Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an action adventure game developed by Ninja Theory and published by Namco-Bandai. A very loose retelling of "Journey to the West," Enslaved follows the story of Monkey and Trip as they attempt to cross a post-apocalyptic Planet Earth.

Late to the game: Enslaved

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 20

Edited By Mikey2D

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, is a third person acton adventure game developed by Ninja Theory. The game takes place in a savage jungle like version of New York city which sees main character Monkey tasked with getting a young girl by the name of Trip 300 miles back to her home.

In an article in which I find myself playing a game rather late after its release, I picked up Enslaved for £10 on the cheap. I decided I would write down my thoughts having played through chapters 1 - 3 thus far. It may continue - or it may fall to the way side (It's not like my blog entries ever really get read anyway :P). My previous exposure to the game had been a few articles, a video or two and my way back when encounter with the demo which let you play through chapter 1 of the game.

The first thing that stuck me about the game was the lack of audio options regarding the character dialouge. After the first scene I found myself putting the subtitles on as I was having a hard time hearing what anyone was saying. Although well voice actted the sound design seems rather poor with both dialouge and sound effects all dumped into one universal slider on the options and with the sound effects high and the vocals seemingly low there is very little to avoid this issue beyond doing as I did and putting on the subs. Had this been tweaked a little I believe I would have had a much more enjoyable experience as I am playing this game primarily for its story.

As for the story itself - it is very enjoyable. Ninja Theory have always been good at creating unique and vibrant worlds and telling good stories. Enslaved offers strong chemistry between the two main characters Trip and Monkey - even in the early chapters of the game. It's a character chemistry that I look forward to seeing develop and evolve throughout the advancement of the plot.

The odd couple - Monkey and Trip

The world and the characters are very unique. I like the abandoned jungle style New York that gives you something beautiful to look at in cold, hard contrast to the various rusted and violent robots that inhabit it. Another calling card of Ninja Theory is the true talent that lies in their art department to bring such robotic creatures to life from intricate robotic dragon flies to vicious mechanical dogs.

The gameplay is, okay. Sadly I believe the actual gameplay to be one of the weakest links in chain. It's not that its terrible - it's playable but combat is so far certainly lacking in depth. Monkey has a hard and light attack, a charged attack, a wide attack and block and dodge. He also has the ability to fire plasma from his staff but it's doesn't exactly make for a deep and meaingful combat system. Fighting robots can feel frustrating - especially when a timer counts down over their heads to them 'calling for backup' - they simply seem impossible to stop as they run down to 0 and more of their robotic buddies join the fray. Perhaps as i'm early in the game I've yet to really grasp how to avoid such annoyances. But if anything - my biggest concern is what this means for the future of the Devil May Cry franchise. Now called 'DMC' and left in the hands of Ninja Theory will they ever really be able to deliver a combat system befitting of one of the greatest demonic bad asses the video game world has ever seen? If Enslaved and their other game Heavenly Sword are anything to go by...well let's just say i'm worried.

On top of the combat you have Monkey doing what his name sake would imply - climbing like one. The platforming of this game with jumping from crumbling ledge to toppling metal structures borrows heavily from the mechanics mastered by Naughty Dog for the Uncharted series - even going as far as borrowing the now world renowned cinematic camera views as a set piece crumbles around a climber.

Finally you have perhaps the biggest achievement for Ninja Theory. Creating a companion character I actually care and feel protective over. There's just something about Trip that leads me to want to help her. So far presented as being very innocent she seems like a fish out of water to the violent world around her...although i have my supicions that as the story advances she might not be as innocent as i first believe. The chemistry between the two characters is certainly a staple in this healthy diet of care and protectiveness - even if she has straped a bomb to my characters head to make him do her bidding I want to see it through and get her home.

Lifting Trip up for a piggy back is just one of the ways to help increase the feeling of Monkey being her protector
    Lifting Trip up for a piggy back is just one of the ways to help increase the feeling of Monkey being her protector
    Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mikey2D

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, is a third person acton adventure game developed by Ninja Theory. The game takes place in a savage jungle like version of New York city which sees main character Monkey tasked with getting a young girl by the name of Trip 300 miles back to her home.

In an article in which I find myself playing a game rather late after its release, I picked up Enslaved for £10 on the cheap. I decided I would write down my thoughts having played through chapters 1 - 3 thus far. It may continue - or it may fall to the way side (It's not like my blog entries ever really get read anyway :P). My previous exposure to the game had been a few articles, a video or two and my way back when encounter with the demo which let you play through chapter 1 of the game.

The first thing that stuck me about the game was the lack of audio options regarding the character dialouge. After the first scene I found myself putting the subtitles on as I was having a hard time hearing what anyone was saying. Although well voice actted the sound design seems rather poor with both dialouge and sound effects all dumped into one universal slider on the options and with the sound effects high and the vocals seemingly low there is very little to avoid this issue beyond doing as I did and putting on the subs. Had this been tweaked a little I believe I would have had a much more enjoyable experience as I am playing this game primarily for its story.

As for the story itself - it is very enjoyable. Ninja Theory have always been good at creating unique and vibrant worlds and telling good stories. Enslaved offers strong chemistry between the two main characters Trip and Monkey - even in the early chapters of the game. It's a character chemistry that I look forward to seeing develop and evolve throughout the advancement of the plot.

The world and the characters are very unique. I like the abandoned jungle style New York that gives you something beautiful to look at in cold, hard contrast to the various rusted and violent robots that inhabit it. Another calling card of Ninja Theory is the true talent that lies in their art department to bring such robotic creatures to life from intricate robotic dragon flies to vicious mechanical dogs.

The gameplay is, okay. Sadly I believe the actual gameplay to be one of the weakest links in chain. It's not that its terrible - it's playable but combat is so far certainly lacking in depth. Monkey has a hard and light attack, a charged attack, a wide attack and block and dodge. He also has the ability to fire plasma from his staff but it's doesn't exactly make for a deep and meaingful combat system. Fighting robots can feel frustrating - especially when a timer counts down over their heads to them 'calling for backup' - they simply seem impossible to stop as they run down to 0 and more of their robotic buddies join the fray. Perhaps as i'm early in the game I've yet to really grasp how to avoid such annoyances. But if anything - my biggest concern is what this means for the future of the Devil May Cry franchise. Now called 'DMC' and left in the hands of Ninja Theory will they ever really be able to deliver a combat system befitting of one of the greatest demonic bad asses the video game world has ever seen? If Enslaved and their other game Heavenly Sword are anything to go by...well let's just say i'm worried.

On top of the combat you have Monkey doing what his name sake would imply - climbing like one. The platforming of this game with jumping from crumbling ledge to toppling metal structures borrows heavily from the mechanics mastered by Naughty Dog for the Uncharted series - even going as far as borrowing the now world renowned cinematic camera views as a set piece crumbles around a climber.

Finally you have perhaps the biggest achievement for Ninja Theory. Creating a companion character I actually care and feel protective over. There's just something about Trip that leads me to want to help her. So far presented as being very innocent she seems like a fish out of water to the violent world around her...although i have my supicions that as the story advances she might not be as innocent as i first believe. The chemistry between the two characters is certainly a staple in this healthy diet of care and protectiveness - even if she has straped a bomb to my characters head to make him do her bidding I want to see it through and get her home.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JasonR86

Can't wait to hear what you have to say after you beat it.

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mikey2D

@JasonR86: Thanks for the encouragement to actually continue writting this, glad to know someone is interested :P

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By wjb

I enjoyed Enslaved, but I think I liked the game less the more I played it.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Panpipe

Good post. Keep going!

Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Bawlsz

I really enjoyed the game, but hated the combat, found it a chore, the camera is very wonky zooming in and out too quickly, leaving me a bit disorientated and getting hit by enemies because of the poor camera.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By EightBitShik

I picked up Enslaved like stupid cheap with some credit I had and played the first two levels and I was enjoying the game but other shit came out and I never went back to it. It's on my list though of games I need to finish http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/eightbitshik/8bitshiks-burner/46-69370/ I honestly don't know when I will get to it but this post made me bump it up a little on my list.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By CosmicQueso

@EightBitShik said:

I picked up Enslaved like stupid cheap with some credit I had and played the first two levels and I was enjoying the game but other shit came out and I never went back to it. It's on my list though of games I need to finish http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/eightbitshik/8bitshiks-burner/46-69370/ I honestly don't know when I will get to it but this post made me bump it up a little on my list.

Numbers 11 and 14 you can finish off pretty quick. But X-Men Destiny? Why would you torture yourself so?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Ramone

I really liked this game. Great looking and a great, well-told story.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By EightBitShik

@CosmicQueso: Haha, my roommate got it as a free copy from where he works and despite playing an hour of it and screaming at how bad it was I'll suffer through it to get the easy achievements, I know it's sad that I would. I'm actually playing Infamous right now pretty heavily even though it's not at the top of my list I'm surprised that I like this game so much considering it is pretty bad at certain parts and annoying as hell with the sniping from the buildings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.