Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an action adventure game developed by Ninja Theory and published by Namco-Bandai. A very loose retelling of "Journey to the West," Enslaved follows the story of Monkey and Trip as they attempt to cross a post-apocalyptic Planet Earth.

Just Played the Demo. Some Preliminary Thoughts.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Edited By Undeadpool

The best way I can think to describe this game with shorthand, which is a practice I actually hate doing but recognize the benefit of, is God of War meets Assassin's Creed by way of Jak and Daxter. If that sounds like a mish-mash, that's because it kind of is. The combat is the usual character-action game fare, weak hit, strong hit, combine them to combo, etc, etc, but the traversal is very Assassin's Creed-like in that you jump from handhold to handhold and even have context-sensitive jumping. There were a couple of times I found myself rolling up to a ledge instead of jumping over it, but the game doesn't seem to allow you to roll off the ledge, which is nice of them. The Jak and Daxter part comes from some gameplay I saw in the post-demo trailer that looked like it'd have you riding a disc at incredible speeds down a river, using your staff as a projectile weapon (firing blasts from it, not throwing it) and generally seemed to have the same varied, platforming-based gameplay that made Jak and Daxter famous. 
       Overall I have to say, this demo REALLY impressed me. Coupled with the Quick Look, I might actually pick this up. The graphics are easily the weakest link the chain, but I've never played games solely cause they look pretty, and I'm not gonna start now. The animations are really fluid so far and there are some cool cinematic touches, like when you take down the final enemy, it does a quick zoom-in on the killing blow. I also REALLY like the character design I've seen so far, the fellow is burly and intimidating, but still lean enough that his ridiculous acrobatic feats aren't ENTIRELY unbelievable and the lady is, gasp, not just eye candy, but that's a whole other rant. Well done, demo. You've won at least a rental.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Undeadpool

The best way I can think to describe this game with shorthand, which is a practice I actually hate doing but recognize the benefit of, is God of War meets Assassin's Creed by way of Jak and Daxter. If that sounds like a mish-mash, that's because it kind of is. The combat is the usual character-action game fare, weak hit, strong hit, combine them to combo, etc, etc, but the traversal is very Assassin's Creed-like in that you jump from handhold to handhold and even have context-sensitive jumping. There were a couple of times I found myself rolling up to a ledge instead of jumping over it, but the game doesn't seem to allow you to roll off the ledge, which is nice of them. The Jak and Daxter part comes from some gameplay I saw in the post-demo trailer that looked like it'd have you riding a disc at incredible speeds down a river, using your staff as a projectile weapon (firing blasts from it, not throwing it) and generally seemed to have the same varied, platforming-based gameplay that made Jak and Daxter famous. 
       Overall I have to say, this demo REALLY impressed me. Coupled with the Quick Look, I might actually pick this up. The graphics are easily the weakest link the chain, but I've never played games solely cause they look pretty, and I'm not gonna start now. The animations are really fluid so far and there are some cool cinematic touches, like when you take down the final enemy, it does a quick zoom-in on the killing blow. I also REALLY like the character design I've seen so far, the fellow is burly and intimidating, but still lean enough that his ridiculous acrobatic feats aren't ENTIRELY unbelievable and the lady is, gasp, not just eye candy, but that's a whole other rant. Well done, demo. You've won at least a rental.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

The combat sucked.

The graphics were good though.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Undeadpool

I'm a little worried about the lack of lock-on, but I had no problem with it.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It was too simple for my taste. I hope it doesn't turn out to be just another action game, because the graphics and story look like they have a lot of potential if done right.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By ReyGitano

I thought the game had a great look after watching the quicklook, but nothing about that game left me super impressed. Maybe it's something you just have to play?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Undeadpool
    @SlashseveN303 said:

" I thought the game had a great look after watching the quicklook, but nothing about that game left me super impressed. Maybe it's something you just have to play? "  

It is! I was really "meh" after the Quick Look, but I picked up the demo, and the demo REALLY impressed me. 

@FancySoapsMan said:

" It was too simple for my taste. I hope it doesn't turn out to be just another action game, because the graphics and story look like they have a lot of potential if done right. "

It looks like the combat's going to get a LOT deeper as the game goes on, they just don't want to overwhelm you. That's my hope, anyway. I just S-ranked Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions with a horrendous lock-on and a bunch of useless combos (still a REALLY fun game, though), so...I dunno, it was kinda refreshing. It also seems like the combat isn't the sole focus of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.