked. And video games are the worst at giving conclusions that balance both new questions and answers.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By Hailinel

@SpencerTucksen said:

@Getz said:

@MysteriousBob said:

I'm pretty sure that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is going to happen. However, I preferred Enslaved. If not for the wonky-as-hell combat, I'd love it more.

It's questionable. Ubisoft has shown that they're working on it with a teaser trailer, but since then, we've gotten nothing.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
    @dastly75 said:
    I'd love a sequel to Enslaved but I won't hold my breath...
    Same. I really liked that game a lot but I have a feeling we'll see another Shenmue before we see an Enslaved sequel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.